Latest Outrage: Reading Your Children Bedtime Stories Unfairly Disadvantages Other People’s Children

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by aaronvan, May 27, 2016.

1. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

A professor in England believes that “parents who read to their kids should be thinking about how they’re unfairly disadvantaging other people’s children by doing so.”

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Years and years ago, during my misspent youth, I read a book about a society that built itself around normalizing what they considered unfair advantages. The extra beautiful had to wear masks to make them look uglier, the athletic were required to wear weights to bring them down to everyone else's level, things like that.

...wish I could remember the name of it.

3. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

My favorite story was " go to sleep or la llorona" is going to drag you to the river and drown you.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Llorona

4. Mr. Buzzcut macrumors 65816

Mr. Buzzcut

Is this it?

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/10176119-harrison-bergeron

5. Meister, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016

Meister Suspended

Meister

I read the same book!
    Please find the name!
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2016 ---
    He's from england.
    'nough said
    Thank you!

This is what they are trying to do now.

The social justice warriors are insane people and they need to be stopped!

Even though most or all of them gather on the political left, it's not about "liberals" vs "conservatives" anymore.

It's about the sane vs the insane.

6. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Hypothetical: I wouldn't discriminate against others, they can look the way they want, all beauty is like art - subjective to each individual - but is it okay for them to discriminate against us? What happens if they get the same treatment they treated everyone else? Do they then get to say unfair, despite trying to make all the ugly people they discriminated believe that it's okay to have double standards?

7. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

This story had a HUGE impact on me the first time I read it as a kid in high school.

Thanks to @Mr. Buzzcut for finding it. I couldn't remember it. https://archive.org/stream/HarrisonBergeron/Harrison Bergeron_djvu.txt

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Okay, Prof. I feel bad about being a good parent.:rolleyes: Or better yet, those lazy parents who don't read their kids bedtime stories should feel bad about being lazy parents.:mad:

If I'm too tired to read a the youn'n a book, I'll just play this audio book Go the F**k to Sleep read by Samuel L Jackson. That'll get 'em to sleep.:D

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

10. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Life is a race, I will give my kids any advantage I can!

11. Raid, May 27, 2016
    Last edited: May 27, 2016

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I think I'm going to chalk this up to dry British humour that may fly under the radar of some living over here across the pond.

<edit>
    After a cursory review of the OP's link I see now it's more of a modern reflection on the philosophy of the family unit. It's hardly a "latest outrage" or a statement about disadvantaging other peoples children, but that's why you shouldn't use cliff notes and sound bites as information sources.

Also it calls into question the effects of appealing to the lowest common denominator which I feel was the same principle behind the book "Harrison Bergeron". We are kind of seeing that play out in American politics... ;)

12. chown33 macrumors 604

This?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrison_Bergeron

Might also be "The Sirens of Titan".

13. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Thank you for introducing some sanity, and perspective - and properly cited sources - to this thread.

14. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

This.

Despite my quip about Harrison Bergeron above, I realize this isn't about punishing the advantaged. The point of equality, to me at least, isn't that we limit the talented, the hard working, and the gifted. You don't bring the top end down. That's an artificial type of "fairness". Some people will be better at things than others, and they shouldn't be made to feel guilty about that. Rather, you try to bring the bottom up, with the hope that you'll enable as many people as possible to have the ability to succeed by their own merits, rather than being limited by their circumstances.

You don't shame the children who are fortunate enough to have parents attentive enough to read to them. That's what parents should be doing for their children, more power to those who do. But at the same time, we should be cognizant of the fact that there are kid out there with crappy parents who don't give them any attention, and we, as a society, should consider doing something to help them out, rather than going "tough luck kid", then leaving them to languish.
    It was Harrison Bergeron, yeah.

15. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I need a safe space from all these ****ing idiots.

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Don't address the ******* parents who take next to no initiative in their child's upbringing, we don't want to offend anyone.

17. chown33 macrumors 604

Maybe there's an opening at The Monkey House.

18. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Just repeat: "Serenity now, serenity now, serenity now...";):D

19. Herdfan macrumors 6502

It seriously is only a matter of time. My wife and I have discussed how long it will take for their to be protests of who is marrying who. Take my wife and I for example, we both have Master's Degrees. Is it fair for us to have gotten married because there is a good chance our kids will be smarter (She is currently top 5 in her class) than parents who only have HS diplomas?

Think back 50 years when it was common for only 1 parent to have a degree. Think a school teacher and a mechanic. They had as much chance of having a very smart kid as having a kid who wasn't. So the gene pool kept a good mix of smart and non-smart. But today, college grads and intelligent people are seeking out equals more than in the past and as a result, their kids are going to be smarter. By the intelligent people seeking each other out, that leaves fewer to procreate with less intelligent people. So you end up with the less intelligent people procreating and having less intelligent offspring.

Is this fair?

Now let's go to looks. Is it fair the young couple across the street are both model gorgeous? He is a salesman who no doubt makes sales because of his looks. So is it fair he is better compensated because he looks good? And she turns heads everywhere she goes. Their kids are both attractive and will have the built-in advantages of that all through life.

I am just waiting for these to become the next big social injustices.

20. FieldingMellish Suspended

21. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

A shrewd dictator would give this guy a department chair and use him to paint the opposition as laughable idiots.

22. impulse462 Suspended

impulse462

I don't understand why people are so against private schools. He even says that reading to kids gives them more of an "advantage" than going to a private secondary school. So why the toxic attitude towards them? Why even care? (As long as they don't discriminate against people)

23. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

It's a major component of leftist dogma, like nuclear power is horrible, white people are evil, global warming will fry the Earth by next week, and Coldplay is a great band.

24. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Heh, was going to reply - "White privilege? I guess?"