Latest MacBook Pro wifi worse than phone

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Avery52, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Avery52 macrumors newbie

My latest 15 inch MacBook Pro is unable to connect to a wifi network, probably because the router is pretty far away. However, my Samsung Note 3 is able to connect to the same wifi network.

How is it possible that the latest laptop have worse wifi connectivity than a 3 year old phone?
    I've tried turning off my Note 3's wifi but it still didnt work so interference is not the cause.

Is there a way for me to determine if this is due to a low quality wireless network card and get Apple to replace it?

2. npreq macrumors member

npreq

Because your note3 is made of plastic and a glass screen, whilst the MBP3 is all aluminum (basically a faraday cage) with a tiny window for antennas just below the screen (where the MacBook Pro text is).

3. Avery52 thread starter macrumors newbie

Why did Apple not think of a better design/material then...so there's nothing i can do about it? :(

4. zone23 macrumors 68000

5. npreq macrumors member

npreq

Honestly, work on your network infrastructure. If you don't care about performance much, get a dumb wifi extender. If you do, I would recommend those new fancy mesh wifi routers, like the Google Mesh ones.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

By unable to connect, do you mean it finds it and won't connect, or won't find the network at all?

If it's the former, restart your router and change the wireless encryption to WPA2-PSK/WPA2-AES only (no mixed/legacy mode). If it's the latter, take it to an Apple Store for them to assess.

7. Avery52 thread starter macrumors newbie

It finds it but couldn't connect. Sometimes it could though, works like 30% of the time.
    It's a public wifi (school's) so i have no control over that.

8. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Ah okay. Worth taking to an Apple Store anyway but it can't hurt to speak with the IT guys to see if they've had similar complaints on other laptops.

9. jerryk macrumors 68040

If it's a school, are other people having connectivity issues? If so, speak to the administration and have them fix it.

10. MrGuder macrumors 68020

To the OP you need to buy an apple router. I have one and they work best with Apple products. I have no issues with my Apple router and always get excellent wireless on MacBook Pro, iPhone and iPads. Don't blame Apple for your choice of a 3rd party router. It's most likely your router, go to your router manufacture website to get your help on configuration and firmware update.

You also shouldn't be connecting to a public wifi, there is no security in a public wifi. You are opening yourself up to being hacked or spied on with a public wifi.

11. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Are you operating any USB devices near it or are you using a different charging cable?
    Have you tried changing the channel on the router?
    Are you using 2.4 GHz?