LDS Church Invites Gay Leaders to Christmas Concert

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 23, 2010.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I give credit where it's due. This is, quite frankly, shocking and promising. It's at least a move in the right direction.

http://www.advocate.com/News/Daily_...rch_Invites_Gay_Leaders_to_Christmas_Concert/

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Haha! Right? Still, this is good to see.

4. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

This isn't the first time they've reached out to the community in some capacity. They also recently worked on their behalf for anti-discrimination in housing. But they also draw a clear divide between activities like this, and what it means to be gay in the religion (i.e. it being an abomination, and a choice or a phase, which people can overcome), and they will continue to spend fountains of money fighting to oppose gay marriage.

Not trying to bash them. But they need to be called out on that one.

5. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

It's a trap!

6. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- I'm under no illusions, believe me. But when they do something good, it deserves to be pointed out as well.

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

...with the appropriate caveats.

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

But of course. ;)

9. Xian Zhu Xuande macrumors 6502a

Xian Zhu Xuande

^ Yup.

The good is news, and deserves attention, but the bad needs to be highlighted too. Helps to combat organizations which play down bad PR by washing someone's back while they secretly look for the best place to slip the knife in.

10. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Isn't this the same church that poured a whole bunch of money into campaigning for prop 8?

11. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

It sure is, which makes this move surprising. Let's hope they continue in this direction. We'll still have to keep an eye on them and keep pressure on.

12. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. :rolleyes:

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It is a measure of the enormity of the divide when sharing a room together constitutes "progress". Even the Koreas have managed that on occasion, and they are technically at war.

I was in Salt Lake City last year, and strolled through the LDS museum/indoctrination center at the temple. It's pretty bizarre.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

It is obvious that you passed on the Kool-Aid, for you are still among us.

15. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

I'm no fan of the Mormons or any other religion for that matter, but they are pragmatic. It wasn't until the 70s that they allowed blacks to become members, women are slowly progressing upward and they've had phenomenal success in Latin and South America. Because whether they like it or not, their future success lies outside America's borders.

I've been to Salt Lake City 4 times now doing research at the Family History Library. Like it or not, the Mormons are the major organization for genealogy. It's a big place, staffed mostly by volunteers and entirely free. The only overt display of religion in the entire library, are small printed bible verses near the elevators. Even here at the local Mormon church's library where I occasionally do research, there's absolutely no mention of "conversion" or overt displays of religion.

The Mormons have been playing catch up ever since they realized that isolating themselves in the desert probably wasn't going to do them any good. Like any church their traditions means change is slow but change they will if their past is any indicator.

16. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Like any good business one takes moves to gain more "customers". Going from a white male only church to women and blacks and then the latin community, gays are the next step in their money making campaign.

17. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

18. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Don't get me wrong, I am suspicious

19. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

They're definitely not going to be performing gay marriages in the Temple next year but the church isn't stupid. They took a lot of heat and rightly so, for intervening in the Prop 8 campaign in California. 8 will probably be overturned and the Mormons will have gotten a black eye for nothing. This is a tactical move. Remember, the Mormon church is a massive business. They rake in ~10% from members, much of their outreach is financed by members themselves, not the mothership, and the church owns a lot of Salt Lake City and has enormous business interests. They're not ignorant tea baggers.

Gay rights has ceased to be a rallying cry in the US. For all intents an purposes, the fight is over and they know it.

20. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

We've got to be able to get some kind of reading on that shield, up or down.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

'nuff said

[​IMG]

After their PR stunt to get Prop 8 passed not much I think about them.

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Male pattern baldness?? :(

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Nooo.... huge eye ball disease. ;)

24. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I don't understand why it's so surprising, but it's a nice move, just the same.

Opposing same-sex marriage is not the same as hating gay people for being gay.

Christmas is a time when Christians are encouraged to reach out to people and show love, compassion, and charity for each other. Sounds like that's what the church is doing. And yes, it's a good thing, but not so surprising.