Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vbman213

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Something I just noticed and possibly had out of the box (this is about a month old now). I know the clutch cover is just plastic but if I hold the machine up into the light or rub my finger along the rear edge when closed, I can feel (and see) that the interface between the lower case and the clutch cover is not perfectly flush on one side. The clutch cover is lifted up by like half a milimeter or so. The side is the exhaust side (side with the fan) so I'm wondering if heat can cause the clutch cover to warp and release from the display. Anyways, its a very minor thing. Probably the most "major" thing I've seen on this unit that could warrant a repair. Any suggestions? I'll post pictures in a few minutes.

vbman213

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I can't imagine what I could have done to it. I've never taken it out of my house, never dropped, never mishandled, etc. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to my equipment (hence why I'm noticing this). And it isn't the entire display assembly that is off kilter. If I apply just a little pressure to the deformed clutch cover, it becomes flush again. The display assembly itself is sturdy, it is just the clutch cover that is a bit warped.

Attachments

• IMG_20140222_193620.jpg
    IMG_20140222_193620.jpg
    749.3 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_20140222_193647.jpg
    IMG_20140222_193647.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 158

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I can't imagine what I could have done to it. I've never taken it out of my house, never dropped, never mishandled, etc. I'm pretty OCD when it comes to my equipment (hence why I'm noticing this). And it isn't the entire display assembly that is off kilter. If I apply just a little pressure to the deformed clutch cover, it becomes flush again. The display assembly itself is sturdy, it is just the clutch cover that is a bit warped.

From the description and pictures, it sounds like a defect. Get Apple to fix it.

Having that kind of defect would bother me. And for what you paid, you shouldn't feel like you have to live with it.

jakespeed

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
I have had this (to a varying degree) on many MacBooks. I'm very picky about this tuff so it always bugs me. Rather than return it, just realign it. It is a VERY simple fix and there IS no substitute for doing it yourself. I don't think there is an easier repair on these laptops than this.

Get a P4 screwdriver pop off the bottom screws. Near the hinge on both sides you will see a small triangle covered with a small black rubber cover. Pull those off and loosen the screws under each one (Phillips 00 if i remember right), this will allow you to realign the screen and bottom, while holding it tight, tighten the hinge screws. Reinstall the rubber covers, the bottom panel and enjoy your new alignment. Total time is no more than 10 minutes...just be careful not to lose this bottom cover screws.

If you don't have the P4, its here...and a worthwhile investment....http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GY8FEOE/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edit - I just realized your talking about he bottom plate. That ones even easier. When thats misaligned or sticking up just pull it off, make sure there is no debris on one of the edges and then tighten it back down aligned correctly. Unless something is bulging inside it should lay nice and flat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.