Leaving Blackberry and coming to iphone... just a few questions

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by itsjustmeee, Dec 30, 2008.

1. itsjustmeee macrumors 6502a

Hello all. Well, I'm going to say goodbye to my Curve and hello to a new iPhone in about a week and I just have a few questions for the all knowing ones here.
    1. First off, what will I be sacrificing as far as my email goes. I have 4 pop accounts and I know that this is where Blackberry phones really shine. What will I be giving up feature-wise with my new iPhone?

2. Will setting up my email accounts on the iphone be as simple as hooking it up to my macbook and letting a tab in itunes do the work or do I have to actually set up each of the 4 accounts on the iphone itself.

3. Will the iphone accept the simm card with all of my saved phone numbers from the Blackberry or do I have to re-enter all of the contacts? If so, is there a way to my phone list from the Curve to the iPhone??

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

First, you can't search emails. Each email account is not downloaded into just one folder as on your BB, you have to open the email app and then click on whatever email account you want to use.

Setting up the accounts is easy, just sync from your computer. You will then have to enter the passwords for each on the phone the first time.

Phone numbers can be copied off the sim as well but it's just name and number, no other entries.

Also, there is no copy and paste, no MMS, no creataing folders for apps, no themes, no searching the whole phone for something, apps can't run in the background, you can't copy/paste/move photos to other folders, can't create folders on phone itself for photos. That's just the stuff I can remember for now.

3. gregk205 macrumors member

Yeah I went from a Blackberry to an Iphone for about 6 months. I couldn't deal with the email issue's and the time it takes to do anything like make a call or send an email. Oh and I got really tired of no MMS and the site that they use instead of mms was never working. So I got tired of waiting for apple to fix some things that every phone should have but the iPhone doesn't. So I have moved on to a Blackberry bold and couldn't be happier. I wanted to love the iPhone since I love all things apple. But I just couldn't.

I would say with your 5 Pop accounts. If you want to receive mail from them. Stick with the Blackberry. If you want to play games on your phone and don't care about your email. Get the iPhone.

4. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

stick with blackberry until apple garantee you a less-toy firmware for iphone.

5. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Worst advice.

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

While this is flame bait; the truth is, OP, that if you're expecting the iPhone to be as good as the BlackBerry when it comes to email and such, you're in for a disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, the iPhone is good. It's very good. But if you're a Blackberry die hard (like many of my friends are), you may be disappointed in the iPhone, in terms of email support and features.

7. sparkyms macrumors 65816

1. I'm not sure what the curve does in way of attachments and such but you won't be able to add in any attachments to emails, only forward attachments on, and add pictures.

2. It will be provided you have the email accounts set up in apple mail, then you'll be ready to roll straight away.

3. Not sure, can you iSync contacts to your Mac with BlackBerry? If you can you won't need to worry, you can sync your Mac addressbook to the iPhone, I don't think you can move the contacts from the SIM.

Hope this helps buddy. x

8. colinmack macrumors regular

Moved from a Curve to an iPhone 6 months ago, couldn't be happier.

From my perspective, email is a lot more usable on an iPhone (they now look like real emails, not mini-bastardizations of the originals), the sync is better (I can now archive an email on my desktop and it cleanly goes away on the iPhone, the BB could never do something that simple), and the ability to get email over WiFi is a huge benefit (when you travel a lot, having to rely on mind-numbing international data rates to read a simple email is more than annoying, especially when there are so many WiFi hotspots around).

While there are a few minor things I'd love to see on the iPhone, and the virtual keyboard isn't as speedy for the hard-core CrackBerry addicts, the trade-offs are more than worth it in my mind, and comparing the two seems almost silly - for my use the iPhone does email better, the phone is at par, and the browser/app/multimedia functionality is clearly in a completely different league...it's at the point where I now often leave my laptop home and rely on my iPhone for everything, which I could never imagine with the BB.

YMMV ;)

9. jdzialak macrumors regular

I switched from a Curve a month ago. I don't miss it.
    But, everyone is different.

Joe

10. ljx718 macrumors 6502

how do you sync email to your desktop?

11. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

obsvuly i was been sarcastic. you should only bought an iphone when apple releases some hard mail features like search or real attchments.

12. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Sacrifices as far as email?

1) Unless you have Yahoo or are willing to pay for MobileMe, then you are sacrificing PUSH email notifications.

2) Ability to add attachments.

3) Ability to have multiple accounts dump in to one set of folders.

13. itsjustmeee thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm an avid fan of tech podcasts and blogs, so I'm quite aware of both of these phones and their pluses and minuses. The bottom line for me is that my job doesn't depend on emails and text messages, so I think I'll be fine with the iphone email situation. I travel quite a bit, so there's a lot of time sitting in airports, lobbies, etc and the Blackberry just isn't "fun" enough for me. Nothing feels like a Blackberry keyboard, but web surfing is a real chore. The iphone for me will be an entertainment device above all. It's nice to so "reachable" by all of the Blackberry email, text and chat options, but from now on if someone wants to tell me something, they can just call me!!

14. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

Well, without knowing you personally and having just read this, then the switch is a no brainer.

FOR YOU.

It sounds like you have your priorities figured out and it sounds to me like the iPhone would work better for you.

And as a bonus, you can still get your emails, just without push.

15. colinmack macrumors regular

?

Push email with Exchange works perfectly fine, syncs both email and calendar over the air...in fact it works better than my Curve did, as it also synchronizes emails being moved to local desktop folders, and works over WiFi.

16. Tenorsaw macrumors regular

In regards to #1, BIS has it's limitations as well. No true IMAP synchronization (yes, I keep saying this because I hate it). You can't view your folders, if you check an email on your desktop it doesn't reflect on your BB. All BIS does is check your email and forward it to your BB. You only get push if RIM has a partnership with that particular provider. Otherwise, you have to wait for your mail to come in. You can't check it manually.

#2 is true.

#3 is true as well, but an easy fix if Apple addresses it (although it does drive me nuts).

17. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

I was only listing sacrifices.

PUSH would have to be sacrificed.

I wasn't listing positives, but yes, IMAP would be a positive for sure.

And yes, I forgot about Exchange and was only thinking for personal use.