Leaving MacBook on all day, connected to monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Yumunum, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Okay, so I've been trying to decide whether to get an iMac or a MacBook, but I've figured I'd need the portability every once in awhile and so my only choice would be the MacBook. However, most of the time I'd like to use it in a desktop-computer kind of way. I guess I'd leave it plugged into it's charger, closed, connected to an external monitor, and whenever I needed it I could wake it up and do everything normally.

But my concern is the battery... The iMac in my home is on all day and night, barely ever restarted, and it's been that way for like 5 years. But I'm guessing there's a big difference between what's powering that and what powers a MacBook. I don't know too much about battery technology, so I'm asking here. Would leaving a MacBook on (on sleep most of the time) --- just like an iMac --- lower it's overall battery lifetime? Would it damage anything else in the computer? It'd be plugged into it's MagSafe connecter, connected to an external display, 24/7.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, it would. If you're operating in clamshell mode most of the time, just remember to take a break and run on battery for a few hours every few days, to exercise the battery. It's not good to run on AC power all the time. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery questions:

3. parapup macrumors 65816

parapup

That's how I have always used my MBPs for past few years. No issues. Although running down the battery once every 2-3 weeks sounds like a good thing to do.

4. genexrocket macrumors regular

I had my 15" MBP connected to a monitor since 2008 without any issues. I disconnect the MBP from the monitor maybe once a week to drain down the battery.

5. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

Apple recommends you drain the battery to empty about once a month. But it runs perfectly fine.

I personally run with the display open as I switch my 27" ACD from my MBP to my PC quite often and my MBP sometimes has trouble waking up when the lid is closed (no problem when the lid is open).