Latest Safari update is killing my battery life

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bcodemz, May 25, 2014.

1. bcodemz macrumors member

I recently upgraded my Safari through the App Store. I've noticed that my battery life when surfing the web. I usually get around 10 hours on the battery gauge. Now I get about 6-7 hours, and Safari is always under "App using significant energy", even when I'm using one or two. Before the update, I have 6-8 tabs open, and Safari is not under "App using significant energy", and I'd get 10 hours of battery life.

Is there any way to fix this or downgrade back to the old Safari? The battery life reduction is HUGE.

Thanks

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Probably some plug-in you have is not playing nice with the newer Safari. Try updating (or uninstalling) Flash, Silverlight, Java etc.

3. int3 macrumors member

int3

Probably flash.

you surf on youtube for example? Try to activate HTML5 player as your default one in here
    It shouldn't take a lot of resources.

and, go to spotlight find the activity monitor. See if is there any plugin taking a large amount of your CPU time.

4. coldjeanzzz macrumors 6502a

Safari always says using significant energy even when using 1-2 tabs as well. I use ClicktoFlash as well, not sure why.

5. prestong macrumors member

Sam here, since i updated its killing my battery. I have all plugins disabled. It uses SIGNIFICANT battery life, so much that it heats up my notebook like an oven. This seems like quite the bug..

6. prestong macrumors member

Seems to be fixed now, I did nothing.. Maybe one of the advertisers was running ads that were causing massive cpu usage.