Leave MBP running with lid closed, no monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bigfried, Feb 9, 2009.

1. bigfried macrumors newbie

Is it possible to just leave the MBP running overnight with the lid closed, no external monitor, to download and run long tasks. I have tried putting to sleep and waking by plugging in an external keyboard or using the apple remote, but it just wakes up for a few seconds then goes back to sleep.

2. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

3. mattyb240 macrumors 6502a

4. aresinferno macrumors regular

As said install insomniax...or caffeine but that prevents screen shut off too. Don't close it though. Leave the screen open as closing it can trap the heat in as it cannot escape through the back. At least that is the case on the late 2008 macbook. Insomniax even advises you not to close the screen incase it overheats. Even if you do it should be okay because downloading is not very intensive.

Or you can change it in the preferences.

5. lyl macrumors member

just let it sleep
    Option+Command+Eject
    it works well

6. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Yeah thats a really awesome thing I love about my MacBook. I have it set to a corner shortcut (or w/e it's called) and whenever a teacher is coming by I just move my mouse there and voila! :p

7. smokedog macrumors regular

If you sleep the mac how will it be active :confused:

8. DirkBreeuwer macrumors member

You don't sleep the mac, you just sleep the screen

9. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Why must it be awake? Torrents? Many torrent applications (I know transmission does) prevents your mac from sleeping while downloading. Otherwise if its just for other downloads here or there, just disable sleep for the time being and leave the screen open. The screen turns off, or you just gan turn of the backlight (F1)

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Does it really matter why it must be awake? All the OP wants to know is how to keep it awake and the answer is to use InsomniaX.

11. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Well he said leave on to download and run long tasks. If he is downloading torrents, those applications have options to prevent system sleep while actively downloading. So no change or additional programs would be required.

12. smokedog macrumors regular

That might be the case but if you close the lid or press "Option+Command+Eject" it will put the system to sleep.

The only way I know how to sleep my display is to set it as a hot corner or by but Shift-Control-Eject.