Latest Viral Anti-Obama Message

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yojitani, Jul 24, 2008.

1. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

So I received this from a well-meaning and, as voting goes, undecided relative - from someone who tends to vote against her own interests when presented with the jingoistic nationalism of conservatives and the Republican party. I am disinclined to believe this as an authentic letter because of the rhetorical construction, especially the way it starts with an appeal to credibility by positioning the writer as 'not a very political person'. For someone who is 'not very political' this writer has a curiously limited political memory. So is this just more smear?

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Just curious, but if you don't believe, why do you continue to spread it?

3. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

So you would prefer not to talk about it then?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

is an odd opening indeed: how would "everyone" know the writer is "not a very political person"? Who does he think he is? :confused:

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Pretty much. It's just as stupid as anything else people send around in e-mails. I swear to god the same person writes all of them too.

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Whether genuine or not, it gives the reader the impression that this soldier was writing to a close group of acquaintances, who then forwarded the email to all of their friends, and so on.

That could very well be the case, or it may have been added by someone else along the line; with chain emails you never know.

7. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Repeat that sentence 5 times, think of a letter. Think of an animal that starts with that letter. If you guessed Danimals, then you're correct. If you send this message to 10 more of your friends, you will have 3 wishes.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Actually, it's rather impersonal. And like I said before, it's written like all the other fake e-mails people send around. It sounds completely fake.

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

To you and me, yes, it sounds very fake, but our judgement isn't exactly the least biased; we knew it was a chain email before we read the first word.

If you were writing to a large list of your friends/acquaintances, would you necessarily start any different? I, for one, would most likely start with "Hello Everyone," as did the author(s) of that email.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Mine would be littered with expletives, or at least a lot more demonstrative in tone if I really felt that strongly about something. There would also be at least a personal reference or two directed at one or more of the folks I was writing. This has none of those things.

11. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

Exactly. You wouldn't need to establish this in a letter to your friends. The line is clearly there to make this report seem credible to a bunch of people who don't know the writer. The relative who sent this really believed the letter until I pointed out some anomalies (like the source of the email etc). It's worrying that that so many people are willing to believe this apocrypha...

12. pooky macrumors 6502

13. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I tried looking earlier and received no results, so it must have been put up within the past hour or so.

I am thoroughly looking forward to their report.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. I personally don't doubt the article but in all honesty I don't care. Politicians will be politicians.

Half the time when they shake someone's hand they probably have no genuine interest in the person.

jon

15. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Lets post more ridiculous right wing chain emails. I'm especially partial to this one;

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Wow- that was particularly hideous. What a load of crap.

17. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

I kinda liked the sentimental touches. The "tear rolling down the cheek" line almost had me.

I had to go open the blinds, but the neighbor saw me in my skivies and now he's suing for indecent exposure. Bastard has no sense of justice considering I just saved his wife and kids.

Man, if I could only have a friend who would send me that email. With friends like that, who needs enemas? I mean enemies...

18. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Doesn't the above story count as child abuse?

19. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Sounds like the dad in that story has a bad case of PTSD. It's too bad for him and his family that veterans funding was previously cut and now his child has to deal with an abusive father.

20. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

21. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Evidently, this is a real guy (Cpt Porter)who is now in hot water, according to Snopes. People who were there say that Porter was not and Obama was interested, engaged, and friendly, though pressed for time. New York Daily News reports he has recanted his original email and asked that it be removed from any blogs or sites and people refrain from emailing it out, though this is the daily news...

22. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    Wow. Snopes SMOKED this one. More information than I needed. Enough information for a really nice article with photos.
    ~ CB

23. yojitani thread starter macrumors 68000

yojitani

And now if that isn't weird enough, some guy using the name jjsmith is sending this message all over the blogosphere - he/it just started an account at MR to send the message directly to me via PM:

Kind of funny really...

24. pooky macrumors 6502

Yeah, I got that one, too. This is very strange. I''m actually quite surprised that the original email turned out to be legit, at least in the sense that it really was written by who it says wrote it. I was expecting some silly made-up email forward.

I mean, look at it. It sounds just like all of the "I'm an engineer at Microsoft, and Bill Gates will give you $50 to forward this message" type forwards. I was sure some bored 13 year-old kid wrote it. Which might say something about the maturity level of our dear cpt Porter...

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I was surprised too. However, the info it claimed to provide was indeed false. Probably the reason it was written that way.