Late-2012 iMac - Use as PC Monitor with MDP

Discussion in 'iMac' started by wndzr, Jun 10, 2013.

1. wndzr macrumors newbie

I picked up the new iMac a few months back, a generous 27-inch one that sits proudly on my desk. However, with the upcoming release of Battlefield 4, I've decided to buy myself a PC too that will be used solely for gaming.

My question is, quite simply - can I use my iMac as a monitor using any sort of wire? I'm not bothered about having to buy something, I just need to know whether or not I need to splash out on a second monitor to go on my desk.

I appreciate there has been some discussion around this topic before, but having seen this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6C3YjHGhm_I - I'm starting to think there may be hope.

Apparently he used a Mini Display Port to Mini Display Port wire, from his graphics card on the PC to the back of the iMac - is this true?

Cheers!

2. DLary macrumors member

Unfortunately, the late 2012 iMac requires a thunderbolt connection and will not work as a monitor with a mini displayport. I don't think anyone has been successful in connecting a PC with thunderbolt graphics to a late 2012 iMac either.