Leaving for Ireland, will GPS work w/o cellular data on 4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rbkhockey83, Jun 22, 2012.

1. rbkhockey83 macrumors member

I'm leaving for Ireland tomorrow for two weeks and I was originally going to purchase an Ireland SIM card, like O2, but I'm on a plan with my family and we never got around to going to Verizon to figure it out. So I'm turning off cellular data all together on my Verizon 4S. Will I still be able to use GPS/Maps on my iPhone even though the data is off? And what about the GPS on my iPad 3rd gen, will that work?

Also I never got around to getting an official Apple UK adapter and I'm not paying $40 for the World set, will plugging the AC-USB adapter into a UK adapter work ok?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

You will need a GPS app with maps (of Ireland of course) that are preloaded on your phone.

Adapters will works just fine too. The easiest thing to do might just be to buy a wall charger in ireland with a USB plug built in. USB is universal.

3. jmcgeejr macrumors 6502

jmcgeejr

Yes you should be fine, you will need an app with offline maps, and just pick up any cheap usb charger there, just bring your iPod cable for it and you will be good to go. If you are still in the states just give vz a call now and they will unlock your sim so you can pop it in when you get there. SHould only take about 20 minutes max.

4. 3bs macrumors 603

3bs

Why don't you get a 3 prepaid sim card? You can top up by 20 euro and get free texts to any network in Ireland and free 3 to 3 calls and free any Irish network calls during the weekend and most importantly unlimited data plus tethering.

5. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Just call Verizon already. You don't have to go to a store. Jeez. :rolleyes:

6. rbkhockey83 thread starter macrumors member

I hear you guys haha, I did all the research and figured it out.. then my dad ordered rental phones from Verizon for Ireland :confused::confused::confused:

He gives into anything the people say at Verizon... he payed for those phones plus over a dollar per minute, 50 cents per sent text, and 5 cents for receiving a text. The phones they gave them don't even do data. We had it all worked out for the sim cards.. and he caved and got those :mad:

Which maps would you recommend getting?

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I still can't believe you guys have to pay to receive calls and texts. That's just nuts.

8. rbkhockey83 thread starter macrumors member

I know, it's rediculous. I don't know what my dad was thinking, I should have gone to the store with him.. Verizon will say anything for our $$