Leave AT&T for Verizon?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcdonoughdr, Sep 4, 2012.

1. mcdonoughdr macrumors member

So right now, I have an iPhone 4S with AT&T and unlimited data :)
    But I am up for an upgrade and my contract is up, I am thinking about heading to Verizon for 4G LTE with the 4GB plan, right now I use about 3.2-3.3 gb of data a month so I really dont care if I lose unlimited data! Should I stay with AT&T or go to Verizon?

2. troop231 macrumors 603

Go with Verizon if they have good coverage in your area.

I will be paying my AT&T ETF and going to Verizon as well. :)

3. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

I'm going over to verizon when I get the chance

4. mcdonoughdr thread starter macrumors member

Yep, Verizon has great coverage here!

5. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

If you don't need unlimited data, go for the carrier with the best service for the cheapest price in your area ...

6. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

From a customer standpoint, its the lesser of the two evils. Carriers suck.

7. troop231 macrumors 603

You got that right! Still waiting for the day when Apple will build their own wireless network like Steve's dream. (They have the money to do it)

8. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

But not the spectrum :(

9. kannesss macrumors 6502a

I switched to verizon after att. It made life easier for sure.

10. troop231 macrumors 603

Could Apple build their own alternative? Steve was talking about using WiFi, but I'm not sure if that's practical.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nope, its not as simple.

12. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yeah not sure thats practical. In 2007 Apple might have had a fighting chance, but there's no way the big boys (AT&T and Verizon) would sell Apple spectrum space.

13. McBeats macrumors 6502a

I'd like to leave ATT for verizon, however the price to pay monthly is rediculous enough for me to deal with lousy ATT service.... unless someone knows how to get around the unlimited shared plans?

14. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

Verizon has significantly better coverage from what I've seen, but the price difference and failure to provide simultaneous voice/data is a (having one of those crazy brain lock-ups and can't think of the phrase this mom---AHH, deal breaker) for me. :apple:

15. CoriG macrumors 6502

I am in the same boat as you, but I use even less data - more along the lines of 1.8-2gb of data a month. PLUS I will be able to tether my ipad and do facetime.

I am almost tempted to pay the $250 and get the At&t phone and try it out in LA for 2 -3 weeks and then return it if the service does indeed continue to suck and get the verizone iphone 5. I am hoping by then, the craziness would die down and I could exchange it for a different carrier.

16. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

LTE does voice and data simultaneously.

17. bogatyr macrumors 65816

3G as well - with phones that support SVDO. This hasn't been a Verizon network limitation for some time now (since back around the Thunderbolt release - which supports SVDO on 3G).
    http://www.cdg.org/technology/svdo.asp

18. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Right, but for all intents and purposes, the iPhone does not support SVDO.

19. pdutta2000 macrumors regular

what are people's experience with an iPhone on Verizon and cell coverage? This is compared to a blackberry or android phone. I had a work blackberry a few years ago that was on Verizon and it was rock solid on the cell signal. Never dropped a call and always had a solid sound even if I had 1 bar. Is the iPhone as solid? I don't care about data download...really just making calls which is really hard on AT&T right now.

20. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I've had a Verizon iPhone since launch and i've traveled all up and down the east coast. The only time I ever dropped a call was in WV. Verizon is solid for voice, AT&T has faster data (3G). Verizon LET is faster than AT&T 4G.

21. wjereb macrumors member

I on the other hand have had AT&T for years and plan to stay with them. I don't have any problems and we have 5 lines (2 iPhones and soon to be 4) and the Sierra Wireless MiFi.

Bill

22. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

23. tgporter macrumors newbie

Porting old phone numbers between carriers

Related question...I plan on switching to Verizon from AT&T at launch, but I am wondering if anyone knows if porting over your old number during preorder is possible? I would like to keep my number when switching, but also want to upgrade ASAP. Thanks

24. John Adams macrumors regular

I went from AT&T to Verizon and the difference was day and night, worlds better. Not one dropped call in a year.... Unless I was talking to someone on AT&T. Lol.