Lawmakers furious over China-made U.S. Olympic uniform

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacNut, Jul 13, 2012.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

At least Washington can agree on something...
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olym...-usa-uniforms-under-fire-lawmakers/56175616/1

My issue with the uniforms is that they are ugly and not very olympic.

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

The US is all ****ed up and the only thing our leaders can agree on is this. How sad.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Bread and circuses, modern style.

4. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

Morons

We have US Flags NOT made in America and now we have US Olympians wearing clothes that weren't made in America and some idiot trots out the Global Economy BS

Infinite stupidity

5. ijen0311 macrumors 65816

ijen0311

I'm more offended by the giant pony Polo logo.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

seriously, outraged by this? we probably couldn't afford to have them made anywhere else.

7. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

The New Zealand Olympic uniforms were designed in Australia (Rodd and Gunn) by a Czech. The material came from Italy and the garments were made in Turkey China and Italy. The design was based on the NZ 1948 uniforms. Seems (seams) like we can't do anything in New Zealand. A bloody shame.

KGB:cool:

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I like the girl's outfits, but guys, seriously????

9. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

It's dumb that they pick out any one thing. Blah blah.. US company. I would suggest that these companies view themselves as sovereign and merely parked in the US. There are far more important issues, yet when it comes to international competitions, the political chest beating comes out. I agree with you that the "global economy" statements simply amount to a new set of buzz words to quickly shut down arguments without providing a real argument.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Especially because they make everyone look like dorks.

;)

11. 184550 Guest

12. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

They look like business suits not something an athlete would wear. I think the uniforms they had for Salt Late City were better.

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Where ever do they find time for all their bluster and self-righteous indignation? They need to look in their own closets and all around themselves. Cheap Chinese stuff in quintessentially American. And if they don't like that, then they should use their power of office to do something about it and not just use the Olympics as a scapegoat.

It's all just election year posturing. Huffing and puffing for the cameras.

14. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

I have an interesting story for you all that plays on this-

My neighbor is in the plush toy business- his father started it years ago. Without giving a history; I will share that they make stuffed animals for theme parks, vacation destinations, etc. All made in china- as that was the only way to make them profitable.

About a year and a half ago, they set out to source American materials, labor, stitching, buttons, you name it. they wanted a 100% US made product, down to the needle that touched it.

He said, it was the most difficult undertaking to find what makes a teddy bear 100% US made. He did succeed- but - the bear cannot have corduroy pants. Guess why.

Oh, and build a bear- 100% china.

So, I am not surprised and neither should or stupid govt- shows what they know about the textile industry.

15. niuniu macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Clowns. What about all their training equipment, materials for the buildings they're in, food, shoes, cars etc etc

Do clothes have some sort of special status that they can't be manufactured in a different part of the world? Ridiculous. That's the problem with politicians today, they'll jump on any bandwagon for a vote.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i work for a souvenir company. we were working with a partner to get some statues made, and to make them in the US 100% would raise the price to 3x the cost if they were sourced from china. exact same materials and process. people won't buy them when they can buy something else for so much less. its a shame really.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Good god- I just looked and they're terrible. They almost look like Navy outfits or something, but not nearly as sexy. The cuts are terrible. And the headwear & ties- yeesh! Super tacky.

18. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

To slightly take this off topic, I wonder if our 'elected leaders' could also agree that something like the Olympics, which is pretty much there to take our minds off of the plights of the world with friendly sports competition, shouldn't be filled with political ads sponsored by PACs attacking one party, person, or otherwise.

That is really sad, and they should be as equally furious over that.

BL.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    For some reason, I look at the uniforms, and the first thing that comes to mind is Pan-Am.

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly- they're far more dreadful though.

21. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You gotta admit, the whole affair is a perfect example of the US' role in the global economy. Designed in America by an American, sent overseas to be manufactured in China.

We have become an IP nation. It's no wonder we're having all these blow ups over patents and copyrights. Good ideas are our only remaining export.

22. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Harry Reid is just another Washington hypocrite and bag of wind.

He has no problem with China buying up the bulk of the US debt so he can spend trillions that we don't have in the bank, but he makes a big show of opposing the purchase of athlete uniforms that were manufactured in China.

I wonder where Harry's cell phone or computer were made?

23. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Probably Taiwan with the money he has.

The Good Ideas part could be debated... heavily.

24. Queso macrumors G4

Exactly the same for the UK. Our media made a big deal about how the outfits are designed by Stella McCartney, but not on the detail that they're made by a German company in Indonesian factories.

Personally I'm not fussed. Some seem to think you can have all the benefits of globalisation yet keep what you had before.

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

And neither do Republicans. Or have you forgotten Cheney's famous quote?

http://www.businessweek.com/stories/2004-12-26/what-killed-off-the-gop-deficit-hawks

Hasn't worked so well, has it?