League of Legend (LOL) is finally on Mac, But

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kensic, Mar 2, 2013.

1. kensic macrumors 6502

so finally LOL is finally on Mac, so i don't need to install windows anymore.

but should i use the hd4000 or gt 650m when i play.

When i play games i like to set video settings to almost the lowest. because for some reason high definition setting kinda makes it harder for me to see.

so hd4000 or gt 650m all play well on my settings.

but im assuming i should use 650m to play because it would be less stressful on the hardware vs using hd4000 to work the same task.

what do you guys think? and i always have it plugged in when i play. so battery life isn't my concern.

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

3. kensic thread starter macrumors 6502

nope not if u use gfxcardstatus and set it hd4000 before you open the game. then the game will use hd4000

4. goMac macrumors 603

I think he meant you should use the 650m for all games.

5. kensic thread starter macrumors 6502

oh lol my bad. yea i would agree also. it seems like my laptop doesn't get as hot when using the 650m

6. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

How is it, I still use windows 8 for league but is it better on osx?
    can you alt tab (minamize?) its my main concern

7. kensic thread starter macrumors 6502

yup if you're using a windows keyboard its "windows key +tab" to go switch between tabs *like going to the desktop and such*

the game in general pretty smooth, no difference than pc version. just a windows mouse. and you're set.

i was going to install boot camp windows 8 just for league of legend, now i dont have to :)

8. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

My League has smoother framerate when I'm playing it through VMware, though the fan is definitely quieter when I play through OS X. It's odd.

Borderless windows work. I get two screens and locked League to my second screen. I can swipe back and forth between screens that way.

9. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

I honestly think the HD4000 should be enough to run the game... it dosen't look that intensive to the point that the 650m should kick in.

10. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

so command tab. LOL

11. MacKid macrumors 6502

It uses the 650M.

12. theuserjohnny macrumors 6502

Oh wow well thats a surprise. I mean I don't game (my brother dose) and based on me watching him I honestly thought the 4000 would be good enough to run something like that.

13. MacKid macrumors 6502

Walking around with one character in the middle of open terrain is pretty basic, but teamfights are pretty visually messy. With all settings maxed, it's not playable at the Retina's full 2880 during big fights, so I dial it down to 1920x1200 on Windows. I've found framerates to be more stable under the new Mac client, though.

14. kensic thread starter macrumors 6502

yea i have the non-retina version so im just using the native res (1440x900) and set evyerhing to very low settings.

and hd4000 can totally handle it....but i find that when using 650m the laptop runs abit cooler.

it only makes sense...because the 650m would handle it like child's play. vs hd4000 would probably take a bit of an effort.

15. joshhedge macrumors regular

Playing LOL at 2880*1800 at max settings for 30fps (I believe it's limited through Vsync to that as at lower settings it still runs at 30). Looks really good and the laptop doesn't even seem to get that hot.

16. MacKid macrumors 6502

I haven't tried it on the Mac client, but in Windows at max settings and resolution, you'll dip to like 19-22 FPS during teamfights. Very hard to aim skillshots with the graphics going back up to speed and crawling down again every few seconds in a chaotic fight.

17. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

Are you looking at the actual sensor temperatures, or going based on how the laptop feels? Having the discrete graphics card active and idling increases the system's temperature. I would expect that the system would run cooler with the HD4000 not due to the workload, but because of the differences in heat-generating components.

Either way I would use the 650m. You have a computer with a discrete graphics chip, so make use of it and don't worry about whether the system is going to struggle in certain scenarios.

18. kensic thread starter macrumors 6502

just from feeling the bottom of the laptop. could you recommend a good free app to monitor temperatures. it would be nice to see actual numbers between the two. thanks

19. joshhedge macrumors regular

No idea why you have that issue, even in 5v5s I suffer no drop of frame rates. Very playable at max settings and resolution on the native client for me. I have the 2.6GHz/16GB combination if that would have any effect on this.

20. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

iStat Pro (a widget, no longer supported) is the only free thing that I can think of that monitors temperatures. iStat Menus is the paid-for version, actively supported, not a widget. There are likely others out there, but I don't know of them.

It's a different machine, but I'll tell you that when my system is idling with the Intel HD3000 my temperatures are usually in the upper 40˚C's. When I activate my Radeon HD 6750M then the temperatures climb approximately 20˚C even at idle. I wouldn't be surprised if the nVidia 650m causes a bit less of a heat spike, but I'd be very surprised if the system were cooler with it running.

21. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

Temperature Monitor. My G5 is at 180 Degrees f right now.

22. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

~82˚C, at idle? You should come over to the Intel side already :) My MacBook Pro doesn't hit the 80's unless I'm encoding.

23. Danmoore03 macrumors newbie

I'm so glad this finally hit mac. I used to be a pretty hardcore PC gamer, but now that i have a kid i don't find much time to play rather then a couple LoL matches in a row. One problem though, with my 15" rMBP, i find my top of the line pc that i built an eye sore lol. First retina macbook here and the screen is awesome, i fired up a game of LoL just for comparison, the retina display at close to 1980x1200 with high settings caps at 60fps and looks amazing. I'm not sure i'll be able to go back to windows. I might just have to sell that off and get a iMac with a 680mx lol.

Anyways, my LoL id is Dmoore03. Send me a request if you want to play.

24. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

Could not find your summoner name brother. Are you in the NA?

25. Danmoore03 macrumors newbie

Yes NA. Try Drastk