LED light...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Harp77, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Harp77 macrumors member

Harp77

With so much talk about a fingerprint reader, which I think is a total waste but thats another story - I have not heard any rumbles about a possible LED light on the front to alert for new msgs, phone calls, etc like Blackberry had and most smartphones have now.

THAT is what I am praying for!! :D

2. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

I thought I wanted this on an iPhone until I had one on my S4.

It was annoying as heck at night and all the colors got kind of confusing.

3. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Oh brother, not ANOTHER alert light post.

Apple prides itself being different than the pack. So if all your argument is, the others guys have it, that's not gonna even worth 25 cents.

Should buy an Apple laptop. There is no power light, no HD activity light, no sleep light. It's all minimalist Apple.

Are they gonna change? seeing IO7, not likely.

4. g35 macrumors 6502a

It's possible to implement it properly. Eg on the Nexus 4, it's one color (or customizable if you install a custom ROM) and pulses gently - would not bother anyone at night.

5. Harp77 thread starter macrumors member

Harp77

For me, its not so much that other's have it - its that it is one of the most useful items to have. I love not having the phone on mute and vibrate off and just knowing if I have a message when the light comes on.

yes, I know one can use the flash on the back but I don't want a spotlight to alert me - just a simple light. :eek:

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Now that I have a HTC One, I don't see what the big fuss about them was. YMMV.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Maybe not what you want, but jailbreak and install FlashEnhancer. Uses the LED flash for notifications. That's what I use.

8. Beelzbub macrumors regular

I am right there with you. People can say what they want, but its a nice feature to have, disable it if you don't want to use it, that simple.

If I leave my office and go down the hall for a quick meeting, I have no idea if I have a missed phone call or text when I get back unless I power up the phone. When I get back to my office if I am sidetracked with something else, I don't think to pick up the phone to look to see if I missed a call or text.

Hopefully it will be on the next iPhone, and if not, its not the end of the world, but its a feature I have missed since ditching my BlackBerry.

9. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Uhhh, while I agree about the indicator light on the phone all macs have a "sleep" light:

[​IMG]

and while I can't find a video of it the "breath" or have a "heartbeat", depending on how you want to describe it.

Additionally, there's the bettery idicator light:
    [​IMG]

This is not saying they're like other laptops; these guys are classy, but they are there.

10. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

The retina macbook pros don't have them.

The fat macbook pros will become slim in the near future and i'm sure those won't have them either.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

And this is why we have iStat Menus. HD activity indicator, network activity indicator, etc.

Apple likes to be minimalist, but I'm one of those that likes to be made aware that activity is occurring on my devices.

12. robotphood macrumors 6502a

I'm for it. It may be annoying for some of you but I find it useful on my s4 and would love it on my iPhone. You just need to install light manager, light flow or the other various apps to control which apps use it and what color you want assigned to them. It's nice to just glance at my phone and know what kind of notification I have without touching it. Easily disabled and muted with do not disturb settings as well. Plus, when it's off you don't see a physical led so "minimalistic" aesthetics are maintained. Something like the Moto x active display would also be nice, although wouldn't be feasible without an amoled scene.