Leaving AT&T Unlimited Plan

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by pooleman, Apr 12, 2012.

1. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I have a few questions about the AT&T Unlimited plan. I was curious if anyone here left the plan and was happy doing so. What plan did you move to? I am most curious if anyone managed to negotiate a cheaper deal on the 5GB with tethering option. Is AT&T willing to negotiate? Did anyone have a good experience or is it more trouble than it's worth?

2. aa521490 macrumors regular

I have the iPhone unlimited data. I've only gone over 1GB once since the iPhone 3G. I have the iPhone 4S now. I am wanting to go to the ATT 5GB + tether so I can connect it to my laptop. I want to know too.

3. fanboy05 macrumors regular

fanboy05

We have 2 phones on the unlimited plan, one on tiered plan. I wouldn't leave the unlimited plan on the 2 phones. Having to pay extra on the other one has bit us in the butt more than once.

We tether with itether without trouble. It I could get unilimited on that third one, we would, even throttled we get good enough speeds. I don't like surprises on the bill. Usually by the time I see the text with the overage notice on the 3rd phone we are Already on the line for the extra data cost:mad:

4. highertechnology macrumors 6502a

At the rate wireless cellular download speeds continue to increase, I would not cancel my unlimited for anything. I have a new ipad with 4G and burned 2gb on LTE in a week. You consume so much more data just because you can.

5. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

I left unlimited and went with 2 GB (I believe). I don't think I've ever even hit 1 GB per month. I'm saving $10 a month no, and now, I don't fear hitting my cap as we move to LTE. As long as you don't stream too much video or browse continuously for hours upon hours (which I never do) I think you'll be fine. I'm also not a huge game player.

6. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

I have iTether also but have been afraid to use it for fear that I will be forcibly removed from my unlimited plan. I also have a wifi only iPad 2 and wanted to have the hotspot feature on iphone so I could use iPad on the move. But I also fear unforeseen bills. I was also hoping that if they negotiate I could get the 5gig hot-spotting and save a few bucks.

7. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

FYI Unlimited was $30, 2GB was $25, the current 3GB is $30

8. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I went from unlimited to the 3GB plan and dont regret it at all. I can still stream tons of music, and video, and really not have any issues with the cap. I was surprised how much i could do with the 3GB plan, i watched tons of Hulu+ at the airport last month and barely hit my cap.

9. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

I have copies of your posts where you said you went form unlimited to the 200MB plan. Which is it?

10. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I think on my iPad and iPhone I have tried every plan. You do know you can change them at will, at anytime to suit your needs right?

11. vigilant macrumors 6502

vigilant

I went from unlimited to the 5GB tethering option. There isn't any negotiating with AT&T. Everyone pays the same price.

If price is a concern, you may want to check if the company you work for has any corporate discounts with AT&T. I know my girlfriends company gives us 20% off of our minutes which is nice.

In terms of any regrets, not really. I use my phone quite liberally and I've ever gone over. I rarely ever go over 3GB. The pricing for AT&T for tethering is fairly competitive in my opinion, but everyone's needs are different.

I've attached a link to a screenshot of my usage so you can see what I mean. http://cl.ly/Fm8x

12. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

If I spoke incorrectly I apologize. I have a pretty good memory and I am used to our adversarial relationship.

13. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

No worries. I was just replying to the quote notification that popped up.

14. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

I still think you work for AT&T.;)

15. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

You are correct. My mistake.

Regardless I don't regret leaving my 'unlimited' plan.

16. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

Unfortunately no, but I'd like their emplyee discount however.:D

17. Smileyboy macrumors 65816

Smileyboy

I thought about the same. However, it seems that the throttling speeds have changed... my phone is still usable so I am happily sticking with unlimited.

Can't wait till a new JB comes out though.

18. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

I was still able to watch Netflix after the last throttle, so I am happy about that. I just sometimes wish my iPad was more usable when on the road.

19. bluespider macrumors 6502

bluespider

I was looking to do the same thing... I called AT&T and they are unwilling to negotiate plans, it's one or the other... that really sucks because I am paying $30 for unlimited data (of which I will now not give up) I would have to go to their 5Gig plan + tethering and pay $50 a month... I just can't understand or justify the less data for more money.... I would happily pay the same $30 for less data and functionality but charge me more for less... come on!!!!:mad:

20. robopath, Apr 12, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2012

robopath macrumors regular

I left a while ago after I got the tethering warning, I went to the 4GB for $45. If I am ever close, I'll bump up to the 5GB knowing that I can't go back. Even with tethering, I only use about 1-1.5 GB. I am fortunate enough to have the new ipad on the grandfathered unlimited plan though. My wife uses it for work but whenever I need to watch my slingbox for a game or something, I use that. I canceled cable at my cottage because of that thing.

21. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

I'm never leaving the unlimited plan.

Just think when new iPhone comes out we'll have 5GB of unhindered data available to us!!!

22. BiggAW macrumors 68020

If you are willing to lose it and want tethering that bad, just tether with MiWi on a Jailbroken iPhone, and if they kick you off, they kick you off. If you really want to keep unlimited, don't tether.

23. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

MattMJB0188

This was a REALLY bad move, as with the unlimited plan you get 3GB of high-speed data. If you exceeded that on the unlimited plan you didn't have any overages but now you will if you exceed that on the 3GB plan.

----------

No guarantee of that. Right now LTE users have that, but who says once the LTE network becomes saturated with iPhone users AT&T won't decrease the limit? Nothing is written in stone.

24. pooleman thread starter Suspended

pooleman

written_in_stone.jpg

25. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

AT&T forced me to 2GB because of tethering lol