Late 2010 MBP with 8GB RAM--should I upgrade to Yosemite?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mackingtosh, Nov 7, 2014.

1. mackingtosh macrumors newbie

I am the resident IT team for my 60 something parents' Late 2010 MacBook Pro. I've maxed the RAM and upgraded through to Mavericks at this point. Should I upgrade to Yosemite? Anyone upgraded yet? Positives, negatives?

2. kslingo macrumors member

Im using my 2010 MB Pro with Yosemite & 8gb of ram. No problems really. Only thing that doesn't work is Handoff and Instant Hotspot, but no big deal...

3. ghanwani macrumors 6502a

I am on Yosemite with 4 GB! It seems to work fine, but I only really do browsing/watching youtube.

It was slow the first few days but that was probably because the OS was busy creating its search indexes.

The only other noticeable thing (since I was coming from 10.6.8) was that the computer doesn't like it when I download apps from 'net. It wants me to go through the App Store.

Otherwise everything is pretty stable.

4. airattack111 macrumors member

Yes definitely! It looks so much nicer and runs smooth.

5. Harry Muff macrumors regular

That's Gatekeeper. Go into Security & Privacy in System Preferences (General tab) to switch that off.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

No. Just No. They are a generation where the radio in a car would stay almost the same for a decade. Yosemite looks very different, stay on Mavericks