Launch date 10.04.2015. When delivered if you buy it in the Online Store?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rodknocker, Mar 30, 2015.

1. rodknocker macrumors 6502

On the launch date of 10.04.2015 you'll be able to buy the new MacBook in the Apple Retail Store.

But there is no clear date when you are able to buy the MacBook in the Online Store and when it will be delivered .

For example: when you ordered the iPhone 5 and iPhone 6/6 Plus Apple in the Apple Online Store on the preorder date, Apple delivered on the launch date.

Maybe you'll be able to order the new MacBook on the 08.04., so that Apple will be able to deliver on the launch date.

I'm asking because of the education discount.

2. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

Honestly, I think that if there was going to be a pre-order date, they would have announced it, just like they did for the Apple Watch.

Can't you get the education discount in store ?

3. noodles5666 macrumors regular

4. newellj macrumors 601

Unless Apple changes the current situation, online orders look like they will open up at midnight PT on Friday, 4/10.

5. BriOS macrumors member

And you can get the education discount online too.

http://store.apple.com/us-hed

6. PDFierro macrumors 68040

There's no way you won't be able to buy online on the 10th.

7. iRun26.2 macrumors 68000

I will order mine at 12:01AM.

8. rodknocker thread starter macrumors 6502

At the moment it looks like that.

But this is different to the past. Apple delivered products ordered in the Online Store usually on the launch date.

So if you order on 10.04., i think, it will be impossible that the will deliver it on 10.04.

Apple has never disadvantaged customers.

9. matt2053 macrumors 6502a

No, Apple have never done that for new MacBooks. It goes on sale April 10. You can order online, or you can go into a store. Just like buying anything else.

iPhone is pretty much the only thing they preorder, because they sell about 20 times more of them than anything else.

10. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Apple has never announced a laptop that wasn't "... and will be available for sale online and in store today" at the end of their announcement... well at least not since the original Macbook Pro.

This is a mess, leaving customers wondering if they'll be able to get them in store or if they should stay up late to pre-order.

I honestly think they're just doing it to cause a media photo-op showing lots of people in their store to make it seem like they're bigger than they are on watch\macbook day.

11. newellj macrumors 601

For what it's worth, the updated MBA and rMBP models announced at the Spring Forward event weren't available in stores until Wednesday, at least here in Boston. Perhaps they were available sooner in Apple Stores on the West Coast. I'm not defending the process, just mentioning another data point that's consistent with the rMB rollout (and inconsistent with the historical practice you mention).

12. shenan1982 macrumors 68040

shenan1982

Huh? It's always been "Available today" at the announcements. Sometimes "today" means tomorrow, because it's next to impossible to get every store stocked with product... but as far as I can remember, they don't make a practice of announcing a laptop a month before its release, and then not take pre-orders...

There would be no reason to set a date for availability, if they weren't going to be able to be had on that day, after a month wait. Available April 10... why not just say "Available April 17" if what they meant was you can order it April 10 and have it around April 17? It's not a logical release method.

13. newellj macrumors 601

I'm not sure what you're responding to in my post, so I'll try again. On that Monday the updated MBAs and rMBP were available for web orders from the Apple Store. They were not physically in the Boston-area Apple Stores until Wednesday of that week, two days later, and even then it took a great deal of work to persuade the Genii that they had them in the store.

14. pasadena macrumors 6502a

pasadena

They said it would be available on April 10th. And it will. That means it will be available online and in stores on April 10th. Delivery time isn't any more relevant than the time it takes you to drive to a physical store.

If they were planning on opening it for pre-orders, they would have said so.

15. ruhollah glare macrumors newbie

New Retina display designs have often been the cause of delays, both long and short once the early production inventory runs out. The rMB's screen is pushing the limits of thinness, and would not surprise if it leads to higher levels of production rejects and--delays. The keyboard as well, but much less a worry I would think. Its another thinner design with new key actuation and lighting scheme.

I'll try to maintain patience through the 10th of Apr, and hopefully beyond. Hoping for some luck, and, early scheduling of my order to the minute for the BTO. :cool:

16. newellj macrumors 601

Yup. I'm curious whether Best Buy and other authorized retailers will also have them on the 10th. I'm planning to go to a mall next Friday that has both an Apple Store and a Best Buy. No stress. :)