Lazy Weight Loss

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by sporadicMotion, Jan 5, 2009.

1. sporadicMotion macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

http://www.realizeband.com/

This is one of stupidest things I've ever seen. Why is it that good diet and exercise have been eclipsed by surgery to decrease the appetite? I just think society is getting lazy. I used to be quite over weight and I lost mine through proper diet and exercise... I lost 90lbs. I'm not the most motivated human alive and if I could do it, anyone could do it... any thoughts?

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Firstly congratulations on your weight loss. It isn't easy to do nor is it easy to maintain the lost weight :). I've been lucky never to creep up but I have friends and family who have, and watching them go through the pains of weight loss is extraordinary. Well done!

Firstly weight loss is a very important preventative medical intervention. It reduces the incidence of diseases such as cardiovascular disease, respiratory disease, metabolic disease (such as diabetes), musculoskeletal diseases (such as osteoarthritis) and cancer etc. In our society it's one of the most productive health goals - up there with stopping smoking. It's something very positive to strive for.

All to often people play down the obesity problem as something that could be overcome if people just don't eat as much, but in reality society's weight is a complex interaction between socioeconomic factors and an individuals biology. Medically, telling a patient to eat less or exercise more rarely works, nor does putting them though diets or exercise programs. It might work in the short term but it's difficult (read: near impossible) to maintain. It works for some (such as yourself) but for the majority just starting a diet or taking up an exercise plan is completely doomed to failure. Everyone is different and there is no magic bullet that works for everyone (unfortunately) even though it's a field or extraordinary extensive research.

As far as gastric banding goes, it is just one additional intervention that can be done medically to help people lose weight. It is no guarantee that weight will be lost and requires additional lifestyle chances in conjunction i.e. changed diet and increased exercise. It is also not without its side effects or risk free so it's not a decision that shouldn't be taken lightly. In my view surgical interventions should only be available to those that have tried other methods (lifestyle changes) and have failed, or are so morbidly obese that weight loss is an absolute requirement to save their lives. It's not something that should be advertised and pushed by private companies. That's what I find abhorrent - preying on peoples desperation to lose weight. To put it in perspective these surgeries cost tens of thousands of dollars all up.

There is good research that gastric banding works in helping people lose weight, maintain a healthy weight, and decrease their risks of obesity related disease and premature death. This is a positive outcome, and value judgements of it being 'lazy' weight loss aside, the ends of a happy, healthy, disease-free life for some definitely justify the means.

3. sporadicMotion thread starter macrumors 65816

sporadicMotion

Thanks :p I lost it about 4 years ago and haven't looked back.

I just find it boggling that the north american culture (I'm not excusing my Canada from this :p ) has a much higher tendency to reach a point of obesity than other cultures around the world that are at a roughly equal level of development. I blamed my self and no one else for my weight... I used to pull the "big boned" card and really it was a cop out. You seem to be far more knowledgeable in this department than myself. Are you in medicine or a health related industry?

The private companies advertising is es exactly what spurred this on. I saw a commercial for the said link in my first post and it literally made my jaw drop in horror. I've seen commercials for many weight loss gimmicks, schemes and plans but this is the first time I've seen a surgery advertised on television.

I imagine it does have its good uses for those that may have slow acting thyroids and other weight related medical issues... it's just the "mcdonalds 3 times a day" crew that are more on my mind.

4. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

(at above post)

Christ, I can't imagine eating at McDonald's three times a year... :eek:

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Awesome work! It's always motivating to see/hear of other people who have tried an succeeded. 4 years is well above the odds :)!

It is boggling and hence a field of a lot of research. The societal influence on obesity is fascinating. If you've the time give this paper a read through (even just the abstract is interesting). It shows that obesity 'spreads' amongst groups of people - i.e. we kind of take our baseline of acceptable weight of those around us. It's only one study (albeit massive) so it'll be interesting what gets figured out in the future.

In medicine and a researcher but for the sakes of macrumors anonymity I like to not give much away :)! I'm certainly no expert in the field. A gastroenterologist or a more senior doctor would know waaaaay more than I.

Yeah it's not cool. In a way it kind of belittles the surgery and makes it a consumer product. It's not a good way to think about anything medical. Weight loss really should be in partnership with a general practitioner and/or qualified dietician and the decision to undergo surgery a last resort (if a resort at all).

Well it wouldn't work for thyroids (which make up a small proportion of obesity)! Luckily there are other treatments that can correct the underlying thyroid problem relatively easily in most cases. As far as the McDonalds crew, gastric banding most likely won't work for them either - it really requires the surgery in conjunction with a drastic change in diet and exercise. But unfortunately I assume the 'hook' of most adverts do paint gastric banding as an easy way to lose weight without any other effort - which in reality is far from the truth.

6. TSE macrumors 68030

My theory:

If people are lazy enough to depend on medical procedures/meds, they will get the weight back.

Most of those weight loss supplements are EXTREMELY unhealthy, anyways.

7. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

So true.

There is a lady that works with my wife that was really big. She had gastric bypass surgery a couple years ago to loose all the weight. She never changed her diet at all... I'm talking fast food every day for lunch, 5 Cokes a day, etc.

Even if you don't gain the weight back, it's still so unhealthy. You'll end up having heart trouble or diabetes.

8. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I understand the struggle to control one's weight. I had the opposite problem being too thin (143# at 6'3" at my lightest :eek:). It's hard to make the adjustment to be active, but it certainly can be done. I've been steady at between 190-195 (muscle weight) for the last ten years now, which is much more healthy for me. It took me about six years to get to that weight, so I have little sympathy for those who refuse to exercise and eat right. It's very difficult to be motivated to maintain one's weight, but I can't imagine being any other way.

And .Andy- being in shape does not necessarily reduce the risk of osteoarthritis. I've had it in both knees for 6 years, but it does help manage the progression.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

That's my current weight and I'm 6'3 too.

It's bloody difficult putting weight on when you don't like eating unhealthily.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's entirely possible. What do you mean, exactly?

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sumo wrestlers seem to find a way...

12. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Being overweight is a risk factor of osteoarthritis. Other contributing risk factors for OA include injury and genetics. There is no way that you can 100% avoid developing OA, but losing weight is one of the best steps that you can take to reduce your chances of developing it.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Only sumo them.

14. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Do they actually eat unhealthily? Or do they eat relatively healthy foods but just frequent, large volumes? I don't know much about Sumo diets :eek:!

*groan* :D

15. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

IIRC, the diet is pretty healthy, but the caloric intake is enormous.

My understanding is that many sumo wrestlers return to a fairly normal weight once they leave the "stable".

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

My favoured food types are low in carbs/calories, I don't like excessive quantities of fat, I don't like sweet things, I'm a vegetarian and my appetite is fairly low in general.

I've put on weight before and I've had to force myself to eat tons of food, I just found it too hard to be worth the effort.

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Vegetarian diets have to be carefully managed to be healthy, especially for athletic weight gain, but it certainly can be done to an extent. I don't like fatty food or sweets either, but I'm a meat eater. I don't think I could do what I do physically and not eat animal protein.

18. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I thought you were trying to keep this clean! :eek:

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You are terrible. Although I guess I should expect it. ;)

20. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

The realize band is for ppl who have a hard time losing weight and for the morbidly obese.

21. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

I'm too thin at 6'2" in terms of muscle mass (very thin build), but I've got a mini beer-belly from piling on the calories. Do I try to lose or gain weight? :confused:

Some tell me to do less cardio, and eat more to beef up. Others say to eat less and do more aerobic exercise, to burn the fat. I'm 18, probably still growing. General lack of exercise is what screwed it all up, but I'm British, I'm allowed to be lazy.

22. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hey, you've gotta get your mind out of the gutter. At least long enough to let mine float by... :p

23. Berlepsch macrumors 6502

Berlepsch

Took me less than a day to figure that one out. I'm proud of myself! :D

On a related note - a couple of years ago, I saw a couple of young sumo wrestlers (wearing kimonos and all) in Tokio entering a McDonald store. And they didn't look like they wanted to push burgers off the plate...