Lately do you feel that Verizon is worse than AT&T?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DBZmusicboy01, Aug 21, 2013.

1. DBZmusicboy01 macrumors 6502a

Like ever since they changed many of their policies...Verizon seem to be very ridiculous with their pricing. $80 a month WITHOUT unlimited data is a huge rip off.
    Who here is tired of all these phone companies being filled with greed and POOR costumer satisfaction. Imagine if one of them offered $50 per month for 2.5GB of data and unlimited text and phone. Not only will we all save a huge amount of money per month but we will all be much happier with the services.

2. gbuc95 macrumors member

I am starting to feel the same way about Verizon.

3. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

You have two choices, Sprint or T-Mobile. Sprint has better coverage and unlimited data, T-Mobile is hit or miss so the unlimited data is rather pointless. Keep in mind Sprint has LTE on 1900MHz, and soon 800MHz and 2500-2600MHz so in the long run Sprint will be on top of any carrier.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Verizon was never any good to begin with. AT&T has been very straight forward with their policies (even earning huge backlashes), but they never sneak in things like Verizon does (for example, the whole unlimited plan with full priced device deal).

5. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

We've been hearing this BS for the last couple years. Sprint was supposed to top VZW because they had EVDO up first. Sprint was supposed to be a VZW-killer after the Nextel buyout. Sprint was supposed to be a VZW-killer with Clearwire and WiMax. Now with Softbank, they're taking down VZW/AT&T once again? Is that right?

Has ANY of it happened? Sprint is over a year behind on NV.

Face reality and give me hard facts before making up BS statements like that.

If they can't even successfully deploy LTE on ONE band yet, when will the tri-band network occur? In the next decade?

You really think VZW and AT&T are going to sit around with LTE on 700 and not deploy on AWS (AT&T/VZW), WCS (AT&T), PCS (both) , and the upcoming 600 (both) spectrum in the near future?

VZW and AT&T's rapid LTE deployment and reliable coverage only show how pathetic Sprint really is now.

----------
    That being said, AT&T is on the heels of VZW right now. Better customer service, faster LTE speeds, better phone selection. About the same price.

6. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Sprint is now owned by SoftBank, they don't call the shots anymore and SoftBank has a lot of plans for Sprint and the money to back it up. I get great speeds (3G and LTE) and coverage everywhere I go with Sprint so I have no complaints, I never had the pleasure of dealing with pre-nv speeds but I am very happy coming from AT&T I also pay a lot less for a single line.

7. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

You're just regurgitating Sprint's marketing. Any facts to back up your statements (for once)?

If I'm not mistaken, Softbank isn't the savor you make it out to me. They aren't #1 in Japan. In fact, they're stuck in the same place as Sprint. Bottom dweller status at #3 (23 million). NTT DoCoMo (60 million) and KDDI (32 million) are significantly larger.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Softbank or not, Sprint is a deep hole right now. Their 3G speeds rank lowest of all carriers, their LTE is barely making progress due to having spent the 4G money on pointless Wi-Max and its marketing. Not to mention, it bleeds customers like crazy.

9. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

I consistently bench faster speeds on 3G and LTE with Sprint over Verizon 3G and LTE how do you explain that? Sprint is awesome in my neck of the woods. And that's all I really care about, I could go to Verizon but for a somewhat comparable plan I would be paying $140 pre-tax yeah to hell with that. Once Sprint launches 800MHz LTE the game is over, period. The coverage will more or less be the same with better speeds because Verizon is overloaded.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Verizon? I could care less. I still outpace Sprint's network in my area, and every day, Sprint gets worse. I have to endure daily complains from my co-worker since he has Sprint (refuses to switch due to family). He barely clocks at 1Mb/s on 3G....

11. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

No better than Verizon 3G.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I could care less of Verizon. I hate Verizon.

13. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

Well just so you know the theoretical max of CDMA is 3.2Mbps so anything over 1Mbps is considered good.

14. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yet Verizon somehow managed to maintain that average at a mid 2.4Mb/s consistently on EV-DO where as Sprint hasn't been able too.

AT&T crushes Verizon's 3G network in terms of speed and soon, availability.

15. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

You're comparing GSM vs CDMA the difference is huge, apples to oranges here. And I call bs on Verizon averaging 2.4Mbps, just not going to happen.

16. AutoUnion39, Aug 21, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2013

AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

More BS. What else can we expect from you?

VZW has a nationwide 2x20 slice of AWS spectrum going up within the next few months. It's already testing in top markets, like OKC, Boston, NYC, LA, etc. The max for a 2x20 network is over 150 mbps.

That is 4x as much bandwidth as Sprint's 2x5 deployment so far. That is on top of the 2x10 network VZW is already running.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Go back in time a few threads here and you will see people actually compared AT&T 3G to Verizon 3G... Verizon did get consistent speeds back then over large areas, where as AT&T was aggressively deploying its 3G albeit very fast speeds where it could.

GSM v CDMA doesn't matter to average Joe, just the end result. Something Verizon won in terms of wide spread availability.

----------

Assuming Verizon gets that piece of spectrum and AT&T doesn't grab it from them.

18. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

Why are you so caught up on EVDO?

VZW has LTE covering 99% of their EVDO footprint.

19. ValerieDurden macrumors 6502a

When your network is saturdated you're not getting anywhere close to those speeds.

Much of their LTE is barely above EVDO speeds at peak times.

20. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

They can't. VZW bought it years ago and they're already updating their antennas nationwide to the newest RRUs to deploy on AWS. AT&T had an almost nationwide slice, but they had to give it to TMobile. They have since acquired a bunch of AWS from various acquisitions.

(and just to keep it civil, I use AT&T. Have been for almost 14 years. :) I have a VZW Mifi from work. I'm just calling out Valerie's constant BS)

----------

How is AWS already saturated? It's not even up yet.

Even if you are talking about 700, there are plenty of stupid fast speeds being reported all over the web and by reputable 3rd party sources, like rootmetrics.

Complete BS. Proof?

----------

Let's look at some stats from Philadelphia from July 2013.

http://www.rootmetrics.com/compare-carriers/united-states/philadelphia/philadelphia-pa-july-2013/

[​IMG]

Sprint is, by far, the worst in Phily. T-Mobile's upload speeds are the same as your downlink. Since you claim to bench faster speeds than VZW, I'll love to see some tests over 3G and LTE showing an average of 12.5 down. This is what VZW is averaging in your market.

Where are these "better speeds" you claim?

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

1) You are not going to see unlimited, unthrottled data much longer. Sprint keeps it because otherwise it's another carrier with less coverage than AT&T and Verizon. AT&T and Sprint don't offer it because people like me would ditch their landline Internet. It would clog the networks like crazy. They just aren't built to handle as much traffic as wired connections for the same price.

2) AT&T and Verizon are both pretty equal on pricing. I think they're starting to offer different plans for BYOD to match T-Mobile, but they're doing it slowly. Virgin Mobile offers $50 unlimited for everything because you have to buy your phone (no $400 over 2 years subsidy) and it's on Sprint's 3G network. They didn't spend all that money on LTE to be nice.

3) I remember back when the iPhone was AT&T-only and everybody was sooooo desperate for Verizon. So now I point out, just as I did then, that AT&T and Verizon are pretty much on par. People here had issues with AT&T because they could only choose AT&T.

4) I'm on Verizon because AT&T has bad dead spots in my area, including a couple on two different routes to work. When I got hit and the guy fled, my call dropped while I was chasing him to get his tag number. That did NOT help. I cannot recall Verizon ever doing that. But it differs based on where you live.

22. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

How the hell do Sprint fanboys exist? It's been well documented everywhere that their coverage is terrible and their data speed is trash. Why would anyone want Sprint?

23. CEmajr macrumors 601

I agree Sprint is the absolute worst of all 4 of the carriers. Small and spotty LTE footprint and a terribly slow 3G network that covers most of their footprint. Just about every single person I know with Sprint has issues with service. They offer unlimited data but it's a joke because the speeds are so slow that you can barely get enough done for it to be worthwhile. Sprint constantly ranks at the bottom for data speed tests in just about every metropolitan area in the country. I would take capped Verizon or AT&T data over Sprint because it's at least usable.

Also it's silly for the person above to try and compare Verizon 3G with Sprint 3G. Verizon had LTE pretty much everywhere while Sprint's network still mostly consists of an archaic 3G network with speeds that barely exceed AT&T and Tmobile EDGE data.

Now the Sprint fans are all going around claiming the tri-band LTE is coming and will make Sprint superior to AT&T and Verizon. Just another pipe dream. They can't even get a proper LTE rollout done on their current band so I have no confidence that they will have tri band up anytime before 2017. Even Tmobile surpassed them in LTE rollout. Sprint is a joke in the wireless industry. All promises and no action.

24. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

ValerieDurden won't reply to my facts once again. How shocking?

25. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

"Sprint is awesome in my neck of the woods"

That is correct, if you live and travel only within sight of their few LTE towers.

Personally, when I pay my phone bill I expect it to work wherever I might be.

Sprint is and forever will be a low teir company. Their marketing policy is to get the low hanging fruit off the tree and they haven't the will or money to be a first rate company.