Leaving Apple and joining the Samsung brigade due to iCloud.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by booyah2014, Apr 21, 2016.

1. booyah2014 macrumors member

Anyone else find that Apple have gone too far with device integration across multiple platforms with iCloud? It's the reason I'm leaving Apple and getting rid of my iPhone, iMac and iPad.

I know iCloud is useful to many, but I have multiple devices I share with family members and find that iCloud has become so smothering with Keychain, Mail, Safari, Photos etc being shared between devices. Yes I know all of these can be disabled individually and/or iCloud turned off but Apple push you to use iCloud in some capacity so much! Starting up a new device for the first time, numerous screens asking for Keychain, iCloud permissions etc.

I just want to use my phone, laptop, desktop and tablet without having to keep track of which devices have which information.

Anyone else find iCloud has gone too far with integration? I just feel smothered!

2. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

So ... make different iCloud accounts. You are not obligated to use iCloud at all if you don't want.

3. booyah2014 thread starter macrumors member

I know I can create different iCloud accounts, but you can't create multiple iPad logins, meaning family members would have to sign in and out of iCloud on it each time. Not a deal in itself but when different people have different photos, emails, browsing history, reminders etc that have to be deleted and re-downloaded each time it's tiresome.

I just don't like how far Apple have gone with pushing iCloud to customers. It's very hard not to use iCloud on an Apple device.

4. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

That defeats the point, the apps and stuff i buy should be available on all my devices if i so choice. but i don't need the fog and crap just spurting everywhere. I'm with the OP, it's like a virus iCloud at time.

5. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

So you're going to switch from iCloud to the even more invasive Google services on the Samsung? I understand the lack of multiple log-ins is an annoyance when multiple people use one device, but the other stuff doesn't make any sense. You can turn any iCloud syncing off that you don't want on a device. It's not hard at all. The lack of multiple log ins makes a lot more sense than the other things you are proposing.

I'm sorry, what? The apps you purchase are tied to your Apple ID and can be used on as many devices as you wish, so that's not accurate. This isn't any different with Google either. Your purchases are tied to your Google account. So switching to an Android phone won't make a bit of difference there.

6. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

Things on Google side aren't much better either...

If you log in on YouTube app, Android system will automatically log you into Gmail, Drive and other Google apps. And you cannot individually log out of each app.

Both companies like to shove things down our throats.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems pretty easy to select not to use it if that is desired.

8. booyah2014 thread starter macrumors member

It's just gone to far IMO, and too smothering for the "regular" user/family that have multiple products.

Great if you're a professional who needs easy access when switching from one device to another, but if you want an element of privacy and share devices, Apple make it very awkward and cumbersome.

I miss the old days/golden age, when iCloud was just for additional storage. Not for storing EVERYTHING (passwords, photos, wallet, emails, logins etc).

At the very least, I shouldn't have to log into an Apple account/iCloud to download a free app from the App Store.

Just had enough.

9. e93to macrumors 6502a

e93to

OP does have a point.

Unlike phones or computers, tablets seem to be shared with family members quite a lot. They are used as streaming devices, photo albums, etc by each family member. Multi user account should at least become available on tablets.

10. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

Thats the point. if every one has separate ids...! and the family plan suck before you comment on that.
    I don't give a damn about google, I'm not going there, I'm commenting on iCloud and the way it wants to control everything you do because apple have a single vision of how the perfect person should use their device. its over bearing and controlling. I have go my own work around which is one iCloud for the family to utilise backups and shared photo then another account for msg. still not perfect as changes pop up all over the place still.

11. booyah2014, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016

booyah2014 thread starter macrumors member

Have you lived with doing this across multiple iOS devices with individual preferences for each device?

Biggest annoyance today was logging out of one iCloud account on a shared iPad, which meant 4.5Gb of photos had to be deleted from the device as they were saved on iCloud before logging into a different account.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 21, 2016 ---
    This guy gets it 100%.

I'm not a Google fan at all, but you've hit the nail on the head there - Apple have a single vision for how the perfect customer should use their device, probably some kind of creative professional who is the sole user of his/her devices.

iCloud is totally not geared towards a family with multiple users who have different uses for devices.

I know Google/Android/Samsung etc require logins and accounts but at least they don't emphasise their cloud-type service as much as Apple do and certainly don't push it down your throat the way Apple do.

It's a shame as I love the build quality and premium feel of Apple devices, I just feel it's time to take a step back from being so integrated with Apple's intended "way of life".

12. AFEPPL macrumors 68020

AFEPPL

I have around a dozen devices and i know where you're coming from. its a complete endless cycle of pain.
    The system works fine if the ideal person has one phone and an iPad and wants synchronicity across those devices without sharing to others.

Multiply that by a family, equals pain.
    icloud is designed as a person, not a group. that's it problem.

13. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

each to their own, icloud is a big reason why I like apple due to syncing everything to all my devices but saying that this is only me and not family.

14. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I'm commenting on Google because the OP wants to switch to Android. It's kind of a pertinent discussion topic. Having said that, I do agree that the lack of multiple log-ins is craptastic ... and the family plan is just bizarre and horrible.

iCloud is great when one person is involved. Not with several. You'd think Apple would have done something about that by now. Or they just want us all to have our own devices and spend more money.

15. booyah2014 thread starter macrumors member

Don't get me wrong, iCloud is superb for the typical "Apple" user - probably some kind of app/web dev, or creative type who has a studio, office and home office working alone across multiple devices.

But wow do they pressure you into using iCloud. It's possible to use multiple Apple devices that are shared without using iCloud across them, but Apple makes it so un-user friendly.

Things like Keychain, iCloud backup, iCloud Drive etc......it never ends.

Guarantee when iOS 10 is introduced there will be at least 2 or 3 new iCloud linked features that will only probably apply to working creative professionals.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

So you want things shared but you don't want to use iCloud for it?

17. \-V-/, Apr 21, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2016

\-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Or a normal human being that likes iCloud and the way it works and doesn't need to have special circumstances for it to be great.

No ... they don't. You don't have to use any of their services. You can use no iCloud services and just sync to third-party apps or to your computer via iTunes. You don't ever need to use iCloud.

You don't need to use any of those things. You're being really overdramatic.

And you don't need to use those either. You're just trying to find a reason to switch to Android ... which is fine ... go switch ... but Google offers many similar services ... services you aren't required to use either but they are there for you if you need them.

18. Peter K. macrumors 6502a

Peter K.

I didn't realize that so many iPads and other tablets were shared by multiple users, if that is the case. I consider my iPad just as personal an item as my iPhone. I wouldn't share either with anyone.

19. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm always honest and straight forward with people. It sounds like you are trying to convince yourself that leaving is the right thing to do. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone, Just go.

20. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I'd rather be fully signed in with iCloud than google if I'm honest.

21. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Just how hard did Apple push you?

I mean, I dropped iCloud for contacts and such in late 2012. Google Contacts works with every device, including iPhone.

I'm typing this on a souped up 2001 era PowerMac G4 Quicksilver. I own exactly ONE 2006 era Intel Mac.

No iCloud on my Macs. No App Store, no iCloud Keychain, no Air Drop, no iTunes past iTunes 10.6.3, no syncing with iPhones that have lightning connectors, No Messages app, no modern Apple stuff.

I'm doing just fine.

So, again. Just how HARD did Apple push you?

22. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm struggling to understand the OP's point if I'm honest - iCloud and it's constituent parts are in no way mandatory but are there if you want to use them. Don't want to use iCloud photos? Switch it off. Same with keychain, mail, backups or iCloud in total of that's what you want
    I've recently stopped using iCloud photos in favour of Google photos because I don't like the fact the iCloud photos only uploads on WiFi: all I did was turn it off and everything still works fine. Obviously my camera roll is no longer shared across devices because I've disabled that functionality

23. nia820 macrumors 68000

nia820

So you're leaving ios and osx because you're tired of the iCloud integration?

The are a lot of reasons to leave iOS for Android (and I mean a lot). But iCloud integration isn't one of them.

Sounds kinda of silly to me. But to each his/her own.

24. BenGieCruz macrumors member

BenGieCruz

Somebody got caught doing something shady =P

25. Newtons Apple macrumors G5

Newtons Apple

You will find Google service way more invasive! Google is not to be trusted, either.