Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
I ordered a 2.2 MBP, and it should be here by the end of the week. I am a student, and I really want to bring it to class. However, after my classes, I have to go to work. I don't want to bring my MBP into work for risk of breaking it, or it getting stolen. I have no use for it at work. The only thing I can do, is bring it to class, drive to work, and leave it in the car. But I am at work in the afternoon, and it gets soooo hot. When I get into the car after work, I feel like I'm in an oven. Could leaving the MBP in the car damage it from the heat? It could easily be 130-150F (55-65C) in the car - I have no idea. It's hotter than any normal outside temperature, because the inside of the car just bakes. You guys all know about that. It will be winter soon, but for a couple of months it'll be bad. Is there anything I can do, or any other suggestions you have?

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I think I'd be more nervous to leave it in a car than I would be to take it into work, though I suppose it depends on where you work.

I've left my MBP in my car a few times when I've gone to class, and it's always SUPER hot when I use it because I am in the desert. I've only done it a couple of times though.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
Ok well, I work in a store and the only place I could put it is in these lockers, but the MBP could not fit inside one, because they are so small. This sucks, maybe I won't be able to bring it to class at all... which is kind of the reason I got a notebook. :( I need like, a refrigerator in my car.

jarenado

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2007
Florida
get a cooler

it seems kind of ridiculous, but get a big cooler. Put just a little bit of ice, you dont want to freeze the thing, and put some sort of divider to where you MBP wont get wet.

theman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 26, 2007
hey, that sounds like a really good idea. I do have a cooler that would work. Thanks man. I think I can just fill the bottom with ice, and put some sort of rack to keep the MBP above the ice. And, put the MBP in a sealed plastic bag, just in case.

oh, or I could put a frozen water bottle in there. that would be even better...

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
"I'll just be half an hour" I thought. "No more than 45 minutes, tops".

Yeah. Came back to my car in a secure, underground, heavily trafficked parking lot to find my 15" beloved MBP gone. Bag, iPod, glasses, books, notes, everything. Gone.

Don't leave it in your car, period! Your house insurance *might* cover it (mine did to a point) but you're still going to lose your data and even if it's backed up, you'll still give the thieves access to everything that's on your 'book.

Yep, this is the voice of experience, it's miserable knowing that unknown people have rifled through my pictures, music, documents, code, everything that I held dear. I had it all backed up too so I didn't lose a thing.

Don't do it, take it with you.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
put it in the trunk

Car trunk is usually cooler than the passenger area. I always put my MBP in trunk (and lock the trunk) if I can't bring it with me.

mchank

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2006
You also have to remember that heat kills lithium ion batteries, which is what the MBP uses. I wouldn't leave an expensive piece of electronics to roast in the hot sun, but if you have no other choice, at least take the battery out with you.

Fubar

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2007
The cooler idea doesnt sound half bad. I would just make absolutly sure that the computer was sealed/wrapped in plastic so no condensation would form on it or any of the components.

The store doesnt have a secure place to put items or a safe? Thats what i have been doing at my job without a problem.

triddent222

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Somewhere interesting
hey, that sounds like a really good idea. I do have a cooler that would work. Thanks man. I think I can just fill the bottom with ice, and put some sort of rack to keep the MBP above the ice. And, put the MBP in a sealed plastic bag, just in case.

The cooler is actually a bad idea, unless you can create some sort of vacuum to separate the MBP from the ice, but that'd probably void the purpose of having a cooler anyways. Ice will melt, even if just a little bit, water will probably evaporate, and when it finds no where to go, it will condensate...on top of your MBP. Now, humid places are not really advisable for any kind of electronics, so if I were you, i would take the MBP with me, or find some other solution.

nre999

macrumors member
Aug 13, 2007
Quit.

But seriously, you can try to get a thermal cooler (keeps hot things hot and cool things cool) we have one that looks like a messenger bag (great for picnics). Stick your MBP in there and put it under your seet.

If I can find out the manugacturer I will post an update with a link.

future macnerd

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2007
It should say somewhere (either on the box, laptop, or instruction manual) how hot and how cold of a place you can put it. I think the hottest is around 100-120 degrees farenheit but I wouldn't take any chances just google it or look on the places previously listed:D

aaronw1986

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2006
you don't want to leave it in the car. What about getting a lock for the lock port, and locking it up somewhere at work?

jaydub

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Just as a minor test, I left my MBP in the car for a while when I was at my girlfriend's house. I went inside and had dinner, then came back out and got my computer. I ran SMCFanControl to see what the temp was, and it was already cooking along at 66ºC. That can't be very good for it, and it was only in the car for a total of about two hours.

Of course, I am in the desert but it was already nearing sundown. Just some food for thought.

mkgm1

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2007
If you don't have anywhere to put it at work, do not leave it in the car. Do not put it in one of those cooler boxes either, because the condensation could cause problems. Is there anywhere at school you could leave it? Would it be safe in a locker? Could you not give it to a mate to take home?

l33r0y

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Find somewhere secure at work to leave it, like a managers office.

Put it in a rucksack and use a combination/luggage lock to bind the zips together.

Find out if their insurance will cover it if it goes missing.

gdesalvo@umail.

macrumors member
May 1, 2007
put a chunk of dry ice in the cooler with the MBP separated by a small shelf. Just leave the top of the cooler open or you might run into freezing the battery which is probably not too good for it either.

and yeah condensation is probably worse for the laptop than the heat can do. The inside of your computer gets to 50-60 easily. Just take the battery with you.

aerove

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2007
Atlanta,GA
Better request ur boss to keep it with him in his cabin or whatsoever.. dont leave it in ur car and i'm DEFINITELY NOT gonna put my $2000 laptop in a can of ice!!!:eek:

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
idk..considering when I play games the thing gets up to 80C+...i wouldn't say it would break anything. I sincerely doubt your car will hit 80C.

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
I ordered a 2.2 MBP, and it should be here by the end of the week. I am a student, and I really want to bring it to class. However, after my classes, I have to go to work. I don't want to bring my MBP into work for risk of breaking it, or it getting stolen. I have no use for it at work. The only thing I can do, is bring it to class, drive to work, and leave it in the car. But I am at work in the afternoon, and it gets soooo hot. When I get into the car after work, I feel like I'm in an oven. Could leaving the MBP in the car damage it from the heat? It could easily be 130-150F (55-65C) in the car - I have no idea. It's hotter than any normal outside temperature, because the inside of the car just bakes. You guys all know about that. It will be winter soon, but for a couple of months it'll be bad. Is there anything I can do, or any other suggestions you have?

I put my MB in the truck where it is cooler and out of sight. Being a little cooler in the truck it shouldn't be too bad. The MBP does run around 100 degree anyway so it is used to the heat :) It you can bring it with you, I would recommend it. If you can't, truck it.

The Stig

The Stig

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2006
On the track
put a chunk of dry ice in the cooler with the MBP separated by a small shelf. Just leave the top of the cooler open or you might run into freezing the battery which is probably not too good for it either.

and yeah condensation is probably worse for the laptop than the heat can do. The inside of your computer gets to 50-60 easily. Just take the battery with you.

Are you joking? You put your MBP in a cooler with dry ice?!?!?! I wouldn't recommend that at all!

The Stig

invasian

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2007
Houston
Take care of your baby. Do NOT put it in your car. Do NOT put it in a cooler. The best solution is to do what someone had mentioned, and that is to leave it in your manager's office. Otherwise, drop it off at home first prior to going to work if possible.

People leave babies in the car and look what happens. Take care of your baby. And people never put babies in a cooler...at least not normal people.

MikeyTree

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2007
If you absolutely must put it in your car, which I don't recommend, then put it in a cooler, but use the following precautions.
- Do NOT use ice, or dry ice, or any other sort of chemical that will melt and come in contact with your MBP. Buy a sealed freezer pack, which you cool by putting in your freezer, then put in the bottom of the cooler.
- Don't put your MBP in contact with the pack. Put it on top of some sort of stand.
- Put your MBP in a big freezer bag. You can get really big ones at Target and the like.

But seriously, I don't recommend putting it in the car, especially if it's in plain sight to passers by! It could very easily get stolen, and even if it's not it could get cooked.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.