Leather smart cover £55 and pay weekly (UK)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by vaughany18, Mar 13, 2012.

1. vaughany18 macrumors member

i just got myself a leather smart cover off www.littlewoods.com for £55 because they are offering £20 off any order over £50 and you obviously pay it weekly if you like.
    added bonus to soften the blow of the leather smart cover prices.

the discount code is: 27GZV

2. cr-z macrumors newbie

Why are they charging a premium over the smart covers from Apple? Even if they do end up cheaper, the "Black" smart cover ships in 4 weeks the website says.

3. vaughany18 thread starter macrumors member

i think they charge a premium on everything while offering the pay weekly service.
    its crap i no but i saved myself £4 which isn't much but i now can pay for the cover over 20 weeks. i never would have brought a leather smart cover normally because after bills and crap i rarely have £59 left over.:D

4. Cutterschoice macrumors member

5. vaughany18 thread starter macrumors member

6. cr-z macrumors newbie

WOW! I would buy, but I paid £5.99 for a full case for the "new iPad" from Amazon that works with sleep mode.

The reason that I didn't purchase a smart cover was because I heard complaints about marks being left on the screen, and also scratching of the aluminium casing.

7. tpr007 macrumors regular

tpr007

I bought a Smart cover (not leather) in-store at Dixons for £25.

I wouldn't pay more than that. I want a Red leather one, but the prices by apple are obscene.

8. htg macrumors regular

I managed to get a like new polyurethane smart cover in its original box off eBay for £19 including shipping. Pretty happy.

9. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Amazon have some Apple originals for a tenner... grey, orange and green I think.

10. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

will the ipad two covers work with ipad 3? I keep seeing articles about a redesign for new iPad 3

11. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Yes, they'll work fine.

I go to eBay for my smart covers. Chinese knock offs, work perfectly well, sleep/wake etc. There's just no way I'd consider giving Apple £40 for a dust cover.

12. Lukeyy19, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

aaaaw man, i bought the black leather one on amazon for £43, because i didn't realise it was coming from the USA, so now I'm going to be waiting ages for it, and i could of got it in the UK for cheaper with an Argos warranty!, Bah!

I know where i'll be going if this one turns out to be a knockoff being passed off as an official one

13. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

Pay weekly? On a smart cover?!

If you need to pay weekly for a Smart Cover, you shouldn't be buying it... and you probably shouldn't have bought that iPad either. :eek: LOL :)

14. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

that's what i was thinking too...

15. vaughany18 thread starter macrumors member

i get paid monthly and spent the rest of my salary after my bills on my ipad and wanted a smart cover form day one. so was a good short term option till i got paid;)

16. dromi macrumors member

17. driftwoodtea macrumors member

I managed to get a genuine black leather Smart Cover off the bay for a best offer of £32.99 inc P&P last week. The guy had 12. Was going to post a link but they've now all sold.

I think last week people were desperately trying to sell off iPad 2 stuff for fear of it not working on the new iPad and being left with lots of stock. Am guessing that's how I managed to get one so cheap. Am happy my gamble paid off!

18. mr.suff macrumors regular

mr.suff

I bought the Orange one, these are most definitely not Apple official covers. I've filed a claim with Amazon about all of the cheap Smart Covers that are listed as Apple ones.

The quality is reasonable, but they will not last. The magnets seem much weaker as well.

19. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

20. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Even the ones fulfilled by Amazon? I just ordered one for just over a tenner. Listed with the Apple model number and fulfilled by Amazon.

I'll be filing a claim too if it's a rip-off!

21. dromi macrumors member

if it's too good to be true...

22. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Agreed but this being fulfilled by Amazon made me think it might be genuine.

It's not like there aren't ever random bargains on Amazon.

23. Jontif macrumors regular

Jontif

There are loads of unofficial iPad items on amazon and sellers can sel direct on there too. You just have to be careful. Anything too cheap is generally for a reason although I've just taken the plunge and bought the Argos leather smart cover as that seems to be a very good deal and with 12 months apple warranty.

24. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

You're probably right but I've had stupid priced stuff from Amazon in the past that have been genuine. Had a Sony SLR lens for less than a third of the price and it's genuine.

Guess we'll see. Nothing lost with Amazon thankfully.

25. sartios macrumors member

Same here, they make enough money out of me on other stuff as it is, I got a black poly one just the same as a Apple one for £9, sleep wake etc.