Latin American Tensions - Ambassadors Expelled

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SMM, Sep 16, 2008.

1. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Just when you thought the administration's foreign relationships could not get any worse, they raise the bar again. This time it is hitting very close to home. I am just digesting the very early info on this story, so I will reserve too much comment, until I get a better handle on it. I do know the US special forces have been engaged in military operations there, for a few years now - the war no one is talking about. It will be interesting to see whether that becomes a part of the story-line.

If anyone finds better links, I hope they will post them.

From C&L

2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

You left out the best bit, Chavez's speech at a rally:

3. Queso macrumors G4

If only Chavez could run for election here. It would certainly spice up our rubbish politicians :D

4. mpshay macrumors 6502

Shocking news! Venezuela's president does not like us?????

5. SMM thread starter macrumors 65816

SMM

I thought the last paragraph made an interesting point. Expanding it, the US has been bullying, controlling the internal affairs, over-throwing governments, forcing unbalanced (and unfavorable) deals on countries of South and Central America, for time uncounted. As friends, we suck. These countries used to be backwards, largely illiterate and controlled by ruthless, corrupt dictators. To control the country, all we had to do was keep him stocked with arms, and a place to put the money he was stealing (while letting his countrymen starve). If they started getting 'uppity', we would cut make a deal with their rival, arm them to the teeth, cut-off help to our 'former friend', freeze his assets, and send in military 'advisors' (armed to the teeth), to aid in the coup. Sometimes, the poor dictator would take his own life, by using a self-inflicted air strike. ;)

Naturally, we would be seen as saviors, to the people and their new government. The important thing is, we (American business) would be back and controlling things again. guess how many times this, or a similar, scenario was played out, from 1850 to 1960. That is when things began to change. The Latin American countries began to get much wiser to what was going on. Large numbers of their young people came to America, and Europe, for their educations. Many went on to get professional educations in law, science, engineering, medicine, education, accounting, etc. They returned home and began to make a difference. The people of these 'banana republics' (a rather unfortunate and vulgar term) are/were uneducated, but not stupid. Americans often confuse the two, or cannot tell the difference.

I think we are going to pay the price for a century of theft, shady dealings, murder, and the list goes on. What is amazing to me is, most Americans do not know, or have not come to terms with, how low-life our government - corporations has been, and still are. Iraq is a prime example. It is textbook. :eek: