Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cb911

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
i remember reading somewhere that if you leave a LCD screen on for too long it will affect the brightness of the screen. also, under the screen saver control panel in OS X it says to use energy saver to prolong the length of your display. of course, LCD screens will fade/wear over time, but is there any real benefit to using energy saver? under normal use, (and what do Apple consider normal use for the TiBooks?) how long will a LCD display last before it needs replaceing?
should i be worried about prolonging the life of my display?

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
I think the main benfit of dimming / screen sleep is that you are saving atleast some power and not adding to human / world problems.

Screen sleep will help save your screen, I am not sure why but I was told that by a guy from Samsug quite awhile ago.

Ensign

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Screen savers and dimming the screen do more for CRT's then LCD's. Using a simple screen modulating module/screen saver will effectively do the same on a LCD as the energy saver function does on a CRT.

I only use a screen saver module if I must leave my TiBook on for an extended period of time and the image is not refreshing at all. With display technology advancing as fast as it is, I would wager to say that fairly soon, any/all screen savers will be for the viewers benefits, not for extending the life of the display.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
LCD Backlight

Originally posted by bunge
There is a bulb that powers an LCD screen and it can burn out.

There is a light (flourecent, it appears...) that illuminates the screen (backlight), but it isn't likely that it will burn out for a LONG time, even with daily use. I know of people who use PowerBook 100's for word processing every day and they have yet to have a backlight go out.

Even though they have a realtively long life, they will, over time become dimmer. This would be a reason to have the display sleep during periods of inactivity, but I don't believe dimming the backlight would do anything more than increase battery time on a PowerBook or decrease you electric bill on a desktop (very very slightly)... :cool:

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
does the backlit goes often, because I don't want my imac to fizzle out

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by mac15
does the backlit goes often, because I don't want my imac to fizzle out

I have yet to hear of the bulb in a LCD blowing out. One way to have peace of mind, get the Applecare protection plan. That way it is covered for a total of three years. By the time the Applecare runs out, the chances are even a major repair will only be a few hundred dollars (right now to replace the LCD in a laptop is in the $1000 range).

bunge

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2001
I didn't mean to cause any alarm, because I agree that it is rare. I just wanted to make sure you knew of the possibility.

Personally, I hate that I can't turn off my iMac LCD screen for this very reason, I have to wait 5 minutes for the Energy Saver to kick in. The problem is, sometimes walking past the machine wakes it up and then it's another 5 minutes....

I run FTP, Web, Seti, SSH & Further on my machine at various times, but I'm not always here so I don't need the screen on all the time....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.