Late 2009 iMac running extremely hot after upgrade to Mavericks from Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by OldCorpse, Jul 7, 2014.

1. OldCorpse macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Late 2009 iMac i7 2.8Ghz 8GB RAM. A couple of hours ago, I upgraded the OS from SL 10.6.8 to Mavericks 10.9.4.

Immediately after the upgrade completed, the iMac was red hot. I repaired permissions and shut it down to let it cool off. I turned it back on after it cooled off and immediately repaired permissions again. Very soon, the iMac was running extremely hot again.

I can feel it very hot to the touch. It's cool in the room, so that's not it (it's evening). According to iStatPro:

HD: 142 F
    CPU: 133 F
    GPU Diod: 190 F
    GPU Heatsink: 181 F
    Mem Controller: 130 F
    Power Supply 2: 140

Fans: HD 1798 rpm
    CPU 2921 rpm

I can hear the fans running full speed.

I'm not running anything special - and remember, it was already extremely hot right after the upgrade, before I even logged in.

I looked at Activity Monitor and I don't see anything special, except for a process called "mdworker" at 30% CPU... could that be responsible? Is it like spotlight or something?

Should I be concerned?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

mdworker is Spotlight indexing your drive and files. It is normal for it to index the drive when a new version of OS X is installed. It will finish in about an hour or two, depending on how many files you have and what kind they are.

3. OldCorpse thread starter macrumors 65816

OldCorpse

Thank you, Intell. Hopefully, it'll cool down after that. Whew!