LawNewz: ISIS Hostage Family Says Obama Broke Promise to Donate to Charity in Her Memory

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Jess13, Aug 26, 2016.

1. Jess13 Suspended

Jess13

Add this to ‘The award for biggest and fakest joke in U.S. politics ever, goes to...’

ISIS Hostage Family Says Obama Broke Pledge to Donate to Charity in Her Memory

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/isis-hostage-family-says-obama-broke-pledge-to-donate-to-charity-in-her-memory/

Humanitarian aid worker Kayla Mueller was kidnapped by ISIS forces when she visited Syria in 2013. She was killed less than two years later. On March 13, 2015, U.S. President Barack Obama visited her parents in Phoenix, Arizona, and asked them what he could do for them. The parents said he could donate to a foundation they established in her memory. He promised to do that.

To date, the family says the President hasn’t followed through.

ABC’s 20/20 interviewed Carl Mueller and Marsha Mueller for a report that premieres Friday night.

“I’m still waiting for that donation, Mr. President,” Carl said.

The couple says it was supposed to be an anonymous gift, and reminisced about their meeting in the interview.

“He asked what he could do for you,” Marsha told Carl.

“He says, ‘You won’t know, it’ll be an anonymous donation but I will,’” Carl said.

The donation hasn’t come.

2. samcraig macrumors P6

I hear Louisiana is waiting on Trump's 100K too. Politicians should make sure they come through or at least have their assistants keep after them, eh?

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

If it's an anonymous donation, how do they know if it came or not?

4. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

Because they haven’t received anonymous donation? And if you read the full piece, immediately after where I ended the copy/paste it says:

A White House official told ABC News that the promise did happen, and that Obama will follow through.​

So that White House official confirmed that Obama will follow through, as he still hasn’t. It’s another fake and broken promise by Hoebama.

5. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

He gave the money to BLM instead when their reps visited the White House.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Actually, according to a link to ABC News, (which I found as the source in your Op) on a video posted on its site, a White House official said he didn't know whether the promise had actually been made. But he did say that organizations like the one in question aligned with one's Obama has supported in the past.

Video can be found here: http://abcnews.go.com/International...arity-donation-isis-hostage/story?id=41658582

7. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

The White House and State Department press secretaries are generally lying, deceitful scumbags, you only have to watch and listen to Josh Earnest’s answers to understand: Obama definitely made the promise, and either he forgot to follow through or, the more likely, as I said, it was another fake and broken promise.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You are welcome to believe what you like.

But your description wasn't accurate to what was actually said.​

9. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

Yes it was: Obama already was aware of the charity, met with the parents ~17 months ago, with the Earnest-added minimization deflection that: it is the kind he and his wife would support and Earnest expects they will (now that they’re put on blast).

Obama promised them, and like the lying bitch that Obama is he broke his [fake] promise.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Unsubstantiated. That is not what is said in the video.

11. Jess13 thread starter Suspended

Jess13

******** it is “unsubstantiated.” Watch the damn Q&A, that is what he said. Here, I’ll transcribe it for you, listen to the Q&A as you read along.

ABC Journalist: “Kayla Mueller was taken hostage and murdered by ISIS, and the president went out to visit with the family about seventeen-months ago. Her parents say that during that visit, the president had promised to make a donation to a foundation they had set up in Kayla’s name. Is that correct, did he make that promise?”

Josh Earnest: “[...] What I can say is that—I’m not going to speak to any private conversations the president has had with the Mueller family. I know that they’ve given an interview. What I will say is, the president is aware of the foundation Kayla’s Hands, that’s been formed to honor her memory and to honor her life’s work. It certainly is consistent with the kind of charitable organization that the president and the first lady have supported in the past, and I do anticipate that the president would be—would make a commitment to support this organization moving forward.”

ABC Journalist: “Because, what Carl Mueller, Kayla’s father, said, was that the president in that meeting back in March of last year [2015], that he said that he would be making a donation to the foundation and seventeen-months later, he [Mr. Mueller] says the donation has not been made. Can you confirm that no donation has been made?”

Josh Earnest: “Well listen, I wasn’t a part of the conversation. Obviously, Mr. Mueller and the president were. So what I can tell you is...”

ABC Journalist: “But you don’t think he [Mr. Mueller] would lie about this?”

Josh Earnest: “No, I’m not accusing anybody of not telling the truth I’m just indicating that I wasn’t part of the meeting and even if I were I wouldn’t—this is a private conversation. The president is obviously aware of the foundation that’s been set up (How, from “watching the news” that day or because he promised to donate when visiting the family, as the father says? The latter) to support the life’s work of Kayla Mueller and it is exactly the kind of organization that the president and the first lady have supported in the past and I would anticipate that this is a foundation that the president and the first lady would support.”

ABC Journalist: “Can you think of any reason that would prompt a delay like that? I mean, I know the the president’s obviously busy, could he have forgotten about it or something that would prevent him as president from making a donation?”

Josh Earnest: “Again, I can’t speak to any promises or conversations between the president and the Mueller family directly.”

ABC Journalist: “So just to be clear, the first part of—the first line of questioning here. Can the Mueller family expect that the president—that the Obamas will make a donation to [their] daughter’s—the foundation in the name of Kayla Mueller soon?”

Josh Earnest: “As I’ve mentioned, I can’t speak to any previous conversations that they’ve had but I can tell you...”

ABC Journalist: “But is a donation coming?”

Josh Earnest: “The foundation that—Kayla’s Hands—that’s been established in her memory, is certainly the kind of foundation that the president and first lady have supported in the past. I would anticipate that they would make a financial contribution to continue supporting it.”

Learn how to read and listen to what you’re clearly reading and listening to, how to read and listen between the lines and how to watch who you’re listening to, to see their mannerisms to gain a better sense for what they’re saying and what they’re not and/or hiding.

It could be simply that Obama forgot to keep his promise, but knowing Obama I would wager he made another fake promise because he’s a lying bitch.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

People "promise" things all the time and fail to follow through- Sometimes intentionally, sometimes accidentally. People can also misinterpret the content of conversations.

The redundant exchange between Ernest and the reporter is nauseating. And as the video states, Ernest does not "speak to promises" and only cites the President's past interest in charities. Frankly, I'm not sure how he'd necessarily be privy to a private conversation.

I think @citizenzen is suggesting you can't conclude the White House was aware of the "promise" or specific details of the conversation. And there is no evidence Obama offered a financial commitment in the first place, besides there the parent's comment.

As tragic is this is it's a pretty inconsequential story. Maybe now that Obama the family will recieve the donation.

Personally, I think it's pretty rude to publically complain that someone hasn't donated money to your cause (even if they "promised"). One should not have to justify why they choose not to donate to a cause.

No need for foul language either.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

No ****ing way Obama gets my vote this go round.

14. thermodynamic, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016

thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

And?

All politicians break promises, it makes for stereotyping to become easier to make. I won't post Politifact's entire history of tracking presidents' broken promises, since most people who have lived longer than 8 years can say the same thing and be more or less telling the truth on some level...

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/rulings/promise-broken/

Aren't some of those interesting? Especially from a site many claim is left-wing biased?! Oh, wait...
    --- Post Merged, Aug 27, 2016 ---
    Absolutely true, that is equally inevitable for all.

People are upset in this day and age. More so than in previous years, decades, or even generations. Why is that? How many reasons could exist to drive up angst? What are the real reasons, or are some reasons being manipulated to pass as the causes to trick the population with? And there's one possibility right there, if people feel tricked would they then feel upset? Why or why not?

15. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

It's unequivocal.
    Don't ask too much of him, Jess.

16. pdqgp, Aug 27, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2016

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

He gave his a $400M donation to Iran and simply forgot to put her name on it. His bad....

Who knows, maybe Hil liar y will put forth some of her charity foundations money towards the cause.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 27, 2016 ---

Let me just start by saying.......aka not answering your question and instead throw out some Obama Speak that will be completely politically correct and great but will essentially state that no, Obama hasn't donated any money yet but he is aware of the foundation blah a blah.....

He can't speak to things when it's convenient and when it won't likely look good. In the end, actions speak louder than words and no, so far Obama hasn't given any money. No different than much of what he's done in 8yrs. Talks a good game but couldn't "lead" and focuses more on his own appearance and legacy through BS Speak than through actual actions.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It is?

Here is the claim I refuted: A White House official told ABC News that the promise did happen, and that Obama will follow through.

Please point to the transcript, or the time in the video where the official said the promise was made.

You have a video, and you have a transcript. If it's unequivocal, it should be easy for you to do so.

18. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Refer to post #11 and #15.
    Find the answer there, it should be easy for you.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

If you can't point to the words ... that's telling me they aren't there.

Because they aren't.

If they were, you'd just point to them.

20. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68030

Ulenspiegel

Blessed are the poor in spirit.