Lawsuit: State trooper preached about Jesus during traffic stop

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Oct 6, 2014.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

There is no way this cop can be using his hold on this woman to preach to her and call it free speech.
    http://www.indystar.com/story/news/...trooper-preached-jesus-traffic-stop/16678275/
    But she says Indiana State Police Trooper Brian Hamilton pitched Christianity to her when he pulled her over for an alleged traffic violation in August on U.S. 27 in Union County.

With the lights on his marked police car still flashing, the trooper handed Bogan a warning ticket. Then, Bogan said, Hamilton posed some personal questions.

Did she have a home church?

Did she accept Jesus Christ as her savior?

"It's completely out of line and it just — it took me aback," Bogan, 60, told The Indianapolis Star.

Bogan and the American Civil Liberties Union of Indiana have filed a lawsuit in federal court against Hamilton. The lawsuit alleges he violated Bogan's First and Fourth Amendment rights when he probed into her religious background and handed her a church pamphlet that asks the reader "to acknowledge that she is a sinner."

READ MORE:A copy of the pamphlet Bogan claims she was given by an Indiana State Trooper

State Police spokesman Capt. David Bursten confirmed that State Police received notice about the lawsuit in late September but said the agency does not comment on pending litigation.

Calls to a home number listed for Hamilton were not returned.

The lawsuit raises questions about when it's appropriate for a police officer to speak about his faith. If the allegations in this case are true, legal experts said, a violation of the First Amendment's establishment clause appears to be clear.

"The most important thing for people to understand is that the First Amendment specifies that the government shall not prefer one religion over another religion, or religious adherence over anything else," said Jennifer Drobac, a professor at the Indiana University Robert H. McKinney School of Law in Indianapolis who has studied religion and government.

2. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's terrible! There's no reason whatsoever for a publicly-funded law enforcement organization to adopt such a policy. I'm outraged!

3. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

On the positive side, he didn't write her a ticket. You knew I'd have to find the silver lining on the dark cloud.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

To avoid a ticket I'd gladly listen to some Jesus talk.
    That woman might blow this a bit out of proportion, no harm was done here.

5. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

I would've definitely found Jesus right there and then for just a warning :D

----------

;)

6. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

so would he showing him her boobs.

7. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Well... She was 60..

8. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

so it is ok for one person to hold another captive and preach to them? ask them questions they have no right asking? would it have been ok if he was a satanist and she was a christian? why is it ok for a Christian to force their faith on others? it has destroyed so many people and killed so many it is time for it to stop. it shows a lack of respect and lack of following the bible.

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

I would gladly show my beer belly and schlong if I can avoid a ticket.
    I will also listen to some quotes from the satanic bible, talmud or q'ran. Bring it on!

Given a choice I would take the Jesus talk though. I like Jesus.

10. dec. Suspended

dec.

It seems like his mythological "beliefs" have an effect on his duty as state employee. "Acknowledge that she's a sinner" - that is pretty messed up stuff right there and I have the slight feeling that a cop like that would not be happy if you'd say that in his face. Therefore - either train him that he can function without his "god" impacting his work or get rid of him.

11. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

[​IMG]

12. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

Would you mind if the trooper probed your religious beliefs but then preached Islam to you?

13. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

If he didn't write me a ticket he could preach whatever he/she wants. Must as long as they don't pass the snakes.

14. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

But What if he baptized you by throwing a coke on you

15. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Hopefully, he wouldn't go that far... It's tough to get that out of upholstery.

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I would have told him to, "with all due respect, go **** yourself. Now give me my ticket".

17. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

We are seeing the first stages of the convergence of law enforcement and religion. I love where this is going...

THX-1138?

18. impulse462 macrumors 68000

impulse462

Agree. Sure it might have annoyed her, but I would have just said whatever and left.

19. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Actually, if you read more closely, you'll see that he did issue her a warning ticket.

20. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Warning tickets don't cost any money... A violation on the other hand equals $$$

21. LumbermanSVO macrumors 65816

And we all know that money is the only thing that matters in life...

22. APlotdevice, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

A warning is a threat of punished should you repeat your actions. NOT an invitation to be proselytized.

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Unfortunate that she failed to cuss him out, a fine might have provided her with even more leverage in her legal action.

24. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

At least he did not shoot her that's something

25. Meister Suspended

Meister

Now you are starting to see things from the bright side. ;)