LCD MONITOR compatible with iMac G5 i 17 ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jazzd, May 14, 2012.

1. jazzd macrumors newbie

Hi all, i have a G5 imac, and the screen is near useless as its full of white lines.
    I bought a mini dvi- VGA in which i sucessfully hooked it up to my 42" plasma TV.
    Please note, this was just to test if it worked!
    So the really important question i need an answer to guys is the following:
    Exactly what type of LCD monitor should i now get?, what resolution/ screen size etc etc..
    I do a lot of eork with pics and video, so i need the image razor sharp, or pretty much same as the imac..

The other thing is about the audio.
    Because using the DVi gives me mirror image, this is fine, i can work with that, but i need an easy option to give me audio also on the said monitor,

Thanx in advance guys, please give me the specifics regarding the correct LCD monitor, as i wanna hunt 1 down asap : )

2. simsaladimbamba

Since you are limited to the MIRROR DISPLAYS option as you said, you can only buy displays with 1440 x 900 pixel, and I don't know any. 1920 x 1200 would be different, as you could get any 24" display with that resolution and almost any port (DVI or VGA).
    Transferring audio from your iMac to the new display would be quite easy, if the new display supports audio in via 3.5 mm plugs, thus you only need a 3.5 mm male-male cable.

3. jazzd thread starter macrumors newbie

thanx for the reply! , so i apoligize in advance for my lack of knowledge on this subject, but i assume you mean i can go up to a 24" lcd monitor right?, and that the resolution you stated would be adequate? again ,crisp image is what i need, as i almost threw the imac in the trash last week!, i suppose i can salvage it using an adequate monitor, until i can get a new mac..
    I have too many programs that i need and use to just leave it idle right now.. ( the white lines problem seems to be pretty common on these) and to change the screen is costly here ( im based in Brazil..)

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

When you have the external hooked up you could at least open the case and disconnect the internal display so you don't have to be limited by mirroring displays. Nor eat up anymore of the GPU than necessary.

5. jazzd thread starter macrumors newbie

Sure, that was going to be my next question!, is there any links in specific that can explain how i disconnect it myself? thanx

6. MacStu09 macrumors regular

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/iMac_G5