Lavar Ball: UCLA had too many "white guys"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Herdfan, Apr 8, 2017.

1. Herdfan macrumors 6502

2. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Lavar Ball has been saying stupid stuff all season and been getting tons of ridicule and flack. Even NBA guys like Lebron have basically told him to ****.

It's not like this has been ignored.

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I listen to ESPN radio regularly, and Lavar Bell has been called out time and time again for his idiotic statements.

Is that not enough outrage for you?

4. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

I agree that ESPN has done a good job criticizing some of his comments. But no, it is not near the level of outrage that would be all across the MSM had for example had Mitch Trubisky's mom said that NC lost games because there were too many black players on the team. She would have been crucified in the media Sports and MSM) and would probably have to go into hiding.

Instead she mainly neutered him by admonishing the press to call him Mitchell, not Mitch.

5. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

this guy is a clown, all he is accomplishing is overhyping his son to the point that he may never live up to the expectations

6. Zenithal macrumors 68040

There was this film called "White Guys Can't Jump" or something like that, that was popular in when it came out. It was a comedy film that highlighted the stupidity of statements like this lodged against white players. There was a trend of reverse racism in college ball in the late 80s and early 90s that sparked the creation of the film.

7. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I think part of is that he has been staying so much stupid stuff that nobody takes the guy seriously anymore. He's just become a punchline at this point.

Had this occurred in a vacuum, the outrage probably would be real, but the guy has been a joke all season.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm confused. Did Trubisky's mom say that, or are you just making a hypothetical argument?
    --- Post Merged, Apr 8, 2017 ---
    The man has no power. The outrage is limited to an eyeroll because there's no leverage the public can use against him.

Likewise, Mitch Trubisky's mom wouldn't be crucified as much as Herdfan would like to believe because she'd be just another idiot American spouting racist crap. There are countless people like that out there and they're generally ignored. You need to be a politician, celebrity, or in some prominent position for the backlash to be significant. No leverage, no backlash.

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Racism is a much bigger problem when it can actually impact the lives of other people. I don't see it here, considering that this guy's perceived credibility doesn't seem to be very high.

10. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

Hypothetical.

I think she would. The MSM would be all over it. Maybe there is some truth to Lavar Ball getting the eyerolls because of all the outrageous things he says, but her saying it would make news. Just like rappers can use the N-word and say horrible things about women and no one cares, but a white guy does it and it a national travesty.

11. BeeGood, Apr 8, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2017

BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Black people can be just as bigoted as white people, but the fact of the matter is that black people have a history of being systematically excluded from different parts of American society, so a white suburban woman saying that about a group of black football players resonates differently than what Lavar Ball stupidly said about UCLA's white players. That's just reality.

That doesn't excuse Lavar Ball for his idiocy, and as others have said, he's known for being a poop stain that thinks people should listen to him simply because his sons are good at basketball. But if some sense of equality or fairness is what you're after, perhaps the best path to that isn't to try to make people outraged because a fool said something foolish.

12. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Should ESPN not put him on the air ?

13. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Abso-flipping-lutely not.

Why give this clown what he wants? He wants attention and deserves none.

14. Herdfan thread starter macrumors 6502

There, fixed it for you. His other two are supposedly no where near as good as Lonzo. Steve Alford should rescind offers to them simply so he doesn't have to deal with Lavar.

15. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

Lonzo is going to be a lottery pick. I would say a player can still be "good" without being one of the top guys in a draft class.

16. citizenzen macrumors 65816

ESPN probably will not giving him the opportunity to voice candid thoughts on air.

Exceptions could be made in the case of reporting news about him, or maybe a pre-recorded, edited interview.

But I wouldn't expect to see them stick a microphone in his face and risk what comes out.