Latest Evidence of Liberal Fascism

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_york_state/chefs-call-proposed-new-york-salt-ban-absurd-20100310-akd

Chefs Call Proposed New York Salt Ban 'Absurd'
Updated: Thursday, 11 Mar 2010, 8:01 AM EST
Published : Wednesday, 10 Mar 2010, 7:36 PM EST

By ARUN KRISTIAN DAS / MyFox New York

MYFOXNY.COM - Some New York City chefs and restaurant owners are taking aim at a bill introduced in the New York Legislature that, if passed, would ban the use of salt in restaurant cooking.

"No owner or operator of a restaurant in this state shall use salt in any form in the preparation of any food for consumption by customers of such restaurant, including food prepared to be consumed on the premises of such restaurant or off of such premises," the bill, A. 10129 , states in part.

The legislation, which Assemblyman Felix Ortiz , D-Brooklyn, introduced on March 5, would fine restaurants $1,000 for each violation.

"The consumer needs to make their own health choices. Just as doctors and the occasional visit to a hospital can't truly control how a person chooses to maintain their health, neither can chefs nor the occasional visit to a restaurant," said Jeff Nathan, the executive chef and co-owner of Abigael's on Broadway. "Modifying trans fats and sodium intake needs to be home based for optimal health. Regulating restaurants will not solve this health issue."

Nathan is part of the group My Food My Choice , which calls itself a coalition of chefs, restaurant owners, and consumers, called the proposed law "absurd" in a press release issued on its Facebook page.

Ortiz has said the salt ban would allow restaurant patrons to decide how salty they want their meals to be.

"In this way, consumers have more control over the amount of sodium they intake, and are given the option to exercise healthier diets and healthier lifestyles," Ortiz said, according to a Nation's Restaurant News report.

But many chefs and restaurant owners said they are tired of politicians dictating what they can serve and what people can eat. They have opposed the city's anti-sodium and anti-transfat campaigns.

"Chefs would be handcuffed in their food preparation, and many are already in open rebellion over this legislation," said Orit Sklar, of My Food My Choice. "Ortiz and fellow anti-salt zealot Mayor Michael Bloomberg of New York City seek to undermine the food and restaurant business in the entire state."

The American Heart Association encourages Americans to reduce their sodium intake and has advocated the reduction of sodium used by food manufacturers and restaurants by 50 percent over a 10-year period.

Want to read the actual bill?
http://assembly.state.ny.us/leg/?default_fld=&bn=A10129&Summary=Y&Text=Y

Let's all give a bit shout-out to this Democratic liberal progressive fascist, Felix Oritz, for trying to protect salt-addicted Americans, everywhere!

Come on, liberals... I'd like to see some real repudiation of this proposed law. Surely you don't support fascism, and an over-reaching nanny-state? Surely you don't support this disgusting attempt at controlling our lives? Surely you support basic liberty and free choice?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/new_york_state/chefs-call-proposed-new-york-salt-ban-absurd-20100310-akd

Let's all give a bit shout-out to this Democratic liberal progressive fascist, Felix Oritz, for trying to protect salt-addicted Americans, everywhere!

Come on, liberals... I'd like to see some real repudiation of this proposed law. Surely you don't support fascism, and an over-reaching nanny-state? Surely you don't support this disgusting attempt at controlling our lives? Surely you support basic liberty and free choice?
Umm..wait- so Michael Bloomberg is now a liberal fascist as well? I thought he was a right wing Republican, who recently became an independent. Sorry fivepoint, this has nothing to do with liberalism. This kind of nonsense crosses the aisles- and it is nonsense.

What I take issue with is your inflammatory rhetoric. You don't want to have an honest discussion, you want to start a fight. Well, have fun. No one here is going to take you seriously when you continue to come in here foaming at the mouth. And you know what? I'm against this too. When you're ready to have a rational discussion, let us know.

hulugu

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2003
quae tangit perit Trump

Come on, liberals... I'd like to see some real repudiation of this proposed law.
Fine, but...

Surely you don't support fascism, and an over-reaching nanny-state? Surely you don't support this disgusting attempt at controlling our lives? Surely you support basic liberty and free choice?
I object to your rhetorical technique. This is an obvious framing technique that does very little to add to the discussion. Secondly, the requirement to remove salt from foods is incredibly silly and a waste of the taxpayers dime, but to call it fascism is to use the world so broadly it nearly loses its meaning.

Frankly this post is beneath you.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
If Chef's aren't allowed to cook with salt, surely you'd be allowed to ask for them to add salt if you wanted?

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
While I think the salt ban is misguided at best, really Fivepoint? Fascist?

You know why politics is such a slippery slope? It's the slant people take.

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
Umm..wait- so Michael Bloomberg is now a liberal fascist as well? I thought he was a right wing Republican, who recently became an independent. Sorry fivepoint, this has nothing to do with liberalism. This kind of nonsense crosses the aisles- and it is nonsense.
I completely agree. The partisan crap is getting out of control. How's about we hold all of our Politicians accountable rather than just blaming the liberals or conservatives based on who's in control at that particular moment in time.

Rt&Dzine

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2008
I don't agree with it. I'm sure you agree with every piece of legislation that any republican has ever proposed?

IntheNet

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2009
Though I share the common sentiment of the absurdity of this "salt" hijack by this loony New York Democrat, it is illustrative of the type of huge government regulatory takeover Democrats favor and such absurd examples are good for the nation to witness... Let us all pay close attention to such ram-it-through attempts at social dictatorship - this about salt of all things - so we avoid the Democrat/Government/Regulatory agenda and avoid it all costs...

5:1 odds Assemblyman Felix Ortiz has stock/interest in salt substitutes and he's getting kickbacks from this...

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Though I share the common sentiment of the absurdity of this "salt" hijack by this loony New York Democrat, it is illustrative of the type of huge government regulatory takeover Democrats favor and such absurd examples are good for the nation to witness... Let us all pay close attention to such ram-it-through attempts at social dictatorship - this about salt of all things - so we avoid the Democrat/Government/Regulatory agenda and avoid it all costs....
The empty culture wars rhetorhic is out in force today.

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009

How about checking out a definition of facism dear MR poster huh?!!!

Sure banning salt is an insult to basic liberty and free choice (/sarcasm).

fivepoint

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 28, 2007
IOWA
Fine, but...

I object to your rhetorical technique. This is an obvious framing technique that does very little to add to the discussion. Secondly, the requirement to remove salt from foods is incredibly silly and a waste of the taxpayers dime, but to call it fascism is to use the world so broadly it nearly loses its meaning.

Frankly this post is beneath you.
While I think the salt ban is misguided at best, really Fivepoint? Fascist?
There are lots of words I could use to describe it but really, it doesn't matter. What matters is the content, what matters is the controls these liberal control-freaks are trying to put on the masses. Are there right-wingers who like to control things too? Absolutely, but in America today, it's far more likely to come from the left... limits on salt, what fats we can eat, limits on where we can smoke, if we can smoke, if we must wear a seatbelt or not, larger issues like eminent domain or gun rights. The progressive liberal big-government machine tries to control our lives at every turn. They claim it's in an effort to save us from ourselves... better save those stupid people who can't make decisions for themselves. All government programs come with strings attached. In my humble opinion, you can't legislate common sense and liberty is one of the most important things for us to spend out time defending. It's an incredibly slippery slope... you give some liberties away, and they just want to take more of them.

BTW, if anyone here wants to claim that the Mayor of NYC is conservative, and not a liberal... I'll get in that argument all day long. He's a liberal leaning progressive. He's about as far away from a constitutional small-gov't conservative as you can get as a former Republican.

Though I share the common sentiment of the absurdity of this "salt" hijack by this loony New York Democrat, it is illustrative of the type of huge government regulatory takeover Democrats favor and such absurd examples are good for the nation to witness... Let us all pay close attention to such ram-it-through attempts at social dictatorship - this about salt of all things - so we avoid the Democrat/Government/Regulatory agenda and avoid it all costs...

5:1 odds Assemblyman Felix Ortiz has stock/interest in salt substitutes and he's getting kickbacks from this...
I find it laughable that the liberals on this forum try to sweep away these claims as a 'unique instance'. Like these types of things have never happened before, like the liberal elite have never tried to control, manipulate, and destroy the liberties of every day average citizens. Our liberties are being attacked from all fronts, but progressive liberals are by far the biggest contributors.

The empty culture wars rhetorhic is out in force today.
You're entitled to your own opinions, but not your own facts. There's a long history of Liberal Fascism, destruction of basic liberties throughout American and world history. Big government is often sold as a 'savior' for the problems of ordinary people, but in reality it enslaves them through small control after small law, after small ban, after small tax, until one day you wake up and it's all gone.