Late 2013 rMBP runs insanely hot in Windows even when idling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bcodemz, Dec 3, 2015.

1. bcodemz macrumors member

Hi guys

I have a late 2013 rMBP, and it runs insanely hot under Windows bootcamp even when idling, with task manager showing <2% CPU usage. I get very poor battery life as well (~3 hours)

I thought this is just Apple being an ******* making Windows run really poorly on their machines, since they made the same jab to Google making using Chrome on OS X cuts my battery life in half compared to safari.

I just got a new rMBP, and this one runs Windows like a champ! It just runs Windows normally, with beautiful battery life and no heat!

So what is wrong with my old rMBP? Is there anything that can be done? It seems really weird that something other than the CPU can make this much heat. I've had this problem since the start of owning the rMBP.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Chrome has poor battery life in OSX because of Google, not Apple. Google actually made improvements in Chrome to fix this.

What are the specs on the old rMBP and new one? Does the old one have discrete GPU?

3. bcodemz thread starter macrumors member

They're both the stock i5 CPU's for the 13'' rMBP. Old one is a 2.4GHz Haswell. New one is the 2.7GHz Broadwell. No discrete GPU in either.

4. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Are you running the same version of windows on both? I have early 2015 13" rMBP, and I got poor battery life with Windows 8, but decent battery life in Windows 10. Neither are as good as OSX.

5. bcodemz thread starter macrumors member

Yes, both are on Windows 10. Although the old one was upgraded from Windows 8 instead of a fresh install for the new one.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

You could try reinstalling the bootcamp drivers or doing a complete reinstall. Also take a look inside of the old one and clear out any dust.

7. Dead0k macrumors regular

checks fans or perform a clean, then reinstall bootcamp. report the results