Law and Order Candidate ? Trump bashes Fire Marshals

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Peace, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump seems to think fire safety rules are holding America back.

At a rally Monday in Columbus, Ohio, Trump complained that the local fire marshal had turned thousands of his supporters away because the town’s mayor is a Democrat.

“He ought to be ashamed of himself,” he said. “They turned away thousands of people.”

Bashing the fire marshal appears to be a new part of Trump’s stump speech.

"The fire department won’t let them in because of a fire regulation, which is very sad."

It’s unusual for a presidential candidate to complain about fire codes, behavior more common among people waiting to get inside a crowded nightclub.

“You shouldn’t pick on people that are doing their jobs,” Solomon said.

In Colorado, the Trump campaign may have caused the problem to begin with. Colorado Springs Fire Marshal Brett Lacey told a local TV station that the campaign had distributed too many tickets ― something it has done before.

Justin Koch, president of the Colorado Springs Professional Firefighters Association, responded to Trump’s bullying in a statement on Monday.

“Occupancy levels are set to protect the public’s safety and we find it unfortunate that Trump’s campaign would question our judgment, expect us to break the law or [waver] from our mission to protect our community,” Koch said.

On Monday, Trump again said it was a “disgrace” that the Colorado Springs fire marshal turned people away.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-fire-marshal_us_579f9a8ae4b08a8e8b5ee55f?section=&

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Not in your article, but apparently this was right after this same fire department rescued Trump and his goon team from being trapped in an elevator.

What a piece of **** he is. You gotta be a real ass hole to bash firefighters.

Fire regulations are there for a reason.

3. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

I'm sure he thought he was being funny, but, once again, off-key and dumb. What if the fire marshall let too many people and then there was a panic and a stampede and people trampled to death? Happens from time to time all over the world.

4. samcraig macrumors P6

I disagree. I don't think he was being funny. Trump is all about ratings and publicity. What he sees is a crowd that could be 500 vs 200. So he wants to say that he has the most attendees at his events, etc. The fire marshalls are standing in his way...

5. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Happened not to far from me just over a decade ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Station_nightclub_fire

100 people died and many more were severely injured because that club was over-capacity and wasn't up to date with fire codes.

Fire regulations are there for a reason. Period.

6. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

It's typical of Trump to scapegoat other people and his followers will eat it up when they should be blaming the campaign itself for inadequately planning the event.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Hillary & the DNC scapegoated the Russians & their supporters are pretty much the same as the trump supporters.

8. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Brilliant, you conveniently neglected to mention the FBI as one of the so called scapegoaters. When the FBI is backing Trump's assertions, let me know.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

He could have left the fire marshal out of it and still had plenty of ammo talking about Columbus' lying thieving mayor.

10. samiwas macrumors 65816

Yes, there are many documented deaths related to over-crowding of venues and lack of quick escape. I've been in an over-crowded venue. It was awful. We ended up leaving before the band we paid to see even came on.

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

there you go bringing in Hillary please try to control yourself. I know it is difficult when your only tool in your bag is your hate for Hillary.

12. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Such as https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillsborough_disaster

Seriously fire codes have saved massive numbers of lives. Plus I suspect they actually save money as fewer fires means you need fewer firefighters ;) - https://www.usfa.fema.gov/data/statistics/

13. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Is it physically possible for you to actually call him out on something?

14. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Look, I enjoy debate here as much as the next guy...but...the issue is whether it appropriate as a Presidential Candidate to chastise an Employee(s) who was doing their lawful duty? There's plenty of Hillary threads...care to chime in on the issue?

15. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sure. I'd like to see him cut down on the twitter usage, and get into debate prep. I'd also like for him to quit with the quick platitudes and start laying down some detailed plans on how he is going to do all the things he said. I'm far from a Trump supporter, my guys are out of the race, so I'm left with being 100% anyone but Hillary.

16. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

How are fire marshals linked to law and order?

17. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

"Fire marshals' duties vary but usually include fire code enforcement and/or investigating fires for origin and cause. Fire marshals may be sworn law-enforcement officers and are often experienced firefighters.

A fire marshal's duties vary by location. Fire marshals may carry a weapon, wear a badge, wear a uniform or plain clothes, and make arrests pertaining to arson and related offenses, or, in other localities, may have duties entirely separate from law enforcement, including building- and fire-code-related inspections. In many areas, the fire marshal is responsible for enforcing laws concerning flammable materials."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_marshal

18. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Fire regulations, including the occupancy limits of public spaces, are calculated by a well-established formula based on a set of parameters, including the overall size of the space; the manner of construction, and the number of exits. The maximum occupancy of a public building is calculated, and posted as part of a facility's final occupancy inspections. Architects and engineers refer to the applicable fire and building codes when designing and constructing the building. If you want to build a basketball arena with seating capacity for 30,000 people, you put in the the appropriate number of fire exits. Its not a political matter. Its a matter of fundamental public safety.

Its very much a "law and order" issue.

The reality is, its seemingly trivial little Government regulations like fire and building codes that keep all of us - on a daily basis - safe. Just as much, if not more so, than loftier Constitutional protections. I'm very glad we have Constitutional amendments against self-incrimination and Acts of Attainder. But I don't recall actually using those laws in the last few weeks.

Its my local fire and building codes that guarantee that my house won't catch fire from substandard wiring.

Every day I live in it.

19. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

So the visual I got here when I saw the he thread was Fire Marshall Bill. Though I doubt Fire Marahall Bill is a Union Hack playing politics.

20. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

No, it is not. Using your logic, FAA regulations on airworthiness standards regarding aircraft type certification are "law and order" issues. Regulatory bodies are not "law and order" bodies.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

If it is FAA regulations that prevent poorly maintained, un-airworthy aircraft; piloted by untrained individuals from regularly crashing into houses and kindergartens - then yes, it is a "law and order" matter.

Law and order means more than just hunting down criminals. It means ensuring the peace and security of the entire community. An armed robber on the loose might kill one or two people. A supermarket meat case filled with e-coli tainted hamburger could kill hundreds.

Maybe food inspectors and FAA agents don't fit into the Hollywood ideal of an heroic lawman. But they definitely do just as much to keep us safe.

22. HEK, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2016

HEK macrumors 68030

HEK

What the f has that got to do with bashing fire Marshall for doing his duty and keeping people safe.

Trump is all for law and order unless he has to follow the laws. Utterly amazing, shakes my head.

Trump is wrong, most everyone knows he is wrong, even he knows it, but just can't bring himself from taking his foot out of his mouth. Turning this around in any way to bash Clinton is just plane wrong as well.

23. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

They don't because they're not.

24. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Nothing but that it keeps people from thinking of how bad trump is. When you have a pile of dung for a candidate you have to keep shooing the flies away.

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Well, they lack the authority to arrest people. But they certainly have the authority to revoke an airplane's airworthiness certificate. To order the closure of an unhygienic restaurant or grocery store. They have the right, and duty, to investigate potential violations of State, Local, and Federal law as it relates to food and air safety.

The are enforcing the law. That makes them, in my definition of the word: Law men (and women.)