Leaving ATT - question about ETF

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 1981d, Sep 24, 2013.

1. 1981d macrumors regular

So, here's my story-

I bought a Space Grey 16 GB ATT from Radio Shack on launch day, there wasn't even anyone in the store. I passed 2 ATT stores with lines around the building to get to the RS. Bought with upgrade. My wife wasn't eligible so she was stuck with her 5:(

Today, I decided to switch to Sprint because they recently added LTE coverage here in San Antonio, and I have family that are satisfied with the service. (Will save about $150 a month over ATT) So I was blessed to find the only Sprint Store in SA that still had 5s's in stock, and bought a 16 GB Space Grey and a 32GB Silver ( had to call about seven stores, all the others offered to put me on a weeks long waiting list, but this one got a few in today).

So, we are going to owe ATT about $600 in ETF for leaving, and I'm planning to sell my 5s & her 5 to cover those expenses. I see that game stop will give you about $300 for a 5 and I'll sell the 5s on eBay for more $$. Does anyone know when I will have to pay the termination fee to ATT? Will it be added to my final bill or is it due immediately? If anyone has ever gone through that process your insight would be appreciated. Thanks:)

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Just curious, but if you were leaving AT&T why didn't you return the 5s before porting your number? That way you save having to pay AT&T an ETF, get your $199+tax+upgrade fee back and then go to Sprint for the 5s?

3. MegaBit macrumors member

Exactly! Pursue the refund option first.

ETF will get billed right away along with the final pro-rated bill if you are closing your account all together.

4. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

Well, here's the math ( but I'm a liberal arts major, so please correct me if I miss something):

The early term fee on the 5s is $325, but they are selling on eBay for $700+. If I sell it for that, I would walk away with a little more profit than if I just returned it for my initial subsidized price. I

5. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Ah, ok. As long as you had a legitimate plan. Just wanted to try and help you avoid a headache if you weren't aware. Carry on.

6. macbookman83 macrumors 6502

I would like to help you and buy the 5s from you

7. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

LOL, I already put it on EBay and it sold in less than 5 mins. Sorry! Demand for these things is crazy.

8. deeddawg macrumors 603

Be careful to ensure you know all the costs of selling on ebay as well as the effect of cancelling AT&T service within the first 14 days and not returning the phone.

Selling the phone for $700 on ebay will net you about $600 - various ebay fee calculators on the net, so run some numbers.

Check whether your state charges sales tax on ETF charges; an extra 8% or whatever is real money on $650 in ETF charges.

Also ensure you know exactly what AT&T does when the line is cancelled inside the 14 day return period. Typically you'd return the phone and cancel service, so if you keep the phone they might charge you the remainder of the unsubsidized price (plus tax) instead of the $325 ETF.

9. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

just take it back to radio shack for a return.. they will reprocess the upgrade back to att.. then cancel your plan.. keep the receipts..

Assuming she(wife) is a year in her ETF should be less then 200..

----------

save yourself the trouble of ebay scams and return it..

10. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Ouch that last part could really be a killer

11. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

This! I think the OP has just screwed themselves as there is absolutely no way AT&T would let you get away with that.

12. 1981d thread starter macrumors regular

That's good advice. PayPal flagged my buyer as a problem so I'm just going to look into the return. Thanks for the advice!!

13. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

This is from AT&T's terms if you cancel service within the first 14 days:

Source

14. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Good choice :)

Too many pitfalls to risk just over a couple of $ in profit.

15. deeddawg macrumors 603

Excellent find, I knew I'd seen something like that at one time but didn't spot it in a quick glance at the return policy.

This is added incentive for the OP to consider getting that equipment back into AT&T's hands.