Launched new site SFBay.ca — Need some MR mojo!

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by wHo_tHe, Nov 28, 2011.

1. wHo_tHe macrumors regular

I've been a MacRumors members since 2002, and have enjoyed and benefited from the design advice and critiques here in the Web Design forum.

We've just launched my latest site, SFBay, at http://sfbay.ca. It's a news aggregation site for the San Francisco Bay Area, where I'm from! A team of editors scour the Web for the best coverage of Bay Area news, sports, culture and more.

We're just getting started, and some things aren't fully baked yet. But I'd appreciate your feedback and, if you like the site, your readership!

Thanks again in advance for the feedback on the design and the overall site!

:) http://sfbay.ca - SFBay.ca / All bay, all day :)

2. manueld macrumors 6502

it's a bit too busy for me. the top half takes up so much space for banner ads/weather/quotes/logo. i prefer the layout of sfist.com

3. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Way to busy. I think it's too wide as well. I would try and have it so visiters don't need to zoom in and scroll around to read the text.

4. wHo_tHe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the feedback, really appreciate it!

5. jtara macrumors 65816

Eh? Did Canada invade?

Ditto too wide. I see it's flexible above the minimum width, but the minimum width is WAY too much.

And too much white space.

And OMG the default article font size. Well, everybody's grandparents will be able to read it without adjustment, anyway.

6. wHo_tHe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks again for the valuable feedback. I'll be adding a media query-based approach to better display on smaller screens.

7. jtara macrumors 65816

I find it too wide even on a 1600x1200 screen. Not everybody runs their browser full-screen. In fact, with almost all monitors shipped today being wide-screen, I would assume that most do NOT run full-screen browsers.

I just think most people are used to reading vertical rectangles. Something about hundreds of years of conditioning based on printed-page standards...

Will media queries respond to the browser page geometry, or just the screen geometry?

8. wHo_tHe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your feedback! Media queries respond to the dimensions of the browser window.

9. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

You should try making your design so that it can scale to something like 1000x800 or even 800x500 without too much trouble. Yes, we have 27" 2560x1600 screens out there but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone wants to run their web browser full screen.

10. wHo_tHe thread starter macrumors regular

THANKS for the feedback MR!!

I've gone ahead and made the SFBay.ca site more accessible to users with smaller screens. I'm now supporting browser widths down to 920px using media queries to optimize the content at 1000px and 1200px.

I'll start here and move on to supporting smaller screens including mobile.

Thanks again for all the support and feedback!

SFBay.ca -- All Bay, All Day // http://sfbay.ca

11. jtara macrumors 65816

Currently, the home page doesn't scroll for me at all. (Firefox 7.0.1/Linux).

Grab the scroll bar and an image that says "Brown & Campbell Collection" moves up and down on the page. But the page doesn't move at all!

Hmmm... reloaded the page and now it work. Seems the script for that slideshow is a bit hinky...

12. wHo_tHe thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, it's just a vanilla HTML5 object embed of a pretty simple .swf.

I've read of some bugs with Linux Firefox 7.0.1 and Flash. Sounds like turning hardware acceleration off might help some people. Generally I try to avoid Flash for reasons just like this. The Flash plug-in likes to crash on lots of platforms. :(

13. waloshin, Dec 15, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Why is it sfbay.canada?

[​IMG]
    You might want to fix this: Chrome 15.0.874.102 Screen Resolution 1440x900.