Late 2013 15" rMBP won't connect to TV via HDMI cable

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Elantris, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Elantris macrumors newbie

I'm trying to connect my late 2013 15" rMBP to my TV using an HDMI cable, but when I plug it in the screen on the MBP briefly flashes black, nothing happens and my TV shows NO SIGNAL.

The TV and HDMI cable work perfectly with my PS3, so I don't think they're the problem. As far as I'm aware everything on my Mac is up to date.

Has anyone encountered a similar problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks

2. rapicell macrumors regular

Is the settings for the for the resolution usable for the tv? My samsung didn't accept the resolution I wanted and my macbook flashed and then the tv went to no signal like yours did.

3. Elantris thread starter macrumors newbie

I've tried it on all resolutions and none seem to work.

4. Elantris thread starter macrumors newbie

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Which model is it? With iGPU only or with dGPU?
    If the latter, are you sure you are running on nVidia?

6. raptor402 macrumors 6502

As far as I know, the dGPU models automatically switch to the dGPU when an external display is connected.

Have you tried connecting your rMBP to another display via HDMI?

Raptor

7. Elantris thread starter macrumors newbie

2.3/16/512/750M

No, I don't have another display available.

8. Alrescha macrumors 68020

This may have little to do with MacBooks, but if you haven't done it, try reversing the HDMI cable. Yes, I know, they aren't supposed to have direction, but I own at least one cable that works one way, but not the other.

A.

9. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Correct, unless you've deliberately blocked it with gfxCardStatus.

10. cvest macrumors newbie

I have the same exact problem, yet i do tend to set gfx to Integrated only. If this is enabled will it prevent a signal being sent to the external display?

11. raptor402 macrumors 6502

In my experience, gfxCardStatus switches to discrete when an external display is connected even if it's set to force iGPU. However, that might be limited to my model (mid-2010 15" MBP) because in many cases, quitting apps that require the dGPU when on force iGPU automatically to force dGPU. That issue doesn't seem to affect my father's 15" rMBP.

In any case, the issue is most likely between the adapter and the cable. I have a cheap third-party miniDP to HDMI adapter and I often face an issue similar to yours. I need to push the cable in. It's a lot like forcing in a slightly loose plug into a wall-socket. Also, ensure that you have selected the correct HDMI input port on your TV. In many cases, selecting auto-detect just doesn't work, even if there is no other device connected.

Raptor

12. Elantris thread starter macrumors newbie

I've taken the advice from the above comments, but I'm still not having any luck. I've tried reversing the HDMI cable, I don't use gfxCardStatus and I have made sure the correct HDMI setting was selected on my TV.

Could this be a problem with the MacBook itself? I have had it since November and this is the first time I have attempted to use the HDMI port.

13. priitv8 macrumors 68020

If you open System Info and section Graphics/Displays (having TV connected via HDMI), what do you see?
    I've attached my report for reference.

Attached Files:

14. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Which resolutions? Have you tried setting the TV as the primary? The resolutions for your built-in display probably won't work with your TV.

15. Elantris thread starter macrumors newbie

This is with the HDMI connected. The laptop and TV don't recognise each other.

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 20.52.00.png

All of the 'Scaled' resolution options on the Mac. How do I set the TV as primary? It won't show an image from the laptop at all.

16. priitv8 macrumors 68020

It doesn't show your built-in LCD either, although it should (see my screenshot). Looks like you're still running on Iris Pro and the gMux isn't switching to dGPU.
    You could try to force the switch with gfxCardStatus. If it doesn't help either, then I'd let Apple to diagnose the hardware.