Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In the latest beta of the upcoming iOS 12 update, Apple has included a feature that lets users generate iCloud links for sharing pictures via the stock Photos app.

ios-12-icloud-photo-sharing-link-800x600.jpg

The iCloud.com URL link option, first noticed by Reddit user Hunkir

The new sharing option appears in the bottom row of the iOS Share Sheet, and allows users with iCloud Photos enabled to copy an iCloud.com URL link to one or several selected images that lasts for 30 days.

Clicking a link in an email takes the recipient to a web page containing the image in question, as well as an option to download it. Sharing a link in the Messages app also shows a preview of the image right in the chat thread. The link also includes the author's name, the photo's title, and associated EXIF data, excluding location information.

The addition should come in handy for times when you quickly want to share an image from your iOS device, minus the hassle of uploading it to a third-party service. It's also more than likely that the iCloud link sharing option will feature in macOS Mojave.

For more on all the changes coming in iOS 12, check out our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Latest iOS 12 Beta Lets Users Generate iCloud Links for Sharing Pictures in the Photos App

Reactions: martyjmclean

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Is this just individual photos, or can I share albums this way? AFAIK, Apple still doesn’t allow you to create shared iCloud albums that just reference the originals, instead it creates duplicates which have to be re-uploaded and take up iCloud storage space - or has this changed?

Sefstah

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2015
Wow, we’re jest getting that now in 2018?! Sometimes I wonder if anyone at Apple is checking out what the rest of the world is up to. I dont think it would be a bad idea.

Reactions: martyjmclean

unsaltedrhino

macrumors member
May 3, 2006
Madrid, Spain

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013

In the latest beta of the upcoming iOS 12 update, Apple has included a feature that lets users generate iCloud links for sharing pictures via the stock Photos app.

ios-12-icloud-photo-sharing-link-800x600.jpg

The iCloud.com URL link option, first noticed by Reddit user Hunkir

The new sharing option appears in the bottom row of the iOS Share Sheet, and allows users with iCloud Photos enabled to copy an iCloud.com URL link to one or several selected images that lasts for 30 days.

Clicking a link in an email takes the recipient to a web page containing the image in question, as well as an option to download it. Sharing a link in the Messages app also shows a preview of the image right in the chat thread. The link also includes the author's name, the photo's title, and associated EXIF data, excluding location information.

The addition should come in handy for times when you quickly want to share an image from your iOS device, minus the hassle of uploading it to a third-party service. It's also more than likely that the iCloud link sharing option will feature in macOS Mojave.

For more on all the changes coming in iOS 12, check out our dedicated roundup.

Article Link: Latest iOS 12 Beta Lets Users Generate iCloud Links for Sharing Pictures in the Photos App
This is awesome! Finally an easy way to share photos!!! And that too without the hassle to delete it after a few days!!!! I hated making a public album cause then I had to delete it..

Reactions: Benjamin Iveagh

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Is this finally a way to share the family photos between me and my wife? Because as of now we just send us the photos and videos with a message and copy it in each library since there is no way to share one single photo library like you can do with the music library.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Hmm, as others have pointed out this is just simplifying something you could already do through the iCloud photo sharing option.

This addition is great, but simply copying the link and leaving it to you to manually share still feels incomplete.

What would be much better imo is when you’re on the share screen (where you have the reel of photos you’ve selected to share and the apps and actions below) you get two new options, something like ‘Share Photos’ (traditional method) and ‘Share Link’. If you select the latter, when you then share via an app such as WhatsApp, it will have created the album and the message will have the link.

(The implementation I detail might not be perfect but the general idea is there)

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Is this finally a way to share the family photos between me and my wife? Because as of now we just send us the photos and videos with a message and copy it in each library since there is no way to share one single photo library like you can do with the music library.

Use the shared family album. “Family” is on by default if you have a family account.

chmarch

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
It absolutely baffles me that someone on these forums who has over 1000 posts does not know what shared photo streams are! Yes, you can call me a "newbie", I typically do not post on macrumors. But I have had every iPhone iteration since the beginning. When Scott Forstall introduced shared photo streams in 2012 on iOS 6, I was so excited!
Then Apple fired Scott and completely forgot about the feature. Look at the crippled interface on iPad STILL in the coming iOS 12. This is a very nice feature, and hopefully people will catch on to stop filling up my iMessages with pictures!

Reactions: ignatius345

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
There is an empty album in the shared section called family. Is this what you mean?

Yeah. Add photos to that and the person on your “shared” account will see them and vice versa.

You can create new shared albums with other people and it works the same way. I have one with my wife, family, brother-in-law, and some friends.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah. Add photos to that and the person on your “shared” account will see them and vice versa.

You can create new shared albums with other people and it works the same way. I have one with my wife, family, brother-in-law, and some friends.

Thanks a lot.

Reactions: mattopotamus
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.