Late 2013 Macbook Pro Retina Wi-Fi needs constant Off/On cycling to connect

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theLemur, Dec 5, 2015.

1. theLemur macrumors regular

This laptop is new to me, having owned many MacBooks but never this particular generation.

The wi-fi generally works well, but every time (after a few hours) that I go to use it there is no internet connection even though it shows a healthy status. After turning the wifi off and then on again it connects and works well as long as I continue to use it.

Any suggestions?

2. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Does this happen on any network or just a specific one?

3. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Good question, so far I've only been able to test on my home network because of the unpredictability of the disconnected state.

However, it is not a problem for my other devices on that network, if that helps

4. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

Turn wifi off, Go to System Preferences>Network, highlight wifi in left column, click "Advanced" remove any preferred networks listed(home network) that are giving you trouble, click "Ok", click "Apply". Close that window. Then go to Utilities>Keychain Access App, Keychains>System Category>Password, and delete any entries with your wifi network's name. Quit Keychain Access. Restart your Mac, Turn Wifi on and rejoin your home network.

I would also recommend restarting your router... for the sake of argument if you will... and testing this on other networks if plausible.

5. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks I tried that and am waiting to see if the issue reappears

6. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Still struggling with this. It's hard to repeat the issue. It's usually after it's been in sleep for a few hours, rather than a quick sleep and rewake.

Also, my wifi connect rate is 878Mbps, even though I am connected to AT&T's gigabit wifi router. The signal strength is good. I am only getting about 500Mbps externally through wifi when doing tests. I can get close to 1000 through an ethernet cable.

7. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

8. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, i did them both with no luck. I did an extensive wifi test last night going through every channel and logging the signal strength, noise, and the signal/noise ratio to find the best channels. I picked the one I thought was the best and I'm going to try that for awhile.

9. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

10. Bulldog3777 macrumors 6502

Mine did the same until updated to El Capitan. Has not done it since.

11. theLemur thread starter macrumors regular

It's an AC router supplied by at&t. It works well on all my other devices. Lately the issue has not been present though, so maybe something I did fixed the issue.. possibly switching the channels on the router.

12. ooans macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem on the same MBP model that i fixed by getting a new router. Dunno which one was the problem.

13. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

I feel you man! I have the exact same problem with my 2015 rMBP *and* 12" rMB. Here's what I notice on my home network:

1. When I wake from sleep, I have a good connection for a few seconds, then it stops working. I have to cycle wifi on/off to fix it.

2. Sometimes, very intermittently, I'll be browsing or streaming or doing something and suddenly the connection stops working. Again I have to cycle wifi on/off to fix it.

3. My 2015 rMB and rMBP are the only two devices on my network that have the problem. I originally thought it was a problem with my 12" rMB until I got a rMBP too and it has the same issue. My 2012 MBA, 3 iPads, and 2 iPhones are all not affected at all.

4. Both affected machines (rMB and rMBP) do NOT have the problem if I take them to work and join my network there.

I can only deduce that there's some kind of issue with newer Apple WiFi chips in newer MacBook models that have issues in some networks and not others. If it was purely a network problem, it would affect other devices on the network as well. And if it was purely a hardware problem, the affected devices wouldn't magically work fine on other networks.

My network looks like this:

ISP Modem/Gateway/Router/NAT ----> Apple Airport Extreme (in bridge mode) ----> Client devices

My next step is going to be to ask my ISP for a new router. I'll post back here if that fixes it for me.

14. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

I had the same issue. Provider-supplied router offered wifi and every device worked fine. Except the MacBook. In the end, I switched off the wifi and bought an airport express.