[Late-model 3GS]Just keeping my fingers crossed and biding my time:

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by evilgreg, Apr 15, 2010.

1. evilgreg macrumors regular

evilgreg

About 2 weeks ago I signed up for my very own at&t contract and bought myself a white 3GS. Somehow I got lucky and it came with 3.1.2 so I was able to JB, even though its tethered, it's still awesome (I just have to keep my fingers crossed and pray that my iPhone doesn't decide to randomly crash or reboot while I'm at work or away from my MacBook - I usually restart it once a night before I go to bed, just so everything is fresh for the next day).

There are a few apps that I simply cannot live without like GV Mobile, and MyWi; I use them every day. I've been SUPER careful with installing 3rd party apps like bossprefs and winterboard, just because I don't want to risk getting the spinning wheel of death - because I know there's no going back.

It's like I constantly have my JB'd phone in the back of my mind and I appreciate it more than most iPhone users, because on my 3GS, its incredibly fragile. I got into the game at the point when it was too late to back up my blob on Cydia, Apple stopped signing 3.1.2 so even though I have 3.1.2, I only have 3.1.3 on Saurik's server. I live on the edge of JB with my phone, I love it, use the extra features every day, but the fact that I'm half locked down is frightening to me, and I'm sure the few others who are in the same boat as me are feeling the pressure too. If anything ever goes wrong, there is NO option to custom restore, it's like 3.1.3 is a giant ominous presence that is constantly lurking in the shadows.

I'm just trying to take it easy for the next few months; each day that goes by, the closer we get to 4.0 and the true jailbreak of the 3GS - set my phone free from it's handcuffs! Soon my love, we will truely be jailbroken!

/end rant

2. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Now imagine that, like me, you bought your 3GS last month and it already had 3.1.3 on it. All I can do is lurk, and watch with annoyance as the occasional post is made claiming to have a working 3.1.3 3GS JB. :) (I've been lurking long enough to know they're all lying, but it's still a split second of hope.)

On the bright side, I've got the time to get as informed as possible before diving in. And there are some amazingly helpful and patient folks on this forum. I'd be a screaming psycho with some of the questions they get asked.

Anyway. Need tethering for my WIFI-only iPad badly. :)

3. evilgreg thread starter macrumors regular

evilgreg

Oh man, I feel so bad for you! I wonder if the white model is just a lot less popular, so they had a back log at my local Apple store of older firmwares?

Anyway, I'll be first in line with you to celebrate the eventual JB that will free us (mostly you) from this lock-down!

4. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

Naw, mine is white, I think you got lucky. I also purchased from a walk-up store in the burbs in an area of the country that was relatively untouched by the recession: i.e., I bet they have crazy stock turnover.

I knew going into it that I would almost certainly be out of luck on the firmware, but I'd had my 2G for 2 1/2 years and I woke up one day and decided I'd had enough. :)

5. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Well, actually, you can have a JB 3.1.3 3GS, provided you started off with a JB prior OS version and used RedSn0w to build a custom .ipsw to upgrade to...but I think I know what you were trying to say :)

6. evilgreg thread starter macrumors regular

evilgreg

Not to derail my thread, but I'm pretty sure I can't since my JB is tethered.