Lee, Chicago Flooding.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by squeeks, Jul 25, 2010.

1. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

Lee,

I saw the flooding going on in the chicago area, I hope you and any of our other members in the area are not being effected.

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

3. 184550 Guest

4. jknight8907 macrumors 6502a

jknight8907

More likely to be affected than effected.

5. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

7. Dany M macrumors 6502

My sisters basement flooded in Westchester. The water broke through the windows on the storm drain. The water was almost to the first floor, just one step down. I went over today and they had a pump taking water out and the water was receding and below the first step. The basement was humid, hot, swealty and just damp. We were not sweating when we went down, the water vapors in the air were attracting towards us, just a complete mess taking stuff how. Thankfully their wasn't a rat or something just a scorpion.

They had a 40'' tv, att uverse set, their office/storage room, bedroom that was meant to be my niece. Took 4 people about 3 hours to get everything out and when we were done, we were just covered in filth.

8. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

no.

9. 184550 Guest

10. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

me too. although I'm fueling the flames by posting :eek:

11. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

I think squeeks is posting a public announcement of concern and support for a fellow member.

Its common practice in many internet driven communities.

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I think Flooding would fall under the subject of 'Social Issues'. And the fact that Lee is in the middle of it would make it doubly so. Just like how Katrina, Rita, Hugo, and others were Social Issues until the government gets involved, bringing Politics into it as well.

In short, the topic is apropos to this forum.

BL.

13. 184550 Guest

Not to be confrontational, this is the first community I've ever seen something like this posted publicly. In other communities I've always heard of things like this being done through PMs due to the usually personal nature of the concern(s).

14. Rt&Dzine macrumors 6502a

Rt&Dzine

It was directed at Lee AND any other members in the Chicago area.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

I don't see anything on MSN.com or CNN about flooding... is it me?

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

If you watch the weather channel, they are covering it. Seems pretty bad too

17. 184550 Guest

ABC World News had a bit about it towards the end of the program. Evidently a dam burst from several days worth of heavy rain and a vast majority of these people don't have flood insurance to cover the damage.

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Hmm well I'm a part of several skiing online communities in particular TGR and many people there are quite closely connected (through the web and often person to person).

When accidents (avalanches, bad crashes, etc.) happen the news is generally posted publicly so that everyone is kept up to date on what is happening and people can send their best wishes to family and friends.

++++vibes++++ :D

EDIT: If I remember correctly Lee lives near the old Chicago Wallgreens which is near lake front so it can't hurt to keep him and his neighbors in our thoughts.

19. squeeks thread starter macrumors 68040

squeeks

exactly. Lee and I don't really ever see eye to eye, well on politics anyway. But i respect him as a person and as a long time member of this forum like myself and I am concerned for his and other Chicago area member's safety.

anyway,
    Here’s a link for those of you who couldn’t find it on CNN

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/07/24/illinois.chicago.flooding/index.html

On the news they made it seem a bit worse, also reporting this story at the same time:

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/07/24/dam-failure-flooding-an-awful-mess-in-iowa/

20. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

OMG! Squeeks- thanks for posting this. I'm actually on vacation on Fire Island right now. I'm going home today though. My roommate hasn't called and my insurance policy is up to date, so I'm assuming everything is fine. ;)

PoD- I bet the areas around the Chicago river are bad.

EDIT-looks like the suburbs got the worst of it. The city is built to handle this kind of thing, so most likely my place is fine.