Least Religious Countries

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by it5five, Aug 24, 2007.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

http://www.gadling.com/2007/08/23/least-religious-countries/

I posted this largely for the last paragraph:

I think that is something that has been obvious to some of us for a while, but I wanted to see what other people thought about this.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

ah crap, how can we (UK) not be in there?? I don't know anyone who is religious, much less goes to church!

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

True… but you forget the large part of the UK that goes to mosques, temples, synagogues… pretty religious.
    White "Christian-background" Britain is certainly less religious, yes, but I don't think it applies to all.

Unless everyone's lying. Just like everybody rushes off to a church to get married when they have never set foot in one before. :rolleyes:

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Don't get me started. The same ones that christen their children, though they and their spawn will never enter a church again...at least until their own farce of a wedding day :rolleyes:

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

For the record, agnostic does not equal atheist. I flirt with agnosticism myself on occasion, but atheism is a whole nother ball game. Plus I think for some reason people automatically equate "God" with the Judeo-Christian one.

On topic, this may be because atheism is about living in this world and religion can often focus too much on the next, and is all too often easily corrupted to hurt those it should be helping.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

The hypocrisy seems to by pass them completely. :D Maybe they just do it so they can appear on ITV trash TV…

7. takao macrumors 68040

takao

last time i checked it wasn't mandatory to go to church
    if they only want to go there for such occasions like weddings, births or funerals they are fine with me

8. bartelby macrumors Core

No, but why get married "in the eyes of god" if you don't believe in god?

It seems to me people like that put more importance on the event than the actually marriage. If marriage is the important thing then a Register Office will do fine.

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Churches are pretty. Registry Offices, usually not so much.

10. Queso macrumors G4

An hotel then. You can have a civil marriage ceremony anywhere you can obtain a license to perform it.

Besides, I'm having my wedding at Marylebone Registry Office, which is just as nice as most of the churches in London.

11. juanm macrumors 65816

In Spain you'll often find that non-religious people would get merried in a church because of the family (our parents or grandparents generation lived in a religious dictatorship, after all for almost forty years...
    However, amongst my Spanish close friends, I' can hardly think of anyone who believes in god. Again, I choose my friends carefully :p.
    In France, my friends come almost all from a middle but well educated class (teachers, doctors, engineers...), and are often in engineering schools (not the right environment to start thinking of supernatural phenomenons). My girlfriend, her parents and her grand parents are firm atheists (although they'd qualify as upper midlle class). I chose her VERY carefully (nah, who am I kidding, she chose me, although I still don't know why)
    Back to the question, to get married by the church, you need to be, at least officially, christian. As a good example, an acquaintance of mine is getting married next year, and her girlfriend has asked him to get baptized... :rolleyes:. And she also made him get a mortgage until 2035... Way to start a couple life. Instead of rings, they should use handcuffs, it'd be more appropriate.

12. Queso macrumors G4

I find this too. I don't actually know anyone in Spain that attends Church, although I do live in that heathen vice pit Sitges :p

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

depends on country: in austria you ONLY can marry at a registry office for the law, there are no "licenses" (since more than 100 years) ... most marry in church additionally
    first the bureaucracy with few people attaining, then later the same day the marriage in church for the ceremony

it in our town the office is 5x5 meters and not really compareable to the churches (of which there is so much selection in every imaginable size)

and i find the idea of marriage in a hotel quite obscure (if you look at the hotels here and the churches i think you would want to take the church too)

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know a lot of religious folk. Caroline and her family are practising Catholics, so are the neighbours and a few members of my family (one's some kind of vicar/priest bloke, I don't know the details suffice to say. Also a head teacher at some grammar school earning him the title "Preacher Teacher man" in the local papers).

I'm not religious myself though. A completely rough guess puts religious and non-religious folk at 80/20 for me.

15. bartelby macrumors Core

So?
    What's more important, getting married to someone or pretty pictures?

16. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

It depends on how you are interpreting the data. If you read the original report the author comes to a somewhat different conclusion than you might think.

17. juanm macrumors 65816

Although I get the OP's point, I don't think that one is the consequence of the other. I'd simply say that the higher the education levels, the higher he atheism rates (seems logical to me, might not to somebody who believes in god) AND the lower the crimer rates and health problems. Indirectly, they are related, but not in a cause and consequence relation.

Dynamic, you really live in the south-of-BCN-Sitges? I'd have never guessed... :p

18. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Pretty pictures! :D

19. bartelby macrumors Core

So it seems:D

20. calculus Guest

calculus

It certainly is a dissappointment

21. Queso macrumors G4

Between there and London. As Fred Phelps would put it, I flit between Sodom and Gomorrah :D

22. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Getting married, I'd hope. But why not have both?

I think tradition is more of an issue though for the non-religious having church weddings than the backdrop, though. Although I still think a lot of people go for church weddings only for the aesthetic.

23. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

The comments at the bottomo of the page the OP cites are too funny!

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Try asking the woman you're marrying that question and see what happens. ;)

25. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles