Lawyers, I have a question

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Jun 16, 2010.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

So there is a part time resident in the neighborhood who is very secretive and some say he owns a very big piece of real estate (very well known) in California. When I befriend him, he says it's not him but he's just a regular guy with a regular job, like a lawyer. And he contends he is NOT rich like that.

Being a law school dropout (wasn't for me), I am simply curious and first apologize for thinking he was a mega real estate mogul billionaire (and we laughed) and I ask him about his practice. I live in a resort town and most of us are regular people but there is the occasional rich, rich person just trying to blend in the small town. ie) Will Smith comes here often, yet we are not Aspen, CO though.

In our conversations, he does not know what the 5th amendment is nor does he know that a person needs to be served in a lawsuit. He also contends a trial can go on without a defendant being there or even being notified. By then, I realize the lawyer/regular working man tag, is a cover. He does not realize I figure him out. I just stay nice to him.

He probably is the real estate guy who owns the huge landmark and for his anonymity, I will never mention his name, which he never mentioned and his first name isn't a real name anyway.

Weird??

Do you know anybody super rich with a weird cover? I just think he could have picked a better one. Wouldn't any lawyer figure him out, or even a law student? Why didn't he say, "It's none of your business or I own a small store or something?"

Also when I was a gardener 20 years ago I met a client who belongs to a rather famous local family (movie star) and he swore he wasn't closely related or RICH. When he goes to pay me, he drops his wallet and it is full of many 100s.

He peels one off and bids me well and come back next week.

What is it with super rich people insisting they are NOT rich. Don't they see how anybody can see through that facade? And who are they to think they are so important that if they are found out CNN will be camping outside their door? ... or will they?

It's not as if America is interested in a person who owns the 41st biggest skyscraper in the world? So what? The gossip news, which American media has become, wants to know the latest about Tiger's love life.

2. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

They want to keep a low profile and not attract criminals or opportunists? I don't see what's wrong with that. But he should get a better cover story. Why not just say he just dabbles in real estate.

(I'm not a lawyer but answered anyway.)

3. ethical macrumors 68000

I'm not a lawyer...but on the topic of rich people trying to hide it I think some of them may be embarrassed by their wealth.

Intentionally or not, a lot of people act differently around someone they know is extremely wealthy. When I was working last summer I made A LOT of money (for someone my age, and in the short time-frame) and my friends made none. Granted I worked my arse off for it, but for some reason I felt like bit of a d***, being the guy with loads of money. This may not make sense, but it was the case.

On the other side of the coin however, there are those who love to shout it from the rooftops. A close friend of mine, at the ripe old age of 18, inherited a house from an elderly neighbor who had no relatives. He sold the house leaving him with many many pennies in his bank account. He made sure everyone knew about it :p

4. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Given your screen name, you're obviously not. :p

5. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

I took the California Bar exam, and can tell you based on the people I saw running around, and the rules that allow non-accredited law school graduates to take the exam, his cover is perfect!

Half of those people had at best rudimentary understanding of the 5th amendment, civil practice and procedure, etc...

Plus, a large number of attorneys never practice law or don't have a practice that has anything to do with criminal (5th amendment) or civil litigation.

That being said, some of what he said is true. A trial can occur without a defendant (in absentia). Without notice? Perhaps if normal notice methods fail and the defendant is notified through publication.

I think the Spiderman/AIG building is the 41st tallest in the world today, and if that is the case, its owner probably wants to stay incognito for a good reason. That would also explain the complete lack of understanding of the law. ;)

6. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Hmmm... probably a few judicial processes only require 1 party, and may go into effect immediately without you having to be notified. And you can violate them without knowing it.

A restraining order, and bankruptcy stay order come to mind.

With the stay being a burden for some collection agencies/departments to make the attempt to be proactive and check databases on their own before getting notified of the stay, in order to avoid violating a stay.

And I think there are several divorces that happen without the other party being served or notified, though them leaving (or being left behind) is likely a clue it might happen.

7. djjclark macrumors regular

I went to a friends party and met his neighbor who just happened to be a founder of a large shipping company which he had sold for quite a little sum. Guy was nice and laid back but the whole night some dufus kept trying to get him to invest in some corporate bbq party retreat place. The dufuses of the world knowing you are wealthy can be unpleasant and easily avoided with a little white lie.

8. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Thanks for the answer, mac. btw, did you pass? ;)

He wasn't on cal bar or avvo or anywhere, but if he was a lawyer, he certainly didn't know jack as everything he said on other legal topics smacked of "tv" law, and I know you know what I mean mcrain :). First year law students appear to know more than this guy claims to. I go with the theory that he just used a very bad cover story and there is a good reason people much older than me in this neighborhood believe he's really a big real estate developer.

Heck, somebody has to build huge projects and make huge money. I really don't care, but what bugs me is if somebody says they are a lawyer when they don't appear to be. Wasn't law school, the bar, and getting established hard? I would be just as offended if some billionaire said they were a plumber, too or any skilled trade or profession.

If you are super rich, just say you are a regular dude and stick with that story!!

Even where he says he has his real house in a town he should know something about, which he doesn't it really tips things off as suspicious. Do you have a major bay near you or a river? Who is running for Governor? What is the highway there?

This is so typical of a rich person with an obviously bogus story of who they are, or the one driving the Bentley who says, "Oh, I got a great price on it and I am broke". ;)

9. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Nope. I was within the range that obtained a re-read/re-grade. Instead of my scores going up, they went down! Unheard of. The point of the re-read is to see if there are more points in your answers than what were originally given. I needed to go up by like 2%, and instead I went down by 4-5%. I think it is because I was a first time test-taker, and they like to keep their pass rates very low for first-timers.

I think your suspicions are right about your friend.

10. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

A lot of extremely rich people believe that advertising their wealth will only attract people for the wrong reasons. They want to meet people who are interested in them for reasons unconnected with their fabulous wealth.

The richest person I know I first met when he was selling Snap-On tools and affecting a Cockney accent. He is worth over £250m.

11. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

This guy started in construction, then went into development, and then large scale development. He's a very blue collar type of guy who I think made his great fortune on his own and didn't have daddy hand him his wealth.

I kind of like that about the people who make it on their own. Plus, if he said he owns what only the neighbors believe he owns, and says that to any stranger, they would not believe him.

Who thought the World Trade Centers was owned by some old guy named Silverstein? Really, didn't we all think Donald Trump was the biggest and best in New York City? Even low key Mayor Bloomberg is richer than Donald Trump. And he doesn't have a tv show bragging about his wealth. :)