Lawrence O'Donnell lambasts NBC re: Trump

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Apr 28, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

There is also a link to the segment on this site.

I have never seen an employee of a network attack his employer this aggressively. I can't imagine anyone at Fox raising this kind of stink about the fact that they employ of have employed almost every potential GOP candidate (effectively funnelling how much money into their campaigns, not to mention the free airtime).

We all know mainstream news media isn't really liberal anymore (if it ever were), but has become dominated by corporate interests and money. How long before O'Donnell is ****-canned by NBC?

2. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Funny you mention this. I don't typically watch The Last Word, but I did happen to catch this segment, and like you I was amazed that O'Donnell had the stones to criticize his own network. Also like you, I wondered how long it'll be before O'Donnell gets the same static that drove Olbermann away.

3. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

I don't watch it either, but when flipping through channels before falling asleep, I heard the tone of his voice, and stopped. It was riveting. He was mad. I kept expecting the screen to go to the test screen.

4. 184550 Guest

I'm not sure I understand the basis for the article.

Trump has had 'The Apprentice' on NBC since January 2004. Was NBC suppose to foresee this problem seven years down the road? :confused:

5. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

No, but if Trump has already signed a contract with NBC for next year, then they know if he is running or not.

6. 184550, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011

184550 Guest

I guess I just don't see how NBC is aiding and abetting Trump.

Is Trump full of ****? Sure. Does he deserve any of the attentions he's getting/ generating? No.

I just don't see how NBC figures into this beyond airing the TV show (which they are probably contractually obligated to do).

EDIT:

NBC probably doesn't want any part of this little mess Trump has created as any involvement could be construed any which way a commentator would please. They say nothing, they get this guy riled up. They say something, everyone thinks it's in support of Trump.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

NBC is loving the fact that Trump will announce his plans during his show. Huge ratings for NBC, something they haven't seen in a long time. More people will be watching Trump's finally over O'Donnell's show.

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It's money in the bank for NBC. Of course they're going to let this continue. If they really didn't like it they would make that clear. They are not prisoners to Trump.

9. 184550 Guest

That's a rather general statement, one could say that about literally any network.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

That's because it's generally true.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

NBC is aiding and abetting NBC. Until his ratings fall, they have no reason to do anything. They had him do a high profile interview with NBC that aired all over their properties (NBC, MSNBC, CNBC). Like it or not, NBC is in the Trump business.

12. 184550 Guest

Yet you present it as a criticism unique to NBC.

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, at any rate they are in business in a general sense. As long as the Trump business is good, they will facilitate it. If his rating were poor, they wouldn't be giving him this level of exposure.

Yes, because NBC are the people who bring us Donald Trump, and that's who we are talking about.

14. 184550 Guest

Annnnnnnd, we're back to square one. ;)

I was illustrating that the OP and the subsequent points about the nature of the relationship are nothing new and are general criticism of the nature of television.

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If Trump makes a serious run for president NBC will have to dump his show. Until that happens he will still be around.

16. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Yes - NBC is to blame for facilitating the farce of Donald Trump's fake presidential bid.

17. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would even bet that they told him to announce it on his show.

18. 184550 Guest

Doubt it, they just didn't want to have a pissing contest about the First Amendment.

NBC isn't stupid. They know Trump is a very polarizing figure who's alienating large segments of the population. Better to let him run his mouth and shut himself up.

19. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Mark Burnett owns the show, the creator of such train wrecks as Survivor. Im sure it was his idea to announce Trumps intentions.

20. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Trump's entire career is based on him not shutting up. NBC is rubbing their hands with glee over this short-term windfall.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

NBC loves this stuff, they had Arnold announce his Governor campaign on Leno. Any way they can get cheap ratings they are all for it.

22. 184550 Guest

Three or four years ago I'm sure the same was said about Beck, look at him now.

Two years ago the same thing was said about Palin, look at her now.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What does that matter? Trump has skills at selling himself, he will not go away. This presidential experiment is just that, he will move on to his next camera chase when this one gets old.

24. 184550 Guest

*Bookmarks this thread for 2013/ 2014*

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Trump's name is as hot as it has ever been. He will ride the wave as long as possible to keep himself relevant. This is his only shot to run for president. I doubt even he thinks he has a chance in hell of winning.