Laundry List of iPod issues - headphone jack, hard drive, and other assorted gripes.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by d_and_n5000, Aug 12, 2008.

1. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Enter the Laundry List of issues with my third(count 'em, third) fifth generation, 30 GB iPod:

1. This was the first thing I noticed when I got the iPod from the Circuit City extended warranty program: it just didn't look quite right. When the screen is tilted, it has a bluish tinge. None of the others had this. The click wheel looks like it doesn't quite fit into the space for it. Most notably, the font on the back for the capacity and the serial number and so on don't look like the usual Myriad. The Apple logo also looks like it wasn't etched well if you look closely - there are lines going through it. The entire package also scratches much worse than either of my other two did. I've had it for two months and it looks as bad as my previous one did at a year and a half.

2. It's given me headaches since that time. It took me a three-hour wrestle with it to get it to sync the first time, and since then it has worked intermittently at best. As of now, I've gotten frustrated with not being able to sync it and have attempted to format it with the Windows My Computer-rightclick-"Format" deal, with another third-party formatting tool, and restored twice with iTunes in the past four hours. In the past, I have also used Disk Utility on my PowerBook. This last time, the iPod shows that it has 27.8 GB capacity and as much available, but iTunes still won't recognize it. I've reinstalled iTunes and everything is as updated as can be. I've also scanned everything for viruses and whatnot.

3. The headphone jack also doesn't sound right. I've noticed that I cannot hear certain instruments in some songs when I'm using the headphone jack(with any set of earbuds), but when I'm using my iHome, it sounds fine.

What do y'all think? I can live with how it looks and the headphones, even, but now I'm left with an iPod with no music that won't sync. Do y'all think I could call up Apple and get this thing replaced under warranty?

Thanks for the help, advice, and other insights.

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Sorry to hear about your iPod issues. This is not acceptable, since your iPod is suppose to play music. You definitely need a new one.

Did all your iPods with issues come from Circuit City? Can you get your money back considering all the issues you had? Maybe this is an issue with the stock they have.

Can you buy one thru an Apple Store or thru the Apple online store?

3. kmiahali macrumors regular

kmiahali

you should call up apple and ask them nicely if the ipod warranty covers this and if they say no then threaten them somehow because the 3 main things on an ipod is for it to sync, play music, and for the consumer to enjoy it, right? you should do what you have to to get what you want...:apple:

4. d_and_n5000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Gah!

I just called Apple Support, and surprise surprise, this iPod was originally purchased in freaking 2006 and I have no warranty on it through them anymore. Circuit City took it, repaired the hell out of it(which explains the screen issues and the weird font on the back), probably because it broke for someone else, and gave it to me as a replacement.

Circuit City's getting hell for this one.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

That's not possible. CC wouldn't repair them. Why aren't you asking CC for a replacement if it's not working right and it's under their store cover :confused:

6. d_and_n5000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Well, someone somewhere refurbished it and I got it as a replacement under Circuit City's in-house extended warranty.

I will now, but I was under the impression that the iPod I got wasn't two years old and that it was new enough that if I were having issues with it, I could call up Apple and get a repair or replacement under warranty. This is the fourth iPod I've gotten from Circuit City adn the third that I got from an extended warranty, and I wasn't impressed this last time through.

All's I know is that it got bought back in 2006 and I got it looking new, but not quite right. That would be because of the refurbishment.

7. stupertaco macrumors newbie

I would say try to talk to Apple, and if the 1st tier people won't do anything just haggle with em until they get you to a level 2 support person. I had to do all that when my refurbished iPhone was giving me battery issues (according to the level 1 tech the battery running out without me using it was totally normal...). The level 2 guy was REALLY good about getting me out a new one. Good luck with it all!!!

8. d_and_n5000 thread starter macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

Issue is that because it's a year out of warranty, not only would I pay thirty bucks to have the rep hear me out, but I'd also pay any repair/replacement costs. The rep basically told me that if I didn't want to pay for the service call, I was out of luck with Apple and would have to go to Circuit City for help.