LDS and Utah and Fun!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by JennaLDS, Sep 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JennaLDS macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

So I am moving to Orem, Utah in January. I am wondering if there is anyone on here that is LDS and lives in the area (around Provo/Orem up to SLC) and knows of things to do. (Clean fun) Or if you are LDS, come and say HI! :)

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would certainly come visit if you hook me up with one of your cute missionary guys! :)

3. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

Um. Im slightly confused by this lol... guys? Oh and our missionaries are adorable.. :)

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes, they're really cute. All of us gay boys love it when they come to Chicago. :) What in the world do you feed them? :D

BTW- not trying to be offensive.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Are you sure you're in the right forum section? This is where we discuss political, religious and social issues in a very frank manner. Perhaps this is more of a Community Discussion topic.

Otherwise you get asshats like me asking...

Why do Mormons send young men as missionaries? I can't think of a segment of the population less spiritually developed than men in their late teens or early twenties. Sure they may be adorable, but how is it that they are the best ambassadors to send around the world teaching people about your faith? It can't just be because they can ride bikes all day and not get tired.

Can it?

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Oh please, you never have to try. :p

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

LDS, Utah, and fun typically do not belong in the same sentence.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Not without the words "secret hash cookies."

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I think the most interesting thing about Utah is the Moab desert. Very pretty.

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I guess when you have some of the strictest alcohol laws outside of Saudi Arabia you need stuff like that to get people to visit :p

11. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Utah has some fantastic skiing, too (Solitude, Alta...)

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Too late, they've chased her away.

I admittedly am curious how JennaLDS ended up posting here, though. How do you get to be a 6502 at MacRumors and not know how hostile the PRSI forums are to openly religious folk? :confused:

13. Shivetya macrumors 65816

well, in particular certain first responders are.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I wasn't trying to be hostile though. I've joked with other LDS folk here about their cute missionaries. It's just an observation and compliment, not meant to be nasty at all.

15. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

For what it's worth, yours were not the post(s) I was referring to re: chasing her away.

16. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Utah's drinking laws aren't really that bad anymore. No more of that private club sillyness, etc. I really enjoy SLC and the Park City area, and have never been pressured by any of the LDS there. In fact, they're typically very polite.

Personally, I think Lee needs to make a trip there. :)

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

You could find yourself pulling at some tender scar tissue, though. The LDS religion is avidly anti-homosexual: we have seen what that means for Republicans and Catholics.

18. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Lee wasn't being hostile. At the worst, he was being mildly inconsiderate. Besides, this is the internet. A gay man who has an affection for Mormon missionaries is the least of her worries.

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I suppose.

20. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

No offense taken. ;) ...as far as food goes, because they are on the go all the time, walking, riding bikes, or driving, they are always hungry hahaha they are like bottomless pits!!! So no telling what is in their diets hahaha

Well actually.. I am a convert to the church. I have never in my life met people more dedicated and educated in teaching the words of the lord. It is amazing the spiritual strength that the missionaries have (Women and Men). The two that taught me were ages 26 and 24. Not all are 19, and women do not go until they are 21 or older. I am hoping to go on a mission myself. They do not ride bikes all the time, but the majority are very fit. They workout every other day if not every day. They are amazing. They give up two years of their lives to serve for the lord. I am a ward missionary so I am with the missionaries quite a bit, and I have saw first hand what they go through on a daily basis. Lessons back to back, tracting to help people gain a testimony of Jesus Christ while getting doors slammed in their faces, people lying to them, but yet they are happy to go out and still talk to people. They are absolutely amazing!!

I didn't think to post in community, I guess I was thinking religion.

When you are LDS, there are tons of things to do. More clean fun is available around there.

I don't know how to respond to that.. lol

Well just like all of the atheists that post things, I didn't think it would be a problem. I have never posted in the religious section before anyway.

I have friends that are gay, that have said things like that to me before. So it's nothing new to me. I mean until someone starts talking sexual things about them or bashes the church, I can handle most of anything lol. But you would be shocked to the things I have heard and saw before. I don't let things bother me.

I live in a DRY COUNTY now, so Utah isn't going to be a whole lot different other than there are so many LDS there, which is exciting. :) And as far as how polite Mormons are, we are pretty nice people lol. Most people judge before they talk to us, and so half of the time their assumption on our attitude is incorrect. Most will not pressure anyone, because we believe that truth and knowledge of the gospel will come in the lord's own time. He has a set time for everyone- whether while on earth or after death.

ALSO: If this thread is more appropriate for the Community section, could I get a Moderator to move it?

21. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Recent convert from what religion?

We have invited LDS missionaries into our home, in fact we offer them a place to come without the pressures of missionary work. It's an open invitation. They can come, relax, eat, and then go on with their mission. That being said, I think the reason the young are sent out is because they are young, and believe so strongly. They haven't had a chance to form their own doubts, compare their religion to others, or assess their own religion critically.

Questions for anyone and everyone. Is LDS a Christian religion? Is it a subset of Christianity? Is it a cult? Is it a separate religion? Is it even a monotheistic religion? Has science proven or disproven any of the LDS claims? If so (or if not) does that mean anything?

22. JennaLDS thread starter macrumors 6502

JennaLDS

I was raised Baptist.

I am sure the Elders or Sisters really appreciate your kindness. :) Yes we are Christians. "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins." (2 Nephi 25:26) Christian is the name given to people who join Christs church, and we are the Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter Day Saints- meaning the Saints in the latter days of this world. Cult is short for Culture. Culture is a way of living. In saying that, every religion is a cult, even atheism which is the absence of religion. Living without it is a way of life, a culture. Science has proven many things or "claims" of the Church and the Book of Mormon. I would have to which ones up, but I would be happy to if you would like.

Actually a lot have compared their religions, just as the missionaries that taught me were older than most, they did not gain a strong testimony until their mission, which is when they helped and saw first hand the holy ghost work in people, and see peoples lives changed because of the gospel. Before my conversion, I knew that Christ loved me, I knew because that is what I had been taught, but I developed such a strong relationship with my savior and my heavenly father that I feel every day in my heart. My life revolves around him completely. 3 of the missionaries that I know that have recently gone off their missions have said that it was the best two years of their entire lives, one of the missionaries that taught me actually asked for an extension for his mission for another 6 weeks.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

All religions are ;)

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

From a Christian standpoint, Mormonism is a cult. They do believe in Jesus Christ, however, he is not the only way the truth and the light to them. They believe that Joseph Smith was sent golden tablets, by the angel Moroni which had additions to the bible (which is a red flag since the bible says it is God's word and nothing can be added or taken away), they believe that Jesus and Satan were brothers who gave God an idea of how to treat humans (satan was against free will, Jesus was for it) and Jesus won out (this is against the Bible saying that Lucifer/Satan was an angel who went against the Lord and therefore was punished to eternal damnation along with 1/3 of the angels (his followers).

They believe that the leader of the church is the governing word, not the Lord himself.

Truth of the matter is, in short, Joseph Smith was a snake oil salesman who most likely had a trip vision out in the woods, came back and converted people and tried to find a place where people wouldn't call his cult idiotic and kill them all. That is why they (future mormons, J.S. was murdered) went to Utah after repeatedly getting kicked out of Missouri and surrounding areas.

Also they are not monotheist. They believe that they reach (well for men) a certain point in living a good life that they get their own world to govern and have many wives for it.

25. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Zing! lol

Concerning LDS and Christianity, they are not the same and the mainstream branch considers LDS a cult by comparison

Here is one website that outlines the differences
    http://www.religionfacts.com/mormonism/comparison.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.