Late 2011 13" MBP - turns on for a few seconds with fan on full blast then turns off

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by davie18, Jun 6, 2015.

1. davie18, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015

davie18 macrumors regular

As described in the title. This is possible caused by liquid damage but I won't bore you with the details of how that occurred.

To summarise this is what happens:
    - most of the time when I press the power button, nothing at all happens.
    - it doesn't even respond to the charger being plugged in most of the time (as in the light doesn't come on, but sometimes it has done)
    - when it does turn on, the fan is usually on full blast
    - sometimes after it had turned on and then off, it'll randomly turn itself back on a few minutes later without me doing anything.

I left it for a few days and it still won't turn on. Any advice on what I could try? Is it worth trying to stick the components in a bag of rice or will that just be a waste of time?

I've taken it all apart and everything looks fine. Also I find t strange how it did manage to turn on fine this morning and the fan didn't come on full blast and then I got to the login screen but then the keyboard wasn't responding.

But yeah I'm basically just asking if there's anything I can try. I'm happy to take it apart and even replace parts myself if I know it'll probably fix it.

2. davie18 thread starter macrumors regular

3. ZombiePhysicist macrumors 6502

ZombiePhysicist

IF it was in water power it down and keep it OFF!!!! YEs, put it in a bag of rice for 3 days.

Also, it make help to take the back off when drying it out if that's possible as the enclosure will work hard to retian any water.

Take it apart as much as you're comfortable with before drying out.

If it wasn't plain water, you should probably try to get some canned air to blow out as much of the much as possible. There is also this canned air ice stuff that freezes what you cover and evaporates and might help with getting rid of sticky coffee stuff.

Good luck.

4. davie18 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for he reply.

After much experimenting, I've found the laptop works absolutely fine whenever the keyboard isn't plugged in. The second I plug it in and turn it on all of the problems start, and it is totally unusable. So the keyboard has obviously suffered major damage and is causing issues to the whole system when I plug it into the mobo.

Anyways glad I've found the issue and I can use it fine now with an external keyboards, and replacements can be bought on the Internet for only £30, so I think I'm very lucky my laptop has survived this with only a broken keyboard!