Launch day 4S owners...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by puma1552, Apr 21, 2013.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

Are you going to upgrade to the 5 (specifically those on ATT who will be eligible for a full upgrade next month) or just skip it and wait for the 5S?

I was originally planning on waiting for the 5S, but if I go ahead and get the 5, then I can probably get the six next fall when I'm eligible for an upgrade again, which will probably be around when it comes out.

I'm kind of bored being on the unexciting S cycle.

Note it would be a serious drag and wrench in the plans if ATT pulled the 24 month upgrade wait that Verizon just did, which is probably the world's worst business decision ever made...but once one carrier does something, they all seem to follow suit...

2. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Put your faith in AT&T they're very trustworthy you can always count on them to do the right thing

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I would stick with the "s" cycle, I wish I was on it. They seem to keep the same body for them, and cases and accessories are out more. I had my iPhone 5 since November and finally got a Mophie battery case for last month.

4. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I believe that AT&T allowed people to upgrade early for the earlier iPhones such as the 3GS. They stopped doing that for the last few iPhones and so to upgrade to a 64GB, I think it cost $499 for the early upgrade price. AT&T will likely enforce that again, seems to be the new trend for contract required carriers.

5. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

early upgrades are 250

6. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That is the eligible price for the lowest capacity model. Early upgrade option was always higher. I had to pay $499 to get the 3GB iPhone 4 as an early upgrade because I was not eligible.

7. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

8. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Wrong.

----------

I see what you are saying, yes $250 plus the cost of the iPhone.

9. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

I'm in your situation with 4s on AT&T. I'll probably just grab the 5s. I'm tired of thinking too far ahead about my smartphones and such.

They do seem to work out some kinks on the s models too. The antennae problem on the 4 (for me) was ridiculous.

Also, might as well wait to hear a bit more about the new phone anyways.

10. SupadudeX macrumors member

Right now I'm planning on an S4 or HTC One because Apple refuses to increase the screen size. I'll probably wait around until iOS 7 is released just to see if Ives can do anything revolutionary. Not holding my breadth though...

11. IndoX macrumors regular

Early upgrade prices for AT&T are $200 off the full price of the phone.

So as it stands:

$250 for iPhone 4 (8GB)
    $349 for iPhone 4S (16GB)
    $449, $549, $649 for iPhone 5 (16GB, 32GB, 64GB)

12. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I upgraded to the five because a family member wanted the 4s and essentially didn't want to pay for it, so my 4s was an Xmas gift to them. Having used the 5 I can say that I would be happy still using the 4s. I honestly don't feel that 4s users are missing anything at all, unless they really just want that extra little bit of screen real estate. My vote goes for sticking with the 4s and seeing what is around the corner.

Edit: I guess lte is nice, but hspa+ is no slouch either.

13. poliryh macrumors newbie

14. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I prefer the non S cycle, but I agree the case issue sucks, Apple needs to give their case MFG's time to make them, it took exceptionally long with the 5 and I got mine on release day, but had to get a very basic slip cover bc there were no cases out, kind of stupid for Apple to do this if you ask me.

I did love my 4S though, still have one at home as a spare.

15. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

The non-S cycle users are the beta testers for the hardware that we'll be getting in a year, so the question you have to ask yourself is do you want bleeding edge or do you want fast, stable, and sound? ;)

16. TWD98j macrumors regular

I got the 4S on AT&T on launch day back in Oct 2011 and am eligible for an upgrade in some 2 weeks from now.

When the iPhone 5 released last Sept, AT&T would have let me upgrade early, for a $250 early upgrade fee. So for a 16GB iPhone 5 the price would have been $449. Granted, although this is still $200 less than full retail, I could not justify throwing any extra money to AT&T.

Plus, in terms of what the phone can actually do, I only seemed to be missing out on the slightly larger screen and LTE speeds from the 4S to the 5, since the 4S is able to reap all the benefits of iOS 6. Even though I would love LTE speeds, on my 4S I get about 5-6mbps downloads on AT&T's "4G" network, which is plenty adequate for me. Plus, I have a mophie juice pack plus for my 4S, and there was not one available for the 5 up until about a month ago.

So, I decided to keep my 4S through the duration of the contract, or at least until the 5S. I for one do not mind being on the "S" cycle (came from a 3GS) as the design seems to remain the same, yet the "bugs" from the initial iteration are able to be fixed. An example of this would be "antennagate" from iPhone 4 resulted in a dual antenna system on the 4S.

So yes, I will wait for the 5S, whether that means June/July or Sept/Oct is anybody's guess though.

17. MonkeySee.... macrumors 68040

MonkeySee....

I got mine on launch day. I'm tempted to skip teh 5S too as my 4S is a rock. I guess it depends what fancy features iOS7 brings that won't work on my 4S.

I'll also be waiting for my BT Broadband to run its course so I can move over to EE here in the UK.

18. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

I'll skip this update, although I'm an iPhone 4 owner. It has served me well until now.

19. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I just got my 5 last month cause I'm not too concerned with the differences between the S versions as long as they support the same iOS.

But I was happy to get a brand new Mophie Helium for my 5 off eBay for only $5 because somebody didn't realize they chose the Buy Now option for their listing and still respected the sale. ^^

20. 618537 Guest

21. Bear macrumors G3

And what do you do if there isn't an "S" version in the next couple of years. Apple could decide to release the iPhone 6 this year and not a 5s.

22. 618537 Guest

As Jobs has already designed the 5S and 6 it's unlikely they're going to stray from his vision. In the event that they do I'll deal with it when they do.

23. Bear macrumors G3

Even if Jobs designed them, there is nothing to say the numbering won't change.

24. 618537 Guest

I'm sure he probably numbered them too.

But I'm not going to argue over numbers - why don't we all wait and see.

25. parseckadet macrumors 6502a

parseckadet

Personally, I'm dumping AT&T as soon as my contract is up. Not being able to hold a call in my house for more than 5 minutes is kind of a big deal. I got the 4S and renewed because I knew a lot of things would be changing between then and now. We now have both Sprint and T-Mobile as options, as well as sharable data plans. Those two things change the landscape a lot.

But, if I were happy with AT&T service I think I would hold out for the 5S. If I'm going to lock in for another two years I want the latest and greatest, even if it isn't that different over the last model. But part of the reason I'm considering T-Mobile is that I wouldn't feel compelled to upgrade if I were happy with the device I had. With AT&T you're throwing money down the drain if you don't upgrade as soon as you can. Not so on T-Mobile.