Lawsuit claims hot dogs raise cancer risk

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by spaceboots06, Jul 22, 2009.

1. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

http://www.examiner.com/x-14998-Chi...d22-Lawsuit-claims-hot-dogs-raise-cancer-risk

Do I want cancer? No. Do I like hotdogs? Yes. Would a warming label stop me from eating hotdogs? Perhaps.

2. miiles macrumors regular

12 hotdogs a month? sheesh.

"All things are poison and nothing is without poison, only the dose permits something not to be poisonous."

3. MacMini2009 macrumors 68000

MacMini2009

I eat hot dogs from time to time but not 12 in a month.

4. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I used to like to eat them in summertime but I did quit buying them after reading a bunch of the articles about the nitrates. But it would not take a lot of urging for me to snag one off a grill at a bbq once in a while.

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

6. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would think someone eating 12+ hot dogs a month is also eating a lot of burgers, fries and other high fat/cholesterol fast foods. It seems to me that the risk of death from heart disease or other problems with high cholesterol and/or being morbidly obese would be much greater than colon cancer.

Sort like someone who works with asbestos. Suing over the tools not being ergonomic.

Actually this is even more frivolous. As it is vegetarians suing over meat filled hot dogs causing cancer. Since they do not eat them in the first place. Perhaps they are suing for second hand hot dog cancer:rolleyes:.

So this is like suing a company that works with asbestos for there tools not being ergonomic. When you do not work for the company nor ever use any of their tools.

This is truly one of the hallmark "America Land of the Frivolous Lawsuit" cases.

8. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Until Joey Chesnut or Takeru (Tsunami) Kobayashi is diagnosed with colon cancer, I'd take such news with a grain of salt. For those not in the know, they're top ranked dog munchers, downing 68 and 64 dogs respectively.:eek: In ten minutes.:eek::eek::eek:

As my grandpappy used to say, "In old country, we don't eat THAT part of dog.";)

9. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

The only reputable study pretty much says the same thing, e.g. folks who tend to eat lots of hot dogs also eat a lot of other high fat, highly processed crap. Folks who eat more a more healthy diet with a lot of chicken and fish suffer a slightly lower incidence of colon cancer. The inverse is not necessarily true. There is no reputable study that ties the ingestion of nitrides to an increased risk of colon cancer.

The lawsuit is more a publicity stunt than serious effort to obtain the labeling of hot dogs. The agency who has the sole authority to issue such written warnings is the FDA.

Remember, had G_d meant us to not eat animals, he would not have made them out of meat. :D

10. snberk103 macrumors 603

There is something to take away from this article. You can eat all the hotdogs you want, as long as you drink orange juice with them, since the vitamin C neutralized the nitrates. Better yet, the hotdog makers should just "fortify" their 'dogs with vit C and call them healthy.

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

good thing I have a multivitamin after every lunch and dinner

in your face nitrates

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

And thats where I stopped reading.

13. mashny macrumors regular

Well, most hot dogs contain nitrites and nitrates as preservatives, and both are known carcinogens. The fact is, the food industry has immense power and will not lose this lawsuit. If you are concerned about cancer, don't eat hot dogs. If you eat hot dogs, understand that there are chemicals in them that are carcinogens. And if you smoke, please be aware that cigarettes contain carcinogens...

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Figures some zealot would say shoving weiners down your mouth and passing them through your colon would be bad for you.

15. Honker macrumors newbie

Honker

I thought most mac users would be vegetarians:p

16. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

And if you drink water, please be aware that ingesting too much distilled water can be fatal. www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16614865/ Its all a matter of degree and the use of one's own noggin.

By the way, neither nitrates or nitrites are carcinogens. The arguement is that they break down in the body into alleged cancer causing elements. There are a number of reputable reports that do not agree with this contention, even in fairly large doses. http://infoventures.com/cancer/canlit/eti1195a.html The plaintiff's lawsuit acknowledges that there are contrary studies on the issue. This is why the FDA take months, and years, poring over conflicting reports and deciding whether warning labels are necessary. A judge hearing the case may have one or two trial days to decide.

I smoke 2-3 cigars a year. I do not need the government or FDA to tell me there is a cancer risk in doing do. I am well aware of the risks and have weighed the pros and cons and made my own decision that the pleasure I have derived from the occasional cigar outweighs the cancer risk.

17. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

I think there should be some warning labels on some types of foods like burgers and all that unhealhy garbage..

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Screw that, I like knowing that my food was once mooing, oinking or clucking :D