LCD Monitor vs LCD TV: What buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mamcx, Jun 29, 2009.

1. mamcx macrumors regular

Ok,

I plan to buy a larger LCD (first time, my actual monitor is only 22") and wonder what could be a smart investment.

I'm a developer, and barely play games but I see almost all the movies in my computer. I have a macbook white previous gen and maybe I will buy a brand new mac mini.

So, I check the prices & specs of some Dell 24"> monitors and some Sony Bra TV LCD 24"> monitors and found that a LCD 30" cost almost the same than a Dell 24" monitor.

So, I wonder why?

Any reason to chosee one or the other?

2. fpar macrumors regular

If you intend to do more text based work on the TV then video then I would go with the monitor because of the higher pixel density, the 30" LCD will not provide as sharp a picture as a 24"monitor, this will be most apparent when reading.

3. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

I used my 26'' TV for awhile before I got my 22'' Dell monitor. With the TV at 1366x768 and the Dell at 1680x1050, there is a HUGE difference. Get a monitor and then a smaller, say 26'', TV.

4. Unprocessed1 macrumors 65816

Unprocessed1

A TV will have lower resolution, but still high resolution. A tv is good if you need the hdmi ports and utility as a television (will also be cheaper too). I personally dont like very high resolutions because text is extremely small. Sometimes size is more important than crispness/sharpness. It's all about you r own personal preferences.

5. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

TVs usually have less PPI because people look at it from a long distance. Monitors have a high PPI because people look at it from a short distance. I'd choose a monitor. Don't mix two things into one.

6. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I'm in the same sort of situation. I have a BlackBook, a 22" Acer monitor, and want a better setup for watching movies. I think a good compromise might be Dell's Ultrasharp 2709W. It's got the same resolution as a typical 24" monitor, but slightly more physical space. You lose some crispness, but not a lot, and it's a reasonable size for movies. The price is a bit steep T $999, but they've gone on sale for $500 in the past, so if you're patient, you can get a deal on one. :)

Of course, a 32" LCD TV is awfully tempting. You might try taking your notebook to BestBuy or wherever and plugging it into a TV there. Put up some text and see if you can live with the TV as a monitor - it's not as good as a proper monitor, but it's not terrible on a 32", either.

7. Freewayjim macrumors regular

Freewayjim

My Samsung T260HD has the best of both worlds.

Beautiful 1920x1200 resolution on a 25.5" screen for my MBP (DVI Port) and it can run a PS3/XBOX360 (2 HDMI Ports) as well as HD TV just fine (Built In HD Tuner or via HDMI), they can be had for well under $500.

http://www.google.com/products/cata..._catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=4#ps-sellers

(Notice all the five-star reviews)

I've had mine since last August and love it! it was the best value dollar for dollar/feature for feature out there IMO.