Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Launch Center Pro Lets Users Customize App Icons in iOS 14 Without Shortcuts

matt_and_187_like_this

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2015
Again, why does it bother you? Did it somehow sneak into your device?

You all have serious problems if you really care about someone else's device this much. The irony of all this and the "Think Different" concept that Apple so desired at one time.

Android allows customers to **** up their phones, so thinking differently is doing the same? Maybe Apple should listen to your advice and change their claim to "do the same". To fully embrace the new circus freak aesthetic I recommend using comic sans for the new slogan.

Comment

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Once you get the app and realize you have to watch a YouTube video just to understand how to do this, in addition to the clunkiness of the UI...it’s a big SKIP. Wouldn’t do it if you paid me!

Comment

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
To those boggling at the price, Icon Themer is a Shortcut that does this for free (in fact, they probably discovered this method in the first place). For those skeptical about installing a custom configuration profile, do note that by design they clearly list exactly what they are supposed to do during the install, and in fact are the only way to install things like custom fonts for use in e.g. art programs.

Didn't know about this shortcut, is actually really interesting because you could essentially maybe just add URL scheme bookmarks to whatever you wanted seeing how they're actually doing the setup.

I just changed my Firefox icon to the nightly one to begin with. :p Going to play with it some with Drafts and Things later.

Comment

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I am always fascinated by the negative influence that parameters such as "options" and "choice" can have on some Apple users

I regularly see people on here claim they switched to Android but switched back because they “hated having to customise everything” as though it was mandatory and they couldn’t just use everything out of the box as is.

I honestly believe some people hate optional choices.

Reactions: nerdherdster
Comment

averagenerd81

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2020
Out there man
Android allows customers to **** up their phones, so thinking differently is doing the same? Maybe Apple should listen to your advice and change their claim to "do the same". To fully embrace the new circus freak aesthetic I recommend using comic sans for the new slogan.

Please point on the doll where the app touched you.

Comment

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
They want me to pay more than I pay for Netflix to change some phone icons?

Not sure how realistic their pricing goals are.

Comment

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
This kind of weird bodging and workarounds might actually encourage Apple to allow custom icons in iOS15. It's a bit like bootcamp only came after people hacked together the ability to boot Windows on Intel Macs on their own.

Comment

iAFC

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2005
Florianópolis
This kind of weird bodging and workarounds might actually encourage Apple to allow custom icons in iOS15. It's a bit like bootcamp only came after people hacked together the ability to boot Windows on Intel Macs on their own.
Really? I think I remember boot camp being announced as one of the benefits of the Intel transition back then.

Reactions: ErikGrim
Comment

iZac

macrumors 68020
Apr 28, 2003
Shanghai
Really? I think I remember boot camp being announced as one of the benefits of the Intel transition back then.

Yeah back in the day there was a big community drive to be the first person to get Windows booting on an Intel Mac. There was even a bounty to be the first one, in the region of thousands of dollars I think. My memory fails me, but there's a lot that can be read about it here.

Prior to that Apple dodged any questions about getting Windows running on a Mac. It could be entirely coincidental but immediately after this hacky and complicated XOM solution was released, magically Bootcamp appeared and was a much safer and more elegant.

I guess it was at that point that Apple leaned into it, but I don't think they've ever actively encouraged users to run Windows instead of OS X :p

Reactions: iAFC
Comment

biffuz

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2016
Yay! This brings me back to the Windows 3.1 days! I used to spend a lot of times customizing icons there! Up to Windows 98, with all these custom launchers like LiteStep...
Then I grow up. Nowadays my Start menu is a hot mess.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.